Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#136   ^
Old Thu, Aug-12-04, 10:33

Plan: atkins
Stats: 189/165/130 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress:

vess...i know u directed that question to built but i would like to give u some info on what i know. What built is saying has better results. From what i am told...when u lift weights ur body burns and cardio immed. after gives more of a rush.... better results.
Sponsored Links
  #137   ^
Old Thu, Aug-12-04, 10:40

BF:
Progress:

okay......
  #138   ^
Old Thu, Aug-12-04, 11:11
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolic Surge
Stats: 170/139/? Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by koko213g
Built...u sure are in inspiration.... u have come a long way. what kinda diet were u on?

Atkins for the first, oh, about a year, then variations on the "carb-cycling" theme, starting with CKD (didn't work very well for me) then TKD (worked REALLY well for me), now carb cycling (first page of my gym log).

And to pinch-hit for Dan until he gets back to you on the arms thing - your arms will APPEAR to bulk in the first 3-6 months of lifting, then it pretty much STOPS. I've been trying for a YEAR to put on half an inch on my biceps. Biceps/triceps are small muscles relative to your body, and growing from NOTHING to SOMETHING really shows at first, then it settles right down.

I train for size. I curl 27.5 pounds an arm for alternating dumbbell curls. Biceps are STILL well under 13 inches each, much to my chagrin.

Okay? So don't worry about bulking.

There's no such thing as toning. There's only building.

- Built
  #139   ^
Old Fri, Aug-13-04, 11:57

BF:
Progress:

Built.... what is this TKD ur talking about? i am interested. I am still on Atkins and on a stand still... I wanna boost my metabolism again....

and for the arm bulking, i can keep lifting my normal weight and not be worried? i am only curling 20 lbs now.
  #140   ^
Old Fri, Aug-13-04, 12:54
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolic Surge
Stats: 170/139/? Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Yeh, your arms will just stay firm and get a better shape over time.

Targeted Ketogenic Diet = TKD. Google it, or look in the CKD forum for details on it.

Good luck!
  #141   ^
Old Wed, Oct-20-04, 21:04

Plan: Atkins/lowering cals
Stats: 187/143.6/135 Female 64
BF:35.2/ 20%/20%
Progress: 83%

Ok Dan. I need help. I'm 38 years old. Female. I have a congential hip dysplasia with a left hip replacement 2 years ago. I have been doing LC since 5/04. Started at 187. Got down to 159 and got stuck. I decided to increase the exercise. I started a women on weights class 2 days/week. Then I went to water aerobics. The whole class is great. They also meet 2x/week for "Power Hour". I can do some power walking and most of the other exercises with little modification. When I started all this I gained weight back up to 163 (one pound/week). I'm finally back down to 161. I'm stuck. I haven't lost in about 6 weeks. I'm measuring. Arms are getting bigger. My atrophied left leg has gained 3/4 of an inch. Abd is down. I read your post of 1.5 lbs of muscle gained etc. What gives. I'm still LCing. No real change in diet. I'm doing plenty of H2O. I'm ready to give up. Anybody? Dan? got any suggestions. I'm really new to this whole exercise thing and not sure what to expect.

Barb
  #142   ^
Old Thu, Oct-28-04, 02:30

Stats: 316/?/240 Male 5feet11inches
BF:
Progress:

I am on the treadmill everyday for 30 minutes 20 minutes is at high incline at a high speed and I burn about 340 360 calories each time...Also Ido weights 3 times a week right after the tredmill..1 set of 15 reps of all the lower and upper body machines ..I am also eating right I hope P.S. I guess I should say that my beginning weight was316 and I am now 303lbs am I doing any thing wrong? ALSO I HAVE A BIG BUILD BECAUSE I USED TO WORK OUT ON THE WEIGHTS YEARS AGO!!!!!!!!! LET ME KNOW PLEASE!!!
  #143   ^
Old Thu, Oct-28-04, 02:35

Stats: 316/?/240 Male 5feet11inches
BF:
Progress:

I am on the treadmill everyday for 30 minutes 20 minutes is at high incline at a high speed and I burn about 340 360 calories each time...Also Ido weights 3 times a week right after the tredmill..1 set of 15 reps of all the lower and upper body machines ..I am also eating right I hope P.S. I guess I should say that my beginning weight was316 and I am now 303lbs am I doing any thing wrong? ALSO I HAVE A BIG BUILD BECAUSE I USED TO WORK OUT ON THE WEIGHTS YEARS AGO!!!!!!!!! LET ME KNOW PLEASE!!!
  #144   ^
Old Sun, Apr-29-07, 07:48

Plan: not sure
Stats: 114/114/109 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress:

Hello. I have a question for Trainerdan... I'm not sure if I'm posting this correctly... (First-timer!) I have been doing aerobics (step mostly) for 18 years. I managed to blow out my knees a little... However, this was the way I've always stayed in "model's body" condition. I do weights also. However, tomorrow I turn 38!... And it seems like results are getting harder to acheive. My friends that are trainers keep telling me to take protein supp... Every time I have, my mid section inflates like a hot air balloon and I'm miserably uncomfortable. I have all but refused to drink protein shakes or bars! I do eat lean meat, fish, etc. But anything that says "whey protein", I sprint in the opposite direction! Other women have said they have gotten a similar feeling, but not to the extreme that I do. Some say they take soy protein instead. However, they both do the same thing to me. Any comments?....
Thanks
  #145   ^
Old Sun, Apr-29-07, 11:12

Plan: close to zero carbs
Stats: 225/206/210 Male 73
BF:
Progress:

May I?

What are you mixing your shakes in? Water, Milk?

Is it Whey,egg or Casein?

Is it one of those garbage ready to drink shakes? Huge problem if so..

Are you taking any fat along with your shake?

STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM SOY!!!!!!!!!

Some people lack adequate digestve enzymes to help with the digestion of protein, specifically protease.

Try and find a good digestive enzme with ample amounts of protease and Aspergillus(?) and take that with your shake.

I know Solaray used to have one for low carbers.

You may have to start low and bulid up..start with about 14 grams(tbls) and work up to 25 grams and see how you are doing

Good luck
  #146   ^
Old Mon, Apr-30-07, 06:44

Plan: not sure
Stats: 114/114/109 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress:

Thanks for the advice... It is Whey protein. I started with skim milk, then went to water... Then tried cutting down to one scoop instead of the reccommended 2 scoops... When I did take the shake, I only took the shake with no other food. I was taking digestive enzymes and found no releif with that either... Curious, what's the problem with soy???
  #147   ^
Old Mon, Apr-30-07, 15:37

Plan: close to zero carbs
Stats: 225/206/210 Male 73
BF:
Progress:

You may have an intolerance to dairy as a whole..

Soy is one of the worst food you can eat. It is a cheap and lousy protein source. It is an incomplete protein source lacking growth promoting and sulfur producing amino acids.

it is a goitergen which can inhibit thyroid function.

It is full of estrogen.

It has phytic acid which can bind to minerals, leading to mineral deficiencies.

Plus , it is one of the most allergenic foods sources.

Just nasty ol' stuff IMO