Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-10-17, 07:09

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%
Default What the Health

I'm bringing this over from my journal, because I'm pretty sure others on this forum will have noticed the Netflix documentary. What follows is my knee-jerk reaction.

For pete's sake! Nobody can eat ANYTHING anymore without being in danger of cancer. At least that's the conclusion a thoughtful reader and social critic must reach.

As I reported earlier (in my journal), I watched the beginning of a new documentary on Netflix called What the Health. Today I read an opinion column by dire pessimist Chris Hedges concerning this documentary and a companion book written by his wife. (No prejudice there!) The premise seems to be that "processed meat"--and dairy, eggs, and saturated fat, by the way--are the primary cause of cancer. And moreover that "getting fat" is the cause of diabetes. Pardon this abrupt summary of a movie I did not watch, and a book I have not read.

Hedges refers to the famous (to us) 1976 McGovern panel, after which the meat-and-egg producers pulled the wool over our eyes to promote unhealthy and feces-ridden industrial meat products that are killing us all. The indictment in the Hedges discussion expands "processed meat" to include all animal products. Wong cites studies: "Eating one egg a day can triple the risk of death among diabetes sufferers." Hedges also quotes an expert from the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (yeah--those guys!) who indicts cow's milk as "the single most significant chemical carcinogen to which humans are exposed."

On one thing Hedges and I do agree: massive amounts of money are spent in political lobbying by every single agricultural entity on the planet. Whether it's bacon and eggs, or "healthy whole grains," someone is going to want you to buy it and eat it. Or not.

We have to be careful about what we eat.

Personally, I prefer the clean-cut, healthy-looking advice and advisors on Diet Doctor, and the research they cite--much more recent than 1977. I also like the amazing before/after stories about real people who have improved their weight and their health through various forms of low-carbohydrate eating. Real food.

Perhaps the key word after all is "processed." Whether it's meat or eggs or dairy or fruit or even grain, the further we can get from antibiotics, pesticides, filthy processing practices, chemical preservatives, and certain kinds of genetic engineering, the better.

Pay attention, Kiddos! But don't be frightened to death.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-10-17, 08:13

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

For a serious (and long) response to the film, Robb Wolf:
https://robbwolf.com/2017/07/03/wha...lfs-eye-review/

For a hysterical response, (much needed after Robb's good but long response) is from ZDogg, MD:
http://zdoggmd.com/what-the-health/
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-10-17, 09:56

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Oh, thank you, Janet! I could follow links from here until...well, forever. This is even more entertaining/infuriating than my usual doses of political "news."

Now, back to my regularly-scheduled LC plan. I feel better already.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-10-17, 10:19

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Thanks, Janet, for two links that satisfied my curiosity about this film and prevented me from having to watch it. Robb's commentary was on the mark, but watching and listening to ZDogg as he watched the movie was priceless. I've experienced these vegan zealots before, and the misinformation they spew is astounding. Fear mongering gets them everywhere except on the road to consistently good health. One of the things I noticed was when Kip was filming in his house, the kitchen in the background appeared to be a wasteland littered with blenders and food prep accoutrements. Hmmmm, my kitchen doesn't take on that look when I'm preparing real food . . .
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-10-17, 13:14

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

I liked this response the best from zdogg (never heard of him before) because it points out, numerous times, where both "sides" are in agreement and accord

https://www.facebook.com/ZDoggMD/vi...55354926902095/

I don't think I'll watch the documentary tho as the narrator guys voice somehow gets on my nervous systems last nerve.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-19-17, 02:34

Nina Teicholz on DietDoctor:
https://www.dietdoctor.com/health-r...-solid-evidence

What the Health‘ Review: Health Claims Backed by No Solid Evidence
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-19-17, 04:31

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paQtMnrV6oM

Quote:
A Vegan Debunks 'What the Health' Documentary

Okay, Unnatural Vegan thinks a plant-based EcoAtkins is preferable to just plain Atkins, but over all, she's a voice of reason in the Vegan community. I hope a fair number of them can stand her.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jul-19-17, 05:10

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Thanks teaser, I like to listen to reasonable people. I'm always trying to keep my mind changeable. If you brainwash your brain with different detergents it might come out smelling cleanerer and fressherer!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jul-19-17, 11:04

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I watched Rachael Rae last night. She had one of those know it all health guys on, who is in his 40s and just so happened to have had a massive heart attack, recently.
His direction to be healthy like him now was eating bowls of boxed cereal, low fat foods and no red meat. I didn't last more than 3 minutes. He had a big bowl of cereal for show and tell and said he eats it all the time for his snacks.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jul-19-17, 14:07
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/LCHF
Stats: 209/185/185 Male 69
BF:reducing
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
For a hysterical response, (much needed after Robb's good but long response) is from ZDogg, MD:
http://zdoggmd.com/what-the-health/

So Good.

This part made me LOL.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jul-20-17, 03:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
I watched Rachael Rae last night. She had one of those know it all health guys on, who is in his 40s and just so happened to have had a massive heart attack, recently.
His direction to be healthy like him now was eating bowls of boxed cereal, low fat foods and no red meat. I didn't last more than 3 minutes. He had a big bowl of cereal for show and tell and said he eats it all the time for his snacks.

Was this a current show? He's still eating bowls of cereal AFTER his heart attack? Maybe only the ones with the Heart Health Check? What a moron.
So happy to see the Biggest Loser was Cancelled! Wonder how many heart attacks it caused by encouraging obese sedentary people to get off their couch and just start running.

I had never seen ZDoggMD before either, but the FatHead FB page is my endless source of the comic take on diets. The author and most of his "followers" have a similar sense of humor, which with movies like that, is much needed.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jul-20-17, 17:40

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Janet, you hit the nail on the head. The fellow who was on Rachael Rae and just had the heart attack was Bob Harper.

Quote:
"The Biggest Loser's Bob Harper Was Hospitalized After a Heart Attack"

"Bob Harper, the fitness guru who was a trainer on and later the host of weight-loss competition The Biggest Loser, suffered a heart attack two weeks ago, according to TMZ. "

http://www.tvguide.com/news/the-big...r-heart-attack/

Also when I was looking this up I saw so many articles claiming numerous injuries. They're also claiming that they've gained all of the weight back.

The first winner Allie has gained back about 100lbs.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Aug-24-17, 04:10

Yeah, ZDoggMD is back!
His last video unleashed a cr**storm of criticism so he has made another about Cholesterol. This one is way more nerdy cholesterol science, but fun and links to this film.

http://zdoggmd.com/against-medical-advice-019/

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Aug-24-17 at 04:54.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Aug-24-17, 09:10
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Janet, that video is AMAZING! I'm going to repost.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Aug-25-17, 02:38

I still haven't tried "the Feldman Protocol"...mainly because I haven't bothered having my cholesterol checked in the years since having a CAC done. Best way to remove worry over your "numbers".
But if anyone tries it, there is a separate thread on it in the Cholesterol and Heart Disease Health forum.