Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-14-12, 07:52

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 264/214/180 Female 64.8
BF:
Progress: 60%
Default Which book should I buy for Paleo weightloss recipes?

I'm getting ready to purchase a recipe book and I'd love opinions.

If you could only purchase one Paleo recipe book, which one would it be?

I am looking for one that focuses on recipes for weight loss purposes, not maintenance, if that narrows things down.

So, which one would you choose and why?

Thanks so much in advance for your input!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-17-12, 10:43
Registered Member

Plan: LC whole foods
Stats: 227/218/120 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 8%

The only paleo recipe book I've gotten so far is Mark Sisson's Primal Blueprint Cookbook. A few recipes I already knew and some others are too complex for my liking, but it's got some good ones too. What I end up doing is making substitutions to keep it affordable and have less prep time.

I don't know specifically of a paleo cookbook focusing on weight loss recipes. If there is one, I'm interested. If there turns out not to be one, I'm sure we could tweak the recipes to make them lower calorie, stuff like substituting half & half for heavy cream and ham for bacon.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-28-12, 11:19

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

Dana Carpender has a new Paleo cookbook out soon: 500 Paleo Recipes: Hundreds of Delicious Recipes for Weight Loss and Super Health [Paperback] It will be $10.31 at Amazon which sounds like a good price to me.

If you are unfamiliar with her, check her blog Hold The Toast where she often posts recipes.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Sep-29-12, 18:31

Stats: 264/214/180 Female 64.8
BF:
Progress: 60%

Thanks for the input!

Well, I decided my first book would be Everyday Paleo, so I bought it. Just got it yesterday and I'm pretty happy with it so far. I haven't tried any of the recipes, but I flipped through and it looks really good.

Today I ordered Primal Blueprint, so that should arrive within the week. The 500 Paleo Recipes book looks pretty good & the price is really wonderful, but it's not available until Dec. 1st. I'm holding off on that one for right now, but it's on my wishlist for future purchasing.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-04-12, 17:52

Plan: LC gut healing
Stats: 302/285/165 Female 5'3"
BF:Irrelevant
Progress: 12%

Consider Well Fed by Melissa Joulwan. She provides a host of recipes that are Whole30 compliant, but better yet, she gives you suggestions to change the recipe to make it your own and provide variety.

So far, it's my favorite Paleo cookbook, at least, until Dana Carpender's book comes out.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Oct-05-12, 04:07

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

I love EveryDay Paleo's Sun Dried Tomato Chicken, because it is so easy and tasty. Just had some leftover as part of my morning omelette. As far as weight loss, I have combined a ketogenic carb counting weight loss plan with real foods for 2 years. So most paleo recipes fit well by carb count, but I ignore the starchy veg recipes and the paleofied desserts and bread using maple syrup, honey etc.
Our library had some of the paleo recipe books, and the authors mentioned all have good recipe websites, so haven't actually bought any cookbooks. A notebook and computer bookmarks work fine for my favorites. And from EP, try Sarah's Meatloaf and Easy Eggplant Bolognese..her recipes are simple and quick, a good choice for one paleo cookbook.
Non, nom Paleo http://nomnompaleo.com/recipeindex is also great and her "book" is an App for $5. MyKitchen-PrimalPalate is a free app for just the recipes. And many healthy low carb websites have recipes which for the most part fit Paleo rules.
Vanessa comes to mind in that category. http://www.healthylivinghowto.com/recipes.html
And our very own Peggy has added Whole30 recipes to her low carb site
http://buttoni.wordpress.com/category/primal-paleo/

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, Oct-05-12 at 05:21.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-05-12, 10:42

Stats: 155/155/135 Female 5' 6"
BF:

IMO if you want to lose weight, eat more fat & more bacon & save the bacon fat to cook with.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Oct-05-12, 10:44

Stats: 155/155/135 Female 5' 6"
BF:

My sister uses a couple of Paleo cookbooks, but I do not. I have too many food allergies. I look at it more simply, you have meat, cook it, & take some veggies out of the fridge...
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Oct-05-12, 17:18

Plan: LC gut healing
Stats: 302/285/165 Female 5'3"
BF:Irrelevant
Progress: 12%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Non, nom Paleo http://nomnompaleo.com/recipeindex is also great and her "book" is an App for $5.

Nom Nom Paleo has posted a bunch of great recipes on her website. I can't buy her app 'cause I don't have a toy to use it on, but I bet it's good.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-12, 16:00

Plan: I eat all of the eggs. :)
Stats: 600/400/160 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 45%

I didn't buy it for the recipes but Neanderthin has some good paleo recipes in it.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Nov-16-12, 10:50

Plan: Atkins/Primal
Stats: 189/161/150 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRuth
Nom Nom Paleo has posted a bunch of great recipes on her website. I can't buy her app 'cause I don't have a toy to use it on, but I bet it's good.

Yup! Great website!
I just found this one and I'm really excited to try some of her dishes...lot of inspiration!

Master recipe index... http://blog.stuffimakemyhusband.com...cipe-index.html
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Nov-17-12, 17:13
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/Protien power
Stats: 261/248/175 Male 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 15%

Practical Paleo. Lots of good info including but not limited to 30 day meal plans and shopping lists etc.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Nov-21-12, 19:12
CherryCola

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectfit
I didn't buy it for the recipes but Neanderthin has some good paleo recipes in it.

I'm glad to see someone giving props to Ray Audette!!

I like "Paleo Comfort Foods" and I have "Make it Paleo." A lot of the recipes repeat so in hindsight, I'd probably should've gotten just "Paleo Comfort Foods." I don't completely avoid dairy (ghee and the occasional kefir) but "Make it Paleo" had more recipes dependent upon cream, cream cheese, etc of the two cookbooks.

Last edited by CherryCola : Wed, Nov-21-12 at 19:17.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jul-24-13, 22:46
Registered Member

Plan: vegetables
Stats: 60/50/50 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 100%

500 Paleo Recipes by Dana Carpender. It is a good comprehensive cookbook. Give it a try.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-14, 08:30

Plan: Low Carb/Paleo/Primal
Stats: 193/184/130 Female 62 inches
BF:Too much/?/25
Progress: 14%

Check out Danielle Walker's Against the Grain cookbooks...she has 2 of them out and they are AMAZING !!!! You can check out her blog as well :-)

Last edited by Kerwee89 : Mon, Oct-06-14 at 09:29.