Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Nov-01-11, 18:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 199/000/000 Female 5"3'
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Oblong and Gon....Oblong, when you eat carbs you produce insulin. Insulin turns carbs into energy and stores what you don't need as fat. Too many carbs equals weight gain. Watch this http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_...h?v=bTUspjZG-wc. Long but oh so informative.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Nov-01-11, 18:08

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 164/162.6/151 Female 5'3"
BF:Sure is
Progress: 11%

link doesn't work...
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Nov-02-11, 11:04

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

I think you have been given a lot of great advice, but I wanted to add in my 2 cents.

I think the turning point for me, was figuring out that i need to eat more like the cave men most likely ate- by that i mean, eating a bowl of guacamole is not a good idea. Is avocado allowed on a paleo diet? sure it is! BUT it should not be the star of the meal.

make meat/eggs/fish the central component, and the other allowed foods are the condiments/sides.

I think i can relate to you- i am pescatarian (I eat fish but no meat). so i often "low carbed" but ate lots of cheese and nuts and cream, etc.....and even though my carbs were low, it was hard for me to lose weight.

it became easy when i began making sure my main meal every day is fish/seafood/ or eggs.

hope that helps
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Nov-02-11, 11:48
Paleo and proud!

Plan: Paleo / Primal
Stats: 210/175.6/168 Female 70 inches
BF:40%/34.4%/30%
Progress: 82%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aradasky
Hi Oblong and Gon....Oblong, when you eat carbs you produce insulin. Insulin turns carbs into energy and stores what you don't need as fat. Too many carbs equals weight gain. Watch this http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_...h?v=bTUspjZG-wc. Long but oh so informative.

Forgive me but I don't understand why you are addressing me with this information... I know how the carb - insulin - fat cycle works and have done so for several years!
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Nov-02-11, 13:39

BF:

Here is another link to Gary Taube's lecture, sorry the first one did not work http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6vpFV6Wkl4

Oblong, I was just wondering since you were on premaintainance Atkins and then switched, if you had noticed any gain while you were counting your carbs. As a prediabetic, I know I will find my carb level when my fasting glucose levels go up as that will signal eventual weight gain. I am going to monitor them closely as I add certain carbs back and I don't think most fruits will ever be a daily thing.
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Nov-02-11, 14:05
Paleo and proud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aradasky
Here is another link to Gary Taube's lecture, sorry the first one did not work http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6vpFV6Wkl4

Oblong, I was just wondering since you were on premaintainance Atkins and then switched, if you had noticed any gain while you were counting your carbs. As a prediabetic, I know I will find my carb level when my fasting glucose levels go up as that will signal eventual weight gain. I am going to monitor them closely as I add certain carbs back and I don't think most fruits will ever be a daily thing.

I think you have mistaken me for the OP. I've never done Atkins before. I've always been essentially Paleo or Primal.

Strangely enough, a few months ago I increased the carbohydrates in my diet. I started eating more berries, nuts, seeds, starches and I stopped measuring. I started losing weight again after it had slowed down to almost a stop.
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Nov-02-11, 15:21

Plan: My own
Stats: 122/110.7/100 Female 5'2 ft
BF:
Progress: 51%

OH WOW! Thank you all for the wonderful advise I appreicate it so much.
I will get back to you all later today, I have been very busy, I am applying for performing arts and it is very VERY stressful, its that whole 'If I don't get in its the end of the world' kind of thing.
...Not to mention every night is a theatre rehearsal night.
>_< GAH!
...Oops! Ranting

Thanks again!
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Nov-03-11, 09:08

BF:

Oblong, LOL you are RIGHT!! It's SlimJen I should have addressed my remarks too!! Anyway, hi from the Christmas Challenge.
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Nov-05-11, 16:56
Paleo and proud!

Haha! I got all confused there

HI!