Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sun, Nov-16-14, 16:06

Plan: Mine, all mine
Stats: 160/120/120 Female 5'6"
BF:still got some
Progress: 100%

Does anyone remember back in the day when low carbers made loaded turnips (like potatoes).
Turnips in soup add a whole level of flavor and make a nice hash brown.

Rutabeggas are a great replacement for potatoes...a little more dense than turnips.

I always grow eggplant and since summers are hot, we just cut in half lengthwise, brush w EVOO, season w s/p then grill.
I grow the more slender eggplant mostly.
Also don't forget ratatouille which includes a wide variety of those garden vegies. I like to add ground beef at the end for a complete meal.
Eggplant stirfried Asian style is yummm.

I grill zucchini same as above and have a big vegie grill.

When fall starts to roll around and I can stand to have the oven on and in the mood for heavier food, I start using eggplant/zucchini for lasagna, zoodles, etc. Pureed zuch soup is one of my favs and I can use zucch that I freeze for it.

I'm the oddball here since I don't like roasted crucifers. It smells overcooked to me.
Otherwise I can eat them everyday just lightly steamed.
Loaded broccoli is heavenly as well as cauli.

I find broccoli stems make a better mock potato salad than cauliflower.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sun, Nov-16-14, 23:47

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Jem, Yes Ratatouille. I haven't heard of that one in so long I almost forgot about it... Remind me again what all is in it?

I love Zucchinni and bought a Vegatti which makes the spiral noodle shapes which are great too and fun to make! Cheap thrills LOLOL
I love them stir-fried with fried rice ingredients, a little like that Lo-mien chinese noodles. Even my husband thinks so and even wants more which is amazing in itself...

That sounds so fun to grow eggplant!! You must eat them all of the time. I love gardening, are they hard to grow?

OhhhAhhh Zucchini soup sounds so good. I am already going to make Pumpkin soup this week and next Zucchini would be great too.

Feel free to share any recipes you want at any time
  #33   ^
Old Mon, Nov-17-14, 06:58

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

http://cavemanketo.com/fried-radish-hashbrowns/

I saw mention of radish hashbrowns on another forum the other day. Sounds interesting. These hashbrowns have eggs, and the recipe looks more like a potato pancake to me. But maybe people in Southern Ontario only really know what a hashbrown is from McDonald's.
  #34   ^
Old Mon, Nov-17-14, 08:14

Plan: AIP (autoimmune paleo)
Stats: 235/185/165 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 71%

Ok, that radish recipe looks like a perfect low-carb latke to me! It's going on my Chanukah list!

This is my go-to method for making soup :
http://food52.com/recipes/15247-pau...auliflower-soup

It's actually an excellent recipe as written, but I usually use bone broth in place of the water, and I vary with different veggies (current batch is asparagus and a little leftover kale & celery) - but this is my technique. You can also easily add more fats by stirring in cream, coconut milk, cream cheese, whatever. I usually don't do that when I make it (freezes better without that) but I sometimes add a dollop of creme fraiche to my bowlful. I have a bowl of this soup 6 days out of 7...
  #35   ^
Old Mon, Nov-17-14, 11:21

BF:

Teaser, Hashbrowns is one of the things I've made using the that little gadget called the Vegatti.
All I did was add a couple of scrambled eggs to a bowel of zucchini noodles then I shook on some garlic salt/pepper and dropped spoons full into a pan with oil. Tastless/refined coconut oil worked pretty good for this.

Thanks for that recipe Parismama. I think I'll do that with my leftover cauliflower next time since we can never eat an entire head and it's already cooked and ready to go.
What about when you use asparagus, do you blend that one too?
Homemade is the only way to go since there isn't one pre-made soup out there that isn't full of carbs, unless I haven't found it yet.
  #36   ^
Old Mon, Nov-17-14, 13:30

Plan: AIP (autoimmune paleo)
Stats: 235/185/165 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 71%

No matter what soup I make I always mix it to smooth with my immersion blender.

