Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Bread & Baked Goods
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-15-13, 19:51

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%
Default GFCF Multi Bread (almond, sunflower, lupin, coconut, flax) very low carb

I find that combining several different flours together neutralizes their individual flavors and makes a better-tasting loaf. This bread has a good neutral, non-eggy, flavor. Most people would probably want a touch of sweetener; I haven't added it.

I've included the weights of each "flour" so that you can just weigh out the amount of flaxseed, sunflower seed, etc., and then grind it. Don't attempt to make your own lupin flour from dried lupin beans, though. The beans require a lot of soaking (2 weeks!) before they are edible. You can buy small bags of lupin flour at netrition. It's loaded with fiber and protein and has very low net carbs.

I suggest that you should not increase the proportion of lupin flour because it has a pronounced bean-y flavor. I've tried recipes that use more than 20% lupin and didn't like them.

I use a baby loaf pan to make this. I think it's a good idea to make smaller quantities of baked goods. I would suggest either:

Fat Daddy 6.5 x 3.75

Parrish Magic Line 7.5 x 3.5

Those two pans make big enough slices for sandwiches. Alternately, you might be able to divide it into about 8 blobs on a silpat or a greased baking sheet to make rolls, but I haven't tried that. Rolls would take less cooking time.

Multi Bread (almond, sunflower, lupin, coconut, flax)

1/2 cup warm water
1 rounded teaspoon active dry yeast
1/2 teaspoon refined starch (such as tapioca flour, cornstarch, arrowroot)

1/2 cup almond flour (58 gm by weight)
1/2 cup ground raw sunflower seed kernels (44 gm)
1/3 cup coconut flour (40 gm)
1/3 cup lupin flour (33 gm) (do not grind the dried beans to make flour)
1/4 cup golden flax meal (20 gm) (golden flax tastes much better than brown flax)
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon xanthan gum or Thicken Thin not/Starch (optional)
(you might want sweetener; I don't add it)

4 eggs at room temperature, beaten
5 Tablespoons butter, melted (or substitute 1/4 cup fat or oil + 1 tablespoon water), plus additional for greasing the pan

Instructions:

Grease a 6.5 x 3.75 baby loaf pan (see links above). Optionally, you could also line it with parchment if you are a perfectionist.

Combine the warm water, yeast and starch. Stir to dissolve. Set aside for 10 minutes.

Combine dry ingredients in a medium bowl and stir together.

Whisk butter or oil into eggs in a large bowl. Add dry ingredients and the yeast water. Whisk until completely combined. Scrape into buttered loaf pan. Cover.

Let the batter sit for 15-20 minutes. It won't rise a lot but the lupin flour seems to need this. Preheat the oven to 350' F.

Uncover and bake for 30-35 minutes, until a cake tester comes out clean. Let cool a few minutes in the pan and then gently turn out onto a rack. Let cool. Slice and serve.

Refrigerate leftovers.

Nutrition counts for the entire loaf:

calories: 1808
carb, total: 58 gm
fiber: 47 gm (xanthan gum not included)
net carb: 11 gm
protein: 77 gm
fat: 144 gm (butter used to grease the pan not included)

If you want more flavor you could add 2-3 teaspoons of minced fresh rosemary. Cinnamon and sweetener would make another nice variation.

For bread that tastes like pumpernickel rye add:

1-2 Tablespoons caraway seed
1/2 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon espresso powder
1 teaspoon dried onion flakes
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-13, 21:07
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%

Hmmmm. How did I miss this, Allison? I'd like to try it some time. Just printed it out. Thanks!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-13, 22:38

BF:

When I baked it another time, Peggy, it needed longer in the oven.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-20-13, 07:51
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%

OK. Thanks for posting that back. I'll note my copy right now. I find most of my loaf breads, regardless of flours used, are taking a full 40-50 minutes to get done in the center.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-14, 18:59

BF:

This afternoon I made a batch of this, diving the batter into 8 portions on a silpat. (Parchment paper would work too.) I baked the rolls for about 27 minutes. It worked very well and I plan to use them as sandwich rolls.

Oh, also -- my supermarket didn't have raw sunflower seeds, so I used toasted. I ground them along with the lupin flour to prevent making sunflower butter.