Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, May-31-17, 21:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 311/224.4/185 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 69%

I'm under 50 still so not on the more senior side yet. However I have done low carb several times over my years of yo-yo weight loss and I actually did very careful logs of my weight over each attempt. What I observed in lookinf back was that the first time I did low carb the weight flew off effortlessly. The second time, some short stalls but still pretty effortless. The third time. more stalls, a couple pretty long. Worked but harder. Fourth ... you get the idea. It was getting tougher each time. Either I was adapting somehow or it was just part of being a little older each time or something.

This time I mixed in intermittent fasting and it's every bit as fast as the very first time I ever did low carb and not a single stall yet. Even when I do have too many carbs in a meal I am able to jump back into ketosis by doing a fast afterwards.

You said you can scarcely believe that the scale is true, I think you should. It's not for everyone but for those that take to it well, LC/HF with IF is really effective!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Jun-01-17, 09:55

Stats: 168/128/130 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 105%

I just had another whoosh. Its an amazing tool for weight loss for people like me who don,t normally lose well
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Jun-01-17, 23:48

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/170/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 75%

This is a very interesting thread. For those of you having success with IF, in one of its various formats, do you drink any amount of alcohol?
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Jun-02-17, 00:38
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ruby
This is a very interesting thread. For those of you having success with IF, in one of its various formats, do you drink any amount of alcohol?
Used to drink Ultra beer and still have a little red (dry) wine occasionally -- does not seem to matter as I eat a bit less if drinking. YMMV
There was a little paper-back book out "The Drinking Man's [low-carb] Diet" it was very popular at the time.

https://thetab.com/us/2016/06/16/tr...-horrible-19077

I am beginning to learn, what one dieter experiences can be completely contradicted by another -- yet they can both be right.

Dieting, even for the same individual, can sometimes require drastic changes in regimen to maintain continued success, or to attain the desired goals.

I was below 180 now up to 185 again, but looking in the mirror it's muscle gains. Muscle weighs more than fat!

Last edited by mike_d : Fri, Jun-02-17 at 01:23.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Jun-02-17, 04:58

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:

I have the occasional draft cider, maybe once a month. But that has more to do with the state of my healing from a serious illness than losing weight.
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Jun-02-17, 12:47

BF:

I never did drink alcohol . I did quite my 12 to 14 can a day diet coke habit though.
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Jun-03-17, 11:24

Stats: 200/170/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 75%

Thanks! super interesting...I've got some time today to do a little reviewing of my stats and to reflect on what's happening. I'm watching this new group of people trying IF with interest. Not sure it's right for me but it is an interesting approach and one that seems to have helped a lot of people.
Have a great weekend.
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Jun-03-17, 11:45

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

There are many fasting groups on FB, but also a thread here that started back in 2014 after Dr. Jason Fung appeared on the scene. http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=472377

With his new book out he has been doing podcasts everywhere (just put his name in search in your podcast store). These are in addition to all the information already on DietDoctor etc. The Balanced Bites podcast I listened to this morning would be excellent for anyone starting out as his first answer was about fifteen minutes long ( !) and he gave a brilliant overview of the various timings, and just about everything else to consider. [Maybe he has done too many of these lately it was so smooth, but my first reaction was this episode would be great for someone new]
http://balancedbites.com/podcast-archive/
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Jun-03-17, 12:02

Plan: C:12 P:60 F:satiety
Stats: 220/177.6/142 Female 5'5
BF:0/0/0
Progress: 54%

Thanks Janet, i added that podcast to my playlist.
  #25   ^
Old Sun, Jun-04-17, 07:01
Registered Member

Stats: 187/181/150 Female 5' 9''
BF:
Progress: 16%

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeyna
I never did drink alcohol . I did quite my 12 to 14 can a day diet coke habit though.

I wonder if you quitting your diet coke habit is what is causing your steady loss? That alone could be why you're losing..not so much the IF.

i say this, because Dr Adkins warned to not drink diet coke, that for some mysterious reason it stalls weight loss.

I did IF at the beginning of the year. Some days it was easy..other days I had to make an effort. What it does is really restrict your calories because you're eating fewer hours during the day. In the end, I didn't lose but a few pounds and found it not worth the altered life style.

As for Adkins.. i;m doing the older version now I started on Adkins 20, then comparing it to the old school style.. i realize it has been modified for the diet industry to allow more carbs and frankenfoods sold by the Adkins brand.

Also, if you're doing Adkins right..glycogene stores should be depleted and you should be burning just fat and your insulin steady.

In all.. I'm happy for you.. I see the weight coming off my stomach..and I too feel amazed that I might actually get somewhere with my weightless goals.
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Jun-04-17, 08:51

Stats: 205/198/154 Female 162 cm
BF:
Progress:

Hi! I'm new here and I would want to know what IF is, thank you very much
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Jun-04-17, 10:43

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Welcome
You are already in ONE-derland

IF = Intermittent Fasting. https://www.dietdoctor.com/how-to-lose-weight#14 It is a flexible tool you might consider adding if weight loss is stalled.
If you just started low carb, spend some time learning the diet, get fully fat-adapted, stick to your Atkins plan first.
That Balanced Bites podcast linked in #23 is a good IF intro if needed.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Jun-04-17 at 10:53.
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Jun-05-17, 00:15

Stats: 205/198/154 Female 162 cm
BF:
Progress:

thank you Jay! xxx
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Jun-07-17, 11:39

BF:

Getting off the diet coke helped but doesn,t account for the fast weight loss as a whole because I have gotten off it before with no weight loss. Snacking is my demon. Im fasting takes that out of the picture so the total cals drop for the day. It also takes away the mental mind game I might be playing with myself about it being okay to have just that one bit of on play food. Those just one bights really add up when your doing it all day.
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Jun-07-17, 16:22

Stats: 311/224.4/185 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 69%

Quote:

I mostly gave up alcohol because I have a ruined esophagus from years of reflux and alcohol aggravated it no end (would actually make it bleed). Years ago when I was doing straight up Atkins (after induction) I would have a few lite beers on weekends or (more commonly) a rum and diet coke and I still lost fine with ketosis.

But now that I'm mixing in fasting I will only have a beer or two at parties and holidays, that's it. And then, only with food in my system. I would not have alcohol during a fast. I suspect it would basically be ending your fast and I also think that a stomach that's totally empty would be likely to make the effect of alcohol very strong. I've already lost like 90% of my previously superhuman tolerance since I essentially gave up booze so the last thing I want is to drink a beer on a three day fast and end up stumbling around like it's 2am on St. Patrick's day. not that I know what that's like ....