Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#151   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-15, 14:31

Plan: CALP with Primal Leanings
Stats: 368/291.2/160 Female 5' 4
BF:toodmnmch
Progress: 37%

Speaking of roll-ups, I love to take a romaine leaf, smear a bit of mustard or mayo, top with a slice of cheese and a slice of homecooked meat and sometimes a scallion - or half of, placed down the middle of the meat and cheese, roll up and enjoy. Two of these for a nice breakfast or lunch.
Sponsored Links
  #152   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-15, 14:36

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

another vote for roll ups! i am turkey girl myself- i love variety of things inside, but my favorite is laughing cow cheese spread, bell peppers and plenty of sprouts- sometimes with mustard.

when i have the $$$, smoked salmon, creamcheese, and cucumber inside the romaine is awesome!
  #153   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-15, 19:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin120
another vote for roll ups! i am turkey girl myself- i love variety of things inside, but my favorite is laughing cow cheese spread, bell peppers and plenty of sprouts- sometimes with mustard.

when i have the $$$, smoked salmon, creamcheese, and cucumber inside the romaine is awesome!

Drool!
  #154   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-15, 20:11

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Double drool!! LOLO
Wow, such good ideas
  #155   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-15, 23:04

Plan: Keto
Stats: 190/155/145 Female 5ft 3.5 in
BF:
Progress: 78%

I love Asparagus and green onions, and radishes. Usually if I buy raw fresh veggies I can't stop eating them
  #156   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-15, 23:36

BF:

I saw Asparagus growing for the first time a while back and they are so interesting looking. They sprout right up out of the root all sticking up long and skinny like little soldiers. They said that it takes a couple of seasons before the root starts producing the Asparagus.
  #157   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-15, 09:55

Plan: C:12 P:60 F:satiety
Stats: 220/177.6/142 Female 5'5
BF:0/0/0
Progress: 54%

i've grown asparagus from seed, it does make spears the first year but it's supposed to be better for the overall life of the plant to wait for a year to harvest the spears. they look so pretty when they fern out.
  #158   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-15, 10:21

Plan: IR Diet framework, LC
Stats: 310/288/150 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 14%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbena
Ken, there are a lot of good recipes with eggplant as the main ingredient, but for a complete newbie to that vegetable I would suggest grilling it. Slice the eggplant about 1/2" thick, brush all over with olive oil, and sprinkle on your herb of choice (I like my own version of Herbes de Provence). If you have fresh herbs, even better. Grill till you get nice grill marks on the veg (sorry, I never took note of the time involved), turn it over and continue till it feels soft to the tip of a sharp knife. This is an easy way to ease into the whole eggplant thing, and then you can branch out. Look into Middle Eastern recipes; they eat a lot of eggplant. If it helps think of it as "aubergine" instead of "eggplant"; adds a European flair to the veg.

Grilled eggplant is the way I introduced my husband to it. I sliced it, salted it and let it sit to pull out any bitterness, then rinsed it. I put half the marinade recipe I'd made for the steak into a zip-top bag, then the eggplant slices. Grilled the veggies, then the steak. YUM! My husband was shocked at how good it was.
  #159   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-15, 11:25

BF:

I did eggplant Lasagna and my husband loved it so much that he had a second serving. It was amazing that he liked it that much...
  #160   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-15, 12:19

I have a recipe somewhere for an eggplant dip, but found this one for now to share:
Eggplant, red pepper and roasted garlic dip

I do think you could fiddle with this - less garlic, fresh red bell pepper that you oven roast. I like the simplicity of it and think it could work for all or most of us.

My thought being use a tablespoon of this atop a burger, or grilled chicken, alongside some grilled steak, atop some skewers of grilled zucchini and mushrooms...
Have I mentioned I love to cook? LOL.
  #161   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-15, 12:47

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriciakr
I have a recipe somewhere for an eggplant dip, but found this one for now to share:
Eggplant, red pepper and roasted garlic dip

I do think you could fiddle with this - less garlic, fresh red bell pepper that you oven roast. I like the simplicity of it and think it could work for all or most of us.

My thought being use a tablespoon of this atop a burger, or grilled chicken, alongside some grilled steak, atop some skewers of grilled zucchini and mushrooms...
Have I mentioned I love to cook? LOL.

This sounds Heavenly, eggplant, roasted garlic and Red Bell Pepper.
It would be great to make a large batch, freeze and use on many different dishes.
I absolutely love red pepper and use them all of the time. I just had some with my eggs this morning lol
They are so full of vitamin C and now that I don't drink that syrupy commercially processed drink they call orange juice, I think we need all the Vitamin C we can get and the Red Pepper is full of it.

I do love Real Orange juice but haven't had it in a while. The last few years I've planted three citrus trees in my yard. We haven't had any hard freezes in several years so they have really grown but all it takes is one three day freeze and they might not make it. I use my lemons all of the time and oranges are there too but the squirrels got them last year.
That's ok since I'm on low-carb anyway.
  #162   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-15, 10:17

Plan: LC
Stats: 303.8/273.6/145.0 Female 5' 5.5"
BF:50.1%/48.1%/24.1%
Progress: 19%

Speaking of eggplant. Meme, I finally remembered to find the recipe I use:

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/eggplant_lasagna.html
  #163   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-15, 10:30

BF:

Thank you Susan....
Ahh Linda Sue's web-site. Isn't it wonderful?

That lady has it all together that's for sure.
Tried and true recipes and I love how she updates them when she cooks them again.
I don't cook my eggplant first but just layer the long slices raw and I don't peel first either. Looks like she decided not to peel first anymore.

When I cook the whole thing, the eggplant are well cooked and any more cooking I think they would just turn to complete mush. I've also started slicing them a little thicker closer to 1 inch because they do cook down so much.

I also use ground beef with the sauce mix and made mine from scratch with the lowest canned tomatoes I could find, I think they were 4g carbs per serving. I have to have meat with every meal so the ground beef is a must for me.
  #164   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-15, 10:32

Plan: LC
Stats: 303.8/273.6/145.0 Female 5' 5.5"
BF:50.1%/48.1%/24.1%
Progress: 19%

Awesome idea about using ground beef, Meme! I'll try that next time. DH will appreciate it, LOL!
  #165   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-15, 10:39

BF:

Yes My DH is doing low-carb with me now.
Ever since he had his BS wake-up call he has been fully on board. I've been at it since last November 2013 and he started Sept 2014 and although he had been eating it every night with me he was on the carbs all day.
He is definitely a convert now as his BS is way down.