Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-08-09, 06:18

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 167/156/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default Confused about Yogurt on Phase I

Hi All...hoping to get a little clarification here. I will preface this by saying I did check the weigh in thread for the acceptable foods list and I have also looked around online.

Everything I have found online lists "Plain or Nonfat Yogurt....." for an acceptable dairy product in Phase I, however, those same sites list the same wording for yogurt on the "NOT acceptable for Phase I and to be avoided" list.

I made a killer little veggie dip yesterday...Nonfat Plain Yogurt mixed with Fat Free Mayo and some Tastefully Simple Spinach & Herb Dip mix. It's absolutely perfect for dipping my veggie snacks in and I thought the yogurt was a wonderful alternative to fatty sour cream. But - am I really allowed to have it on Phase I?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-08-09, 06:23
For Real This Time

Plan: SB (Sorta Beachy)
Stats: 272/260/165 Female 68 inches (5'8")
BF:
Progress: 11%

As far as I know, it's allowed. Your dip sounds great!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-08-09, 06:36
Think Pink

Plan: ♥Calorie Counting
Stats: 265/195/175 Female 5' 10"
BF: a few
Progress: 78%

Kelly, I had non-fat Greek yogurt every single day on Phase One and lost fine! In fact, I mix it with Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa Powder and Splenda and it's THE best!!!!!!!!!!! Your dip sounds great - I like those Tastefully Simple dip mixes.....
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-08-09, 07:13

BF:

I believe I saw a post from you in here somewhere...about the unsweetened cocoa and splenda with it - something about it tasting like cake batter! Yum! So, with that comment in mind, I did pick up cocoa and splenda yesterday also. The supermarket I went to, though (wasn't my regular one), didn't have the greek yogurt, which I prefer. I'm going to run to the whole foods store today to pick some up.

And yes, the dip is delish. I wasn't so sure as I was making it...I hate yogurt and it smelled kind of funny. But, once mixed with the tastefully simple stuff, which I LOVE, and after it set in the fridge for about an hour, it was perfect!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmmd
Kelly, I had non-fat Greek yogurt every single day on Phase One and lost fine! In fact, I mix it with Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa Powder and Splenda and it's THE best!!!!!!!!!!! Your dip sounds great - I like those Tastefully Simple dip mixes.....
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-08-09, 09:08
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

FYI- the older plan did not include dairy in phase I so you may still see that conflicting info out there...just know that we do have the update info here...and yes....we do get 2 cups of dairy daily....please count your cheese in with that total and keep hard cheese to a max of 2-3 ozs a day.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jun-08-09, 09:18

BF:

Judy - for a snack today, I am having Cabot 75% Fat Free Cheddar Cheese - 4 slices, around 1/8" thick each. I don't have a food scale, however, I looked at my 5oz package of shredded parm in the fridge and figured these 4 little pcs of cheese could not have totaled even 2oz, in comparison. That should be ok, right? In fact, can someone take a look at my meal plan for today and let me know how it looks? FYI - I would have had 2 eggs for Bfast, but, I overslept and did not have time to make them. I will be HB'ing some tonight, in case this should happen again.

Breakfast:

2 Slices (1/8" Thick) Cabot 75% Fat Free Sharp Cheddar, 4 Tbsp Sliced Almonds, 6oz. Can V8

AM Snack:

Cut Veggies - Broc, Cucumbers, Tomatoes, celery (About 4 pcs ea.) w/ 1/4 Cup (maybe less) dip: Plain non fat yogurt, non fat mayo and tastefully simple herb & Spinach seasoning.

Lunch:

Tossed Salad with romaine, tomato, cucumber, chicken and South Beach Balsamic Vinaigrette

Afternoon Snack:

2 Slices (1/8" Thick) Cabot 75% Fat Free Sharp Cheddar, 4 Tbsp Sliced Almonds

Dinner:

Roasted Cornish Hen with Grilled Zucchini

Dessert:

SF Fudgsicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
FYI- the older plan did not include dairy in phase I so you may still see that conflicting info out there...just know that we do have the update info here...and yes....we do get 2 cups of dairy daily....please count your cheese in with that total and keep hard cheese to a max of 2-3 ozs a day.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jun-08-09, 10:12
Attitude is a Choice

Kellyanne...you will need to get your eggs and not use cheese as your protein...and I know that you know this. try to start to hard see cheese as a side...not as a main part of your meals.

I like cottage cheese, 1/2 cup, with tomato and onion.
There are many ways to have breakfast and you are just starting out...so in time you will see all the options as they are unlimited. Breakfast does not have to be eggs.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jun-08-09, 13:53
Think Pink

Hey Kelly - I just realized you're in the Lehigh Valley --- I'm right over the border in Jersey!! Wow - we're so close!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jun-08-09, 13:59

BF:

Warren County, I presume? I lived in Washington (and worked at the Washington Diner), for a few years when I first moved out this way. Been in PA a while...it's cheaper here.

