Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Nov-17-06, 15:50

Plan: Atkins/Keto/Volek/Phinney
Stats: 153/144.6/125 Female 63.5 inches
BF:27.4%
Progress: 30%
Question Runners, c'mere!

So about 8 months ago I decided that maybe running would be the magic bullet to help me get the weight off and keep it off, for good! I had been a good little low-carber for years, but had gotten to the point where consistently staying below 1300 calories/day (I'm 5'3.5", medium build, 33 yo) and moderate exercise was still not enough and not only could I not maintain my loss (got down to 124), but the pounds would creep back on as soon as I ate a "normal" amount of calories.

But running has not worked the magic I had hoped it would--quite the opposite. I had to start increasing my carbs and calories to keep from bonking on longer runs...and the weight came with it. Even when I was running 15-20 miles/week and consistently staying under 1500 calories I wouldn't lose. After a few months of this I pretty much gave up on watching my calories and carbs obsessively.

A couple of weeks ago I ran my first half marathon...but I am still a good 10-15#s heavier than when I started running (and, no, it's not muscle...I had to go buy new pants recently and the suits in my closet for interviews are way too small, now). I'm frustrated, to say the least--who gains weight while training for a half marathon?!

I am having my thyroid checked after Thanksgiving (I have quite a few symptoms and endometrosis, which is a risk factor because it's also an autoimmune disorder), but if that's not the issue I don't know what my next step is. I don't want to quit running...my goal is to run my first marathon at age 35 (ha, when I am in the next age group up, LOL)...but if I keep gaining weight while running I don't know how I'll get there. I'm already slow...I don't need extra bulk to slow me even more.

Anyhow, assuming it's not a sluggish thyroid, what am I doing wrong? Is there anything else that would cause a person's weight to stall for so long when they are doing everything "by the book" (and then some)?

k
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Nov-19-06, 04:57

Plan: semi-low carb
Stats: 127/127/114 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Gee

1300-1500 calories w/ exercise and somewhat lower carbs seems like it should equal weight loss.

What's your long run right now? How many miles?

If it isn't too far, maybe consider induction for a few weeks to drop weight and jump start? Not sure what much mileage you have invested right now though.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Nov-19-06, 08:06

Right now my long run is back down to only 8 miles or so, but over the winter I want to get it back up. My FIL died a couple of weeks ago, so my runs have been fewer and shorter ever since my half marathon due to lots of time spent in the car going back and forth between here and my IL's house out of state (of course, all of the holiday food and meals friends have made for my MIL have not helped matters any).

I have dropped carbs a bit in the last couple of days and spent all day yesterday peeing--I've already lost a couple of pounds just from that. All the carby junk I've had in the last couple of weeks of travel really had me bloated up. I'm still almost 20#s from where I want to be, though.

I'm really thinking I might start scheduling some sort of carb-cycling to go with my runs...maybe lower carbs and calories most of the week with carb-ups a day or two before each long run. Something's gotta work....

k
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Nov-19-06, 09:00

Plan: semi-low carb
Stats: 127/127/114 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default There are some people on here that swear by

carb cycling.

I've never done it, but it makes sense.

Good luck.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Nov-19-06, 09:06

Body builders will often carb cycle, I think...though I'm sure their higher carb days would be different than mine, since they aren't doing as much aerobic work. It's definitely something to try. I just need to figure out a way to replenish my glycogen stores in my muscles for my longer runs.

I should really ask diabetics how they do it, too. There are a lot of diabetics who run and do other endurance sports (my hubby actually is very active in biking with our local JDRF chapter and there are some amazing athletes doing some very long rides to benefit the organization).

k
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Nov-19-06, 09:28
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/180/165
BF:
Progress: 25%

[QUOTE=

I should really ask diabetics how they do it, too. There are a lot of diabetics who run and do other endurance sports (my hubby actually is very active in biking with our local JDRF chapter and there are some amazing athletes doing some very long rides to benefit the organization).

k[/QUOTE]

There are diabetics that who marathons and ultramarathons. Without insulin, the body relies on other ways to get glucose into muscles or gets better at metabolizing fat for energy. Diabetics who run regularly can usually reduce their insulin dose.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Nov-19-06, 09:41

I wonder how that would translate into the body of a non-diabetic, though. Would my body figure things out the same way?

I did read recently on a running support board that regular carb restriction can help train a person's body to more efficiently use glycogen stores or run further before having to refuel for long runs and races. It's pretty interesting. We Humans are definitely pretty adaptive. The trick is to find what works without going nuts.

My hubby has joked about how highly evolved my body must be when it comes to hoarding calories, as it seems nothing I do makes much difference and he can do the same things and see drastic results. I definitely have a goofy metabolism and I have no history of starvation diets or any other unhealthy eating habits to account for it.