Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Tue, Dec-02-14, 23:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 00
BF:
Progress:

In summer I like to buy varieties of smaller eggplants at the farmers market and cut them into wedges to roast with butter or along with a small steak, like "eggplant fries."

I like to stay local/organic when possible and options are very limited during winter here. My current favorite is celeriac (celery root), great roasted with meats. I've simmered cubes with a little shallot or onion for a soup, adding sour cream before serving. Saw a recipe on Marks Daily Apple recently for celeriac lasagna, using slices of celery root as "noodles" to bake with meat sauce.

I regularly buy plastic bins of baby kale and add it to everything, right into the pan when I take meats from the oven so it wilts or added to hot sausage or bacon. Bacon fat and any kind of greens is always wonderful, the greens take on a sort of nutty flavor that way instead of seeming bitter.
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Wed, Dec-03-14, 04:05
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

The problem with pumpkin is the huge variation in the fruits themselves. You can see it in both fresh and canned pumpkin. Fresh: I cooked part of my jack-o-lantern this year and as predicted by most cooking lore, it was rather watery and flavourless. Probably very low carb. Comparatively, little pie pumpkins are denser, sweeter, more flavourful, and probably a little higher in everything, including carbs.

Canned pumpkin varies, too. Even the ones that say 100% pure pumpkin can basically contain any orangey pumpkin-looking fall/winter squash as long as it's from the Cucurbita pepo or Cucurbita maxima species. All of the squashes, including pumpkin, are pretty much the same species. Even zucchini is a Cucurbita pepo. Canned pumpkin can contain butternut, Boston marrow or other squash.

This probably isn't surprising to you if you've ever gardened or know someone who has. Most gardeners can tell you about bizarre mystery squashes that grew out of the compost pile and tasted like a cucumber.

If you want consistency in your canned pumpkin carb count, you might want to stick to Libby's brand. They only use one particular variety of pumpkin (Dickinson pumpkin.) That said, I've never compared labels. There are only two brands of canned pumpkin I see here in Canada on a regular basis: Stokely and E.D. Smith. I should look at both of them and see if they just spit out the USDA info, or if they differ because of different squash varieties. It would be nice if they actually had accurate information for each batch, but I highly doubt it. I also wonder if the Canadian labeling would be different from that in the US.

Last edited by Kristine : Wed, Dec-03-14 at 04:23. Reason: i kan spel.
  #78   ^
Old Wed, Dec-03-14, 04:46

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
For us Americans who don't know grams..LOL
7/8 cup = 100 grams
Only if talking about raw pumpkin!
According to the USDA database 1 cup of mashed Pumpkin, cooked, boiled, drained, without salt weighs 254 grams!!
  #79   ^
Old Wed, Dec-03-14, 04:49

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz53
New Atkins lists pumpkin as an induction level veggie
So did Dr Atkins in DANDR - in the "one cup" list.
  #80   ^
Old Wed, Dec-03-14, 08:14

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by pazia
In summer I like to buy varieties of smaller eggplants at the farmers market and cut them into wedges to roast with butter or along with a small steak, like "eggplant fries."

I like to stay local/organic when possible and options are very limited during winter here. My current favorite is celeriac (celery root), great roasted with meats. I've simmered cubes with a little shallot or onion for a soup, adding sour cream before serving. Saw a recipe on Marks Daily Apple recently for celeriac lasagna, using slices of celery root as "noodles" to bake with meat sauce.

I regularly buy plastic bins of baby kale and add it to everything, right into the pan when I take meats from the oven so it wilts or added to hot sausage or bacon. Bacon fat and any kind of greens is always wonderful, the greens take on a sort of nutty flavor that way instead of seeming bitter.

I like the smaller eggplant too because they have less of the seeds which can be bitter sometimes.

I have a farmer who I visit about once a week. They have a small home garden and sell everyday.

The wife also makes homemade sauerkraut and cans pickles and other veggies from time to time. They also have canned jellies and jams but I don't buy those these days.

They had some really great tomatoes of all different types this summer, up until October when they planted a winter crop so I need to go back and check if they have more now. They're a little higher in carbs so I only buy a few.

I love using bacon fat and bacon for cooking greens too.
I've tried using salt pork lately which is a southern thing and it is so good especially with the more sturdy greens that need a lot of cooking down.

I like to buy from them because they pick the veggies when they are nice and small before they get too big and go to seed like the ones at the grocery store that are way to big sometimes. They also last longer in my fridge when freshly picked since there is no transport time to age them.
  #81   ^
Old Wed, Dec-03-14, 09:10
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

All this talk of squashes is making me want to make a squash soup. Hmmm, butternut sounds good.

I'm loving this thread. I personally think that including veggies and some fruit as part of a long term eating plan is the best way to go for successful weight loss maintenance.
  #82   ^
Old Wed, Dec-03-14, 09:12

Plan: C:12 P:60 F:satiety
Stats: 220/177.6/142 Female 5'5
BF:0/0/0
Progress: 54%

Quote:
My current favorite is celeriac (celery root), great roasted with meats. I've simmered cubes with a little shallot or onion for a soup, adding sour cream before serving. Saw a recipe on Marks Daily Apple recently for celeriac lasagna, using slices of celery root as "noodles" to bake with meat sauce.

cool! i picked up a small celery root to try this week. i've never had it before. i'm guessing that it needs to have the wobbly bits on the outside trimmed off before cooking it?
  #83   ^
Old Wed, Dec-03-14, 09:22

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
All this talk of squashes is making me want to make a squash soup. Hmmm, butternut sounds good.