We should have a South Beach get together! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmmd
Hey Kelly - I just realized you're in the Lehigh Valley --- I'm right over the border in Jersey!! Wow - we're so close!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jun-08-09, 14:48
Think Pink

Yes!!! In Warren County!! Yeah we should!!!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jun-09-09, 09:32

BF:

gmmd - I tried making your "cake batter" yogurt last night and it was PUTRID. It tasted like rotten yogurt with chemicals in it. I licked the spoon once and threw the rest out. What did I do wrong? FYI - I'm using Fat Free Plain Yogurt (Haven't been able to find the Greek variety), Hersheys Unsweetened Cocoa and Splenda. Grrrr.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jun-09-09, 16:39
Think Pink

Kelly - LOL....OMG how awful!!! I really think you MUST MUST use the Greek yogurt....Chobani, Fage are the two brands I've used! I know my friend Betsy makes a strained yogurt from regular plain yogurt -

Betsy --- help out a sistah will ya??? LOL
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jun-10-09, 04:30

Plan: General LC
Stats: 00/000/000 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Anything for you, Gayle!!!!

I use the Wegman's brand yogurt (I suppose any store brand would work, though), low fat or full fat, either works ($1.99 for the huge container). Take coffee filters or cheesecloth and line a strainer set over a bowl. Pour the yogurt into the filter-lined strainer. Cover and set in the refrigerator overnight. In the morning, you will have thick and rich yogurt just like Fage! It's amazing how thick this gets, and it's SO good!!! A lot cheaper than Fage, too (although that is still the best).

Hope this helps!!
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jun-15-09, 20:27

Plan: SB
Stats: 180/160/150 Female 65
BF:
Progress:

I just wanted to clarify something re: dairy. Per the SB plan, cheese is counted as protein - not dairy. That is not to say that you shouldn't limit cheese - just be reasonable as it is quite calorie dense. From an old SB daily dish:

"The Scoop on Dairy

I just started the South Beach Diet® and I want to know more about the dairy recommendations. Can you explain them?
—Aimee B., Austin, TX

The South Beach Diet® guidelines recommend choosing low-fat and fat-free dairy products, which are low in artery-clogging saturated fats. You may consume up to two servings of fat-free or low fat (1 percent) milk — or fat-free or low-fat plain yogurt in Phase 1. Beginning in Phase 2, feel free to have an additional serving of these dairy products, or choose an artificially sweetened, no-sugar-added, low-fat or fat-free yogurt. You can also substitute plain or artificially sweetened soy milk for dairy products in all Phases.

As you may know, dairy products are the richest food sources of calcium, a mineral essential for maintaining bone health. Plus, studies have shown adequate dairy intake may be helpful when it comes to weight loss and diabetes management. Cheese is considered a protein on the South Beach Diet®, so don't count it toward your daily dairy limit. To control your saturated fat intake, choose cheeses with 6 grams of fat or less per ounce. There is no serving limitation, but some individuals report stalled weight loss from eating too much cheese — in that case, cut back on your consumption."

The 2 cups dairy includes yogurt and milk.
Hope that helps.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jun-16-09, 07:55
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kildyb
I just wanted to clarify something re: dairy. Per the SB plan, cheese is counted as protein - not dairy. That is not to say that you shouldn't limit cheese - just be reasonable as it is quite calorie dense. From an old SB daily dish:

"The Scoop on Dairy

I just started the South Beach Diet® and I want to know more about the dairy recommendations. Can you explain them?
—Aimee B., Austin, TX

The South Beach Diet® guidelines recommend choosing low-fat and fat-free dairy products, which are low in artery-clogging saturated fats. You may consume up to two servings of fat-free or low fat (1 percent) milk — or fat-free or low-fat plain yogurt in Phase 1. Beginning in Phase 2, feel free to have an additional serving of these dairy products, or choose an artificially sweetened, no-sugar-added, low-fat or fat-free yogurt. You can also substitute plain or artificially sweetened soy milk for dairy products in all Phases.

As you may know, dairy products are the richest food sources of calcium, a mineral essential for maintaining bone health. Plus, studies have shown adequate dairy intake may be helpful when it comes to weight loss and diabetes management. Cheese is considered a protein on the South Beach Diet®, so don't count it toward your daily dairy limit. To control your saturated fat intake, choose cheeses with 6 grams of fat or less per ounce. There is no serving limitation, but some individuals report stalled weight loss from eating too much cheese — in that case, cut back on your consumption."

The 2 cups dairy includes yogurt and milk.
Hope that helps.

Thanks so much for sharing this info with us.
We know that it is considered an unlimited protein source according to the guide lines set up by Dr Agatson and his staff.
BUT...in my experiences with South Beach( 5 yrs worth now) and all the people who follow it, keeping hard cheeses to a maximum of a few ounces per day has been key to success.

Not only is cheese calorie dense, it is also very high in sodium and more than a few ounces will see many retaining fluid. Not only that, many people will easily overeat cheese when they see it as an unlimited protein. Putting a limit on it has been very valuable to many people.

So, I disagree with their guidleine that it is an unlimited protein.

May I ask your experiences with this?