Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-23-11, 12:39
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default Evidence That a More Traditional Diet Improves Gum Health

http://naturallyengineered.com/blog...ves-gum-health/

Quote:
The subjects’ plaque levels did increase, from 0.68 to 1.47 on the Silness-Löe Plaque Index. But actually signs of harm mostly went in the other direction. Bleeding on probing decreased from an average of 34.8% to 12.6%. Probing pocket depth decreased a mean of 0.2 mm (p < 0.001). And, despite the small number of subjects, all these changes were statistically significant (p < 0.001).
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-23-11, 13:42

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 180/170/145 Female 70
BF:
Progress: 29%

Interesting. Actually, I have heard that plaque is not actually as bad as it is made out to be. In fact they have found skulls from a thousand years ago where the teeth were literally coated in calcified plaque, yet they had absolutely no tooth decay.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Nov-24-11, 05:41
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

I have mentioned this for years -- my diet saved me thousands upon thousands of dollars of dental surgery.
i was on the verge of losing all my teeth when i finally went grain free.
my pockets were 8's and 9's back in 2006.

today, i have no pockets, no diseased gums, my teeth and gums are healthier than a 20 yr old.
i also do not brush my teeth with toothpastes..
i use baking soda every morning and evening.
i gargle with hydrogen peroxide.

it's amazing.. my dentist was shocked at the reversal of health, but didn't care how i did it.. he didn't care to know how my gums became healthy without surgery.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Nov-25-11, 14:13

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Improving gum health is also covered in this video, What Foods Make My Brain Work Best. He used flax oil (blechhh). I suspect it's the omega 3 in the flax oil, which makes me think that fish oil would help too.

Every time I go a dentist they comment on how healthy my gums are. They seem surprised, like it's rare or they wouldn't expect that in a fat person like me. I think I had a lot of improvement from going gluten and (mostly) dairy free. Before that the dentists I saw were suggesting that I might be headed for gum surgery. The gluten intolerance books all list receding gums as a symptom of gluten intolerance.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Nov-25-11, 16:02

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

This is all very interesting! I hope that my teeth are improving. I've been back on for close to a year. Thanks for sharing everyone!

It's pretty sad that your dentist didn't care to know how you reversed your problems, PilotGal!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Nov-25-11, 16:51
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

Quote:
Originally Posted by freckles
It's pretty sad that your dentist didn't care to know how you reversed your problems, PilotGal!

my orthopedic surgeon wasn't interested in how the cartilage grew back in my hip socket, either...

most doctors/surgeons aren't interested in the nutrition aspect of our health. they are merely just trying to save our lives the best way they know how. surgery.
nothing else seems to matter, unfortunately.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Nov-26-11, 15:06

Plan: atkins inductin diet wine
Stats: 250/220/190 Female 5.4
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotGal
my orthopedic surgeon wasn't interested in how the cartilage grew back in my hip socket, either...

most doctors/surgeons aren't interested in the nutrition aspect of our health. they are merely just trying to save our lives the best way they know how. surgery.
nothing else seems to matter, unfortunately.

I think its the $$$$ signs they see, that motivate them.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Nov-26-11, 15:28

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

I wonder why gums improve on paleo. I was eating very low carb for years before giving up gluten and dairy. I stopped developing lots of tartar and plaque (nothing for the bacteria to feed on, I suspect) but my gums were the same as ever.

The improvement in my gums specifically came after going gluten and dairy free, so I don't think it's about bacteria. Over the years, several other people have reported improvement in their gums in paleo subforum but I don't remember reading about that improvement in the other parts of the forum. I wonder why grains and/or dairy and/or legumes would cause gums to recede.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Nov-26-11, 17:41

Plan: Fatty meat
Stats: 135/135/135 Male 166
BF:11%
Progress:

I read on Dr. Myhill's site that some mouth problems are caused by carbs fermenting in the upper gut.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Nov-27-11, 13:45

Plan: Mine, all mine
Stats: 160/120/120 Female 5'6"
BF:still got some
Progress: 100%

My SIL, from Mexico, hadn't been to a dentist in ??? maybe never. When he finally went after living in this country for 15 yrs, they had to clean the plaque off in 4 stages. BUT, there were no cavities...NONE.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Dec-08-11, 16:41

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 155/155/135 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 0%

At 65 I have no pockets in my gums either - none - the dentist cannot believe it. I also do not get plaque anymore either & only get my teeth cleaned about every 2 years now & yes, again they cannot believe the healthy condition that my teeth are in. I also do not use toothpaste. I use baking soda or just plain water. I also use baking soda to scrub my face with a scrubbie. I get compliments on my complexion...