Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-19-09, 12:12
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Again
Stats: 190/190/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Starting SB from Atkins and Lost

Hello Everyone
I am switching from Atkins to SB. I've had success in the past with Atkins, but fell off over a period of time, and find it hard, and boring to start again.
I purchased and read the revised SB book, and I'm ready but I'm confused. In atkins you were to stay under 20 carbs a day. Is there a limit of carbs, and calories per day with SB. I can't seem to find it anywhere in the book. I see the foods to avoid, but what about the approved foods. Is there a limit. Can someone please help me.
Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-19-09, 12:37

Plan: South Beachy/ My Plan
Stats: 206/159.0/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 77%

Hello 150goal!

We actually do not count carbs on SB. No counting! Its great!
You can find all the info you will need on the "SBD Daily Checkin for //**\\March 2009//**\\" thread. Allowed foods, foods to avoid and then there is the meal-plan guide to follow that shows you what your meals should look like.
For example a Phase 1 day could look like this;

B: 2 egg/ egg-white omelette with reduced fat cheese, a can of low sodium V-8 and a cup of coffee.
S: Celery and Light laughing cow cheese wegde.
L: Salad with tons of veggies and tuna/ chicken and balsamic vinaigrette.
S: 30 pistachios.
D: Chicken breast, veggies and 1/2 of black beans with salsa.
S: SF Jell-o cup.

Thats just an example.

Good fats play a big part in SB also, EVOO (1-2tbsp per meal) OR avocado (1/3 per meal)... Nuts.....

Beans are a great source of natural fiber and protein, you are allowed 1/3 - 1/2 a cup a meal.

On the food lists in the march thread most food items have numbers of servings next to them.

"SBD Meal Plan Chart
How To Adapt Your Meal Plan- Phase I

The South Beach Diet? is designed so that you can easily swap meals and ingredients. If you don't like eggs for breakfast, have low-fat cottage cheese or lean meat instead. Not a fish lover? Then choose lean beef or poultry. In Phase 1 of the diet, you can eat as many proteins and vegetables as you like, plus fats like olive oil. Fruit and starches aren't allowed until Phase 2. Here's a look at some general eating guidelines. For specific food choices, check out the Phase 1 Foods to Enjoy & Avoid list.

BREAKFAST
Protein: Quantity is not limited. Start with a 2 oz. portion, eat slowly, go back for seconds if still hungry.
Vegetables: Minimum 1/2 cup or 6-8 oz. tomato or vegetable juice.
Fruit: None
Starch: None
Milk/Dairy: 2 cups allowed daily (including yogurt)
Fat: 1 tsp mayonnaise, trans-free margarine, or oil (optional)

SNACK
Snacks are required. Choose a protein, vegetable, fat-free plain yogurt, or nuts/seeds. A snack that combines protein (1 oz.) and vegetables is encouraged.

LUNCH
Protein: Quantity is not limited. Start with a 3 oz. portion, eat slowly, go back for seconds if still hungry.
Vegetables: Minimum 2 cups.
We encourage you to include a serving of beans (1/3-1/2 cup) as part of your vegetables.
Fat: 1 Tbsp mayonnaise, trans-free margarine or oil, or 2 Tbsp salad dressing

SNACK
Snacks are required. Choose a protein, vegetable, fat-free plain yogurt, or nuts/seeds. A snack that combines protein (1 oz.) and vegetables is encouraged.

DINNER
Protein: Quantity is not limited. Start with a 3 oz. portion, eat slowly, go back for seconds if still hungry.
Vegetables:Minimum 2 cups.
We encourage you to include a serving of beans (1/3-1/2 cup) as part of your vegetables.
Fat: 1 Tbsp mayonnaise, trans-free margarine or oil, or 2 Tbsp salad dressing."

Hope this helps!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-19-09, 15:01
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Again
Stats: 190/190/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Yes, it helps very much
thank you
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-19-09, 16:20
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150goal
Yes, it helps very much
thank you

Welcome!!

Marie gave you great info!
I hope that you'll also find the food lists and use them as you learn how to eat the SBD way. Please join us in our weekly weighin!!

I'm in NYC also....downtown in Gramercy Park area...and you?
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Mar-20-09, 13:45

Plan: general leaning toward Sb
Stats: 336/196/150 Female 5'4"
BF:gettin/down/there
Progress: 75%

I think that you will find that SBD is more flexible than Atkins. We eat good carbs and good fats. but the fats are not unlimited as they are with Atkins. I think it is a good trade off. Wishing you losses.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-08-09, 08:26
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 175/176/140 Female 64
BF:29%
Progress: -3%

I am just coming off of Atkins as well...I remember that a few years ago I tried the SB diet and lost a nice amount of weight and the belly flab...I can't imagine why I went off it! I also never lost on Atkins...maybe a pound or two. I did lose ~ 25 Lbs on WW a few years ago, but can't justify the $$ and all of that counting makes me crazy!

Any hoo...glad I found this site.

Thanks for all of the great advice.