Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jun-03-01, 00:09
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 218/198.75/130
BF:
Progress: 22%
Cool Howdy, Y'all

Hiya, Fellow Lo-Carbers,
Actually, I'm starting induction (again) tomorrow. I'm having my last Ben and Jerry's ice cream as I write. (Don't be envious. It's not that good. Too cold, too sweet. Doesn't taste nearly as good as being thin!)
This is not my first time at low-carbing! I was diagnosed as being hypoglycemic in 1973, and my Dr. prescribed a low-carb, high protein diet for me then. I got down to my goal and then hovered a little higher than my goal for a few years.
Then in about 1986 I heard that everyone should be doing low-fat, high-carb! I loved that idea! Just think of that! I could eat all the sandwiches and spaghetti I wanted and lose tons of weight! So I tried that plan (plus walking for an hour a day for several years) and gained 100 pounds! Whew, what a mistake!
Anyway, a couple years ago a friend of mine re-introduced me to low-carb (ala Dr. Atkins book) and I tried it again.
BAM! I lost about 40 pounds in about 3 months! WOW! Amazing! But the best thing was that I went from a size 24 to a size 16 in jeans in about two months! Unbelievable! I was seriously in love with Dr. Atkins.
Well, for the past year or so my life has become too busy, and pizza and McDonalds have become too convenient. I've fallen off the low-carb wagon enough that I'm back in size 20 jeans, and the scale is back up to 218... not as high as when I first started a couple years ago... but high enough that I know I need to start again!
Life has slowed down a little for me now (I'm a teacher-- summer vacation started the day before yesterday!-- But I'm also a wedding videographer-- so my busy season is just starting!) So I'm thinking this is the best time to start all that nasty induction stuff again.
(I'm not really looking forward to those "sugar withdrawal blues" that I know will be coming in the next few days.)
However, I *am* looking forward to being able to climb around after all those size 2 brides without huffing and puffing, and having to stop and lean on my tripod for support while I catch my breath!
I'm also looking forward to videotaping in a sweltering hot reception hall, *without* wearing an even *more* sweltering hot jacket, vest, or sweater just because I'm trying to hide my hips and stomach! I'm also looking forward to the glowing complexion I have when I'm low-carbing, the improved medical stats, and most of all-- the improved self-confidence, self-esteem, and positive outlook on the world that low-carbing seems to give me.
Hmmmm... I'm ready to start now. I'm giving the rest of my Ben and Jerry's to the neighbor's cat.
I'm looking forward to meeting all you low-carbers out there!
Mae West
"I never diet. The only carrot that interests me is the number of carats in a diamond." The other Mae West
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jun-03-01, 05:12

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Default Welcome

Hi Mae ...

Welcome to the board. Everyone here seems to be really helpful and well informed. It is a great, supportive group here.

Keep us posted of your progress and if you hit any snags along the way, I am sure that someone here can help.

#3   ^
Old Sun, Jun-03-01, 07:07
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Smile hi Mae, welcome aboard

I love the other Mae West too. "Whenever faced with two evils, I like to pick the one I've never tried before." ...

Quite a few of us here who've done the "up and down the scale over the decades thing". Everything from the original Atkins to Scarsdale, through the lowFAT jungle, veganism ... full-circle back to Atkins (or Protein Power, Carb Addicts ... )

All the best to you, I'm sure Induction won't be too terrible. Looking forward to reading more posts from you.

Doreen
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jun-03-01, 08:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/124/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 90%
Default Hello!!!

Hi, Mae, welcome to the board!

This is my second go-round on Atkins too; I did it first a couple of years ago, lost 20 pounds, and quit because I listened to people telling me how unhealthy it was....sigh....like being overweight and pre-diabetic isn't unhealthy?

Some of us find the weight comes off slower the second (or third, or fourth....) time around. This may not happen to you - hopefully it won't - but don't be discouraged if progress isn't as rapid as you expect - there WILL be progress! I, personally, am finding it slower going than I did previously, but the board is here for support, and in many ways I'm finding it easier to stick to the low carb way of eating this time round.

Come up and see us sometime!
Rachel
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jun-03-01, 09:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/162/135
BF:
Progress: 0%

welcome aboard mae!! your story sounds all too familiar! didn't we swallow that lowfat myth, hook, line and sinker! remember susan powter? eat the whole pan of brownies!! there's no fat in them! oh yeah!! i've been there.

this is a fantastic site for support, info and just plain fun! i'm looking forward to hearing more from you !
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jun-03-01, 11:26

Plan: My Own Plan
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 6 ft 2 in
BF:

Hey Mae!!!
Glad you joined us.... Everyone here is so very supportive!

Wishing you all the best.................