I've never made the recipe with leftover cooked cauliflower, only from raw, so you'd need to adjust cooking time.
  #37   ^
Old Mon, Nov-17-14, 14:24

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by khrussva
One vegetable that I've never tried is eggplant. I don't know if it is the name or just because it looks weird -- but I've just never managed to put one in the shopping cart. Maybe if I read someone raving about an eggplant recipe -- I'll consider giving it a try.
I have an awesome recipe for moussaka. Yum. Well it's not "mine" actually It's the Moussaka recipe from Nourishing Traditions. But I make only half the recipe as the original makes 10-12 servings. Way more than I need!
  #38   ^
Old Mon, Nov-17-14, 14:55
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
I have an awesome recipe for moussaka. Yum. Well it's not "mine" actually It's the Moussaka recipe from Nourishing Traditions. But I make only half the recipe as the original makes 10-12 servings. Way more than I need!

Thank you! That does look good. I'll have to give that one a try. I agree -- the recipe needs to be scaled down. It won't be serving an army. Anyway - I found a link to the recipe (with pictures) here...

Nourishing Traditions moussaka recipe

About the turnips -- I made some turnip hash browns yesterday after dicing the turnip into tiny cubes. I think I did it right -- and they seemed very 'hash brown' like. But they tasted just OK to me. Not my fav. I think it just might be an acquired taste. Maybe a little SF catsup would have made them better -- but I wanted to taste the turnip.
  #39   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-14, 20:33

BF:

I recently saw a recipe for mock potato chips and I can't remember if it was made with turnips or Jicama which is also a white root veggie. I remember seeing it sliced on a mandolin and then fried in oil.
  #40   ^
Old Wed, Nov-19-14, 10:32

BF:

Tonight is Yellow Squash with butter and Parmesan Cheese.
  #41   ^
Old Wed, Nov-19-14, 11:20

Plan: C:12 P:60 F:satiety
Stats: 220/177.6/142 Female 5'5
BF:0/0/0
Progress: 54%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
I recently saw a recipe for mock potato chips and I can't remember if it was made with turnips or Jicama which is also a white root veggie. I remember seeing it sliced on a mandolin and then fried in oil.

we have one of these chipster things from epicure, i've done zucchini chips with it, will have to try the turnips, etc. my son likes using it too. (i'm totally scared of splattering oil with deepfrying things)

#42   ^
Old Wed, Nov-19-14, 11:28

BF:

I know and oil is such a mess. What to do with it after you are thru is always a problem.
Is this like a dehydrator or is there oil in the bottom of the chipster?
  #43   ^
Old Wed, Nov-19-14, 11:45

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

The Chipster intrigued me so I googled it
http://www.epicureselections.com/en...s/4215/chipster
Quote:
Make the tastiest homemade chips ever! Simply slice potatoes with our Ceramic Slicer, place on silicone Chipster, and cook in microwave. No oil needed – no added fat! Season and enjoy. Dishwasher Safe, Microwave Use Only
  #44   ^
Old Wed, Nov-19-14, 16:38

Plan: C:12 P:60 F:satiety
Stats: 220/177.6/142 Female 5'5
BF:0/0/0
Progress: 54%

elizellen beat me to it. i've seen recipes on pinterest that do the same sort of thing where you just line the microwave tray with parchment and cook the veggie chips right on that. to up the fat you can make up a yummy dip http://blissfulbasil.com/2014/03/28...ranch-dressing/. (also amazing on salad or with any number of chopped up lc veggies
  #45   ^
Old Wed, Nov-19-14, 17:39

BF:

Thanks Elizellen and Walnut. Wow you two are good! LOL
That looks really interesting....a little piece of plastic silicone and comes with a slicer too for $20. So how do you like it?

Speaking of cooking in the microwave, have you ever taken a piece of cheese and microwaved it for about 45 seconds then let cool a little. Then remove from plate with a very sharp edged sturdy spatula or the parchment paper which I would love to try.
Anyway it makes a cheese cracker or cheese straw.

Last edited by Meme#1 : Wed, Nov-19-14 at 17:57.