Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-07-01, 11:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 274/260/160
BF:
Progress:
Default Get discouraged very easily

Hi,

Brief intro -- then --- H E L P!!!!

I am new to this forum and already love it! I am female 31 with three children under 4. I have attempted Atkins in the past for 1.5 months....then a couple weeks....then a couple days...etc...you get the picture.
Now for the help I am looking for:

I originally lost 15 pounds when I first started. I restarted on June 1. So far I am only back to the same weight as the original loss (-15 pounds). I don't know whether the Depo Shots stall me or what I am doing wrong.
I eat the right foods and watch my carbs very carefully. If I am ever to go over, it is on foods like lettuce or cabbage which also has fiber. (I might have two cups of lettuce instead of one). I even avoid putting any other veggies in my salad. I am happy with lettuce and some ranch dressing.

I eat 3 eggs for breakfast, I usually have tuna salad with a bit of mayo and lettuce for lunch. Snacks are generally pieces of chicken from the night before or sunflower seeds. Dinner is either a steak with just steak spice rubbed on it and BBQ'd or baked chicken..and a lettuce salad..sometimes coleslaw (homemade). I take a lot of supplements and drink 100 OZ or more of water daily.
On top of that I go to the gym 4-5 times a week and walk at *least* one mile and also weight train..(just started that)

I have been stuck at 260 pounds and the weight won't go any further!! In fact today I weighed myself and I was 2 pounds heavier!

All this discourages me and I sometimes feel maybe it is not even worth it! I need the advice and support form newsgroups and forums because no one I talk to in my family knows this diet as intensely as I do, and they don't understand. My Mom will offer me a piece of fruit or my husband will offer me a French Vanilla Capaccino (from Tim Hortons...Oh God I miss those!!)
But anyways...I guess this would just be a cry for help??? or whatever advice I can get, I'll take!

I am really tired of my weight. It is a challenge going to the gym with all the skinny's there looking at you funny, but I DON'T CARE what anyone thinks.

Thanks in advance for your help! :-))

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-07-01, 11:27

Plan: ADKINS
Stats: 306/289/165
BF:
Progress:

DID YOU DO YOUR 14 DAYS OF INDUCTION? NO MORE THEN 15-20 CARBS PER DAY. YOU SHOULD ADD 5 CARBS PER WEEK TO FIND YOUR CLL, WHEN YOU STOP LOOSING WEIGHT OR GO OUT OF KETOSIS. MOST OF YOUR CARBS SHOULD BE FROM VEGGIES. GOOD LUCK AND ENJOY!!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-07-01, 12:55
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Hi LC,

Have you taken measurements? Sometimes, especially with exercise, you lose inches more than weight, because of fat loss and muscle gain. You might weight the same, but be much leaner.

Good for you not to think about how others look at you in the gym, it's like "Dance like no one is watching" Best approach.

Be patient, and you will see the results. Some of stall for a while, but still follow this as a lifestyle, and results keep improving as long as you're committed.

Welcome aboard and keep us posted!

Wa'il
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-07-01, 23:21

Stats: 162/124/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 90%
Default Too soon to worry

Hi, LC!

I think it's too soon to worry about not losing weight. Three things:

First, you've only been on Induction about a week, right? While some people seem to lose tons the first two weeks, not everyone does; I lost two whole pounds!

Second, weight fluctuates due to water retention or loss. That's especially true of women. My weight can vary by a couple of pounds from day to day, especially around that TOM.

Third, Wa'il is 100% right. If you're working out, you're building muscle, which is denser than fat. So you may stay the same or even gain on the scales, but you'll be smaller. Take measurements instead of weighing, or use a 'reference' piece of clothing - for example, a pair of jeans that's too small; over weeks, you'll see them fitting better and better, even if the scales don't budge. This is happening to me, so I can vouch for it!

Best of luck,
Rachel
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jun-08-01, 08:13

Stats: 162/162/135
BF:
Progress: 0%

hi lowcarber! i also had 3 kids in 3 years! wow those were busy days, but i loved it. i put on weight w/my third too! it was so easy to get back to pre pregnancy weight w/the first 2, just 12months apart! my last one did me in! lol!! you've received great advice already. please don't be discouraged! why don't you just stay away from the scales for awile. i know how obsessive we can be about our scales. hide it away in a closet so you don't see it first thing every morning. i have a skinny pair of pants that i try on every once in a while. when i first started i couldn't get them past 1/2 way up my legs. now i can get them to my hips. i haven't lost great numbers on the scales, but i'm down a size! take a deep breath and enjoy all the wonderful food you can eat now. olive oil, mayo, mmmmm!!