I'm loving this thread. I personally think that including veggies and some fruit as part of a long term eating plan is the best way to go for successful weight loss maintenance.

I love squash soup too Judy and there was one I used to buy pre-made in the grocery deli but the carbs are crazy high for me right now.

After reading and rereading the carb count for winter squash I might have to put it on the back burner for a while, or at least until I get into maintenance like you.

But that does sound realllly good. Stop-it
  #84   ^
Old Wed, Dec-03-14, 09:29

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizellen
So did Dr Atkins in DANDR - in the "one cup" list.

Thanks, Elizellen, good to know. I haven't read DANDR as carefully as NANY., so wasn't sure what it said. NANY may have its problems, but its lists of veggies are very very concise and unambiguous.

That's interesting, Kristine, that canned pumpkin is not always canned pumpkin and instead might be squash. I've seen a few mainstream recipe sources lately that say something along the lines of "the best pumpkin for pumpkin pie is NOT pumpkin, it is butternut squash" (or some other very sweet squash). I guess the pumpkin filling processors came to the same conclusion.

I tried a small serving (~60 g) of delicata squash this year out of curiosity and it sent my blood sugar soaring (and I'm not even diabetic or even pre-diabetic, just the high end of normal). I'd been eating comparable amounts of acorn with no problem. It's such an individual thing whether we should eat carb-ier foods or not and which ones cause an actual reaction.

Last edited by Liz53 : Wed, Dec-03-14 at 10:21.
  #85   ^
Old Wed, Dec-03-14, 10:30

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc

Judy, now I just can't get the squash soup idea out of my head...
Just look at all of these good recipes.
http://allrecipes.com/recipes/soups...sh-Soup&evt19=1
This one looks really good because I love anything with cream in it.
Original recipe makes 4 Servings Change Servings
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1/2 cup diced onion
3/4 cup diced carrots
4 cups peeled and cubed butternut squash
3 cups vegetable stock
salt and ground black pepper to taste
ground nutmeg to taste
1/2 cup heavy cream

1.Heat the oil and melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Cook and stir the onion in the butter and oil under tender.
2.Mix the carrots and squash into the pot. Pour in vegetable stock, and season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until vegetables are tender.
3.In a blender or food processor, puree the soup mixture until smooth. Return to the pot, and stir in the heavy cream. Heat through, but do not boil. Serve warm with a dash of nutmeg.
Carbs are 21.8g per serving
  #86   ^
Old Wed, Dec-03-14, 11:13
Attitude is a Choice

That sounds nice, Meme!

It doesn't have to be butternut if that's too high in carbs for you at this time. Pumpkin would work too.

I'm going to use my own recipe for this and use Indian seasoning in it.
  #87   ^
Old Wed, Dec-03-14, 13:09

BF:

Judy,What type of Indian spices do you use?
I know that there are some spices in the one I used to buy premade that I can't put my finger on but it gave a certain taste.
Are you the one who posted this pumpkin soup recipe link? I was just looking in my saved links and found this but I can't remember.
http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/pumpkin_sausage_soup.html
This has 6-carbs and 4-net carbs per serving.
Wow that's not too bad.
I guess it has something to do with all of the chicken broth, cream and other ingredients that dilute the pumpkin and lower the carb count.

Last edited by Meme#1 : Wed, Dec-03-14 at 14:07.
  #88   ^
Old Wed, Dec-03-14, 14:30

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by walnut
cool! i picked up a small celery root to try this week. i've never had it before. i'm guessing that it needs to have the wobbly bits on the outside trimmed off before cooking it?
Here is a youtube video on one way to deal with it plus suggestions on how to use it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-a4sIVAzhto

I usually boil cubes of it till soft then mash with plenty of butter.

And a longer video here (part 1 and Part 2)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGkpAh0d9Ik
  #89   ^
Old Wed, Dec-03-14, 15:56
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
Judy,What type of Indian spices do you use?
I know that there are some spices in the one I used to buy premade that I can't put my finger on but it gave a certain taste.
Are you the one who posted this pumpkin soup recipe link? I was just looking in my saved links and found this but I can't remember.
http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/pumpkin_sausage_soup.html
This has 6-carbs and 4-net carbs per serving.
Wow that's not too bad.
I guess it has something to do with all of the chicken broth, cream and other ingredients that dilute the pumpkin and lower the carb count.

Pumpkin is fairly low in carbs to start. Its on the Atkins allowed induction food list.
I've got a Garam Masala blend that is my fav and I also have a curry blend.

That recipe came from AnnieS, I think. I hope that she's OK, wherever she is.
  #90   ^
Old Wed, Dec-03-14, 17:01
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

I posted the pumpkin sausage soup in another thread fairly recently. l love it! It's one of my easy winter staples. I vary the recipe, but it's always rich and filling.

Curried pumpkin soup is another fave. I'm actually probably making that tomorrow; since I don't have anything else in the house and I don't feel like grocery shopping!

Liz, that's strange about your different squash reactions. I could have sworn I read that delicata was lower in carbs, although that was years ago. I know the other reason I bought it was because they were small, so I guess by definition it's lower in carbs if you just consider the small serving size.