Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-28-14, 03:06

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%
Default Why Paleo is taking the world by storm with Chris Kresser

Chris Kresser spoke at a recent MindBodyGreen conference;this is his 20 minute introduction to Paleo. He explains well the evolution of the genetic mutation for lactase tolerance, and why he believes after doing a "Paleo diet reset", people should try to re-introduce the "gray area" foods..dairy, legumes, etc.
http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-1457...is-kresser.html

http://chriskresser.com/why-paleo-i...-world-by-storm
His book, Personal Paleo Code, has the best explanation of not only how to do an elimination diet, and importantly, how to slooowwwly reintroduce each food in sequence, to test your tolerance.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-05-14, 21:57

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

Aren't you one of Dr. Westman's acolytes? Even mentioning he who must not be named is blasphemy, and you risk your immortal soul. Be careful, young woman, lest you be excommunicated from the church of low-carb.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Sep-06-14, 04:16

luckily I have been away most of this week and missed any LC vs Paleo discussions. I have tried a veryHF Ketogenic diet maybe three or four times and it doesn't work for me for weight loss except temporarily nor health since I am around a normal BMI. I do better with more fiberous vegetables, hence the addition of Dr Fung's fasting. Dr. Westman is all about finding what works, has no problem with fasting, and if I can eat more veggies, he will be interested in seeing my blood work.
Listened to JM's KetoClarity interview with Dr Davis on drive home yesterday. He specifically mentioned that VLC works well for people to lose weight, improve lipids, FBG, etc. but after 2-3 years, those makers start to creep up. Appears feeding the gut microbiome is also needed and why he's now keen on Resistant starch.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Sep-06-14, 05:05

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

High fat ketogenic hasn't really worked for me for weight-loss, either--except once when I first went on Atkins. After reading the chapter on the fat fast, I didn't do a fat fast, but leaned more heavily on fat. That was when I experienced electrolyte issues, and ended up going off the diet with a big pot of boiled potatoes.

Except for that time, I've never emphasized fat like I am now. But my "get-real," eat-to-appetite without purposely restricting calories weight seems to be about ten pounds lower with this approach than with the more protein-liberal, blueberries and cream approach I've mostly used in the past. Even though I've been a moderate low-carb zealot for something like ten years, it was still surprising to me that when I had smaller amounts of ten or eighteen percent cream with blueberries, that seems to have been more fattening than when I just eat the heavy cream by itself, with a little sweetener.

So still good for maintenance. I suspect it would be good for weight loss--but I'd probably have to put on a bit of weight first, to find out.

Dr Westman is willing to associate with Jimmy Moore--by extension, that means he's willing to associate, if not agree with, just about anybody in the health/nutrition field...

If you want a real low-carb zealot, there's Dr. Rosedale... he suggests using fermentable fibers that we can't digest at all. There are inulin supplements on the market that fit the bill, and if you look at the studies, resistant starch doesn't seem to have anything on inulin... One thing Rosedale suggested when Jimmy interviewed him recently was that people try to find out the effect of resistant starch on their insulin. I've seen type II's or just insulin resistant types report benefits to their blood glucose with resistant starch. According to Rosedale, he's seen type I diabetics who had to cover their resistant starch with extra insulin.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Sep-06-14, 05:37

And an hour later, I've just finished listening to Dr. Rosedale. Scratch that green banana off my shopping list so Where does pure psyllium and chia seeds fit into the fiber and/or resistant starch debate? (dr Fung's fiber suggestions) Inulin supplements? Will look those up later. Dr Davis also mentioned having a QuestBar.