Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Fri, Jul-15-05, 09:29
Lobstergal

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onelove
I just got the book and am considering switching over to it

Go for it Onelove. It is great.
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Fri, Jul-15-05, 10:08
Just keep swimming

Plan: General Low Carb/IF
Stats: 226/186.6/160 Female 5' 8"
BF:34/29/24
Progress: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobstergal
I've been slowly feeding my son this way too but with him being veggie phobic it is difficult.

What do you have in mind for a GI Diet challenge?

- I have a veggie phobic son, too! I make him at least TRY everything (he's 15 and has been this way ever since he spit out his baby food).

Good luck on figuring out your trigger food. I decided to give up aspartame just recently and found that my cravings went way down. I went through some major withdrawal for a few days - I was a major Diet Coke addict. I'm still drinking caffeine in the form of iced tea, but I'm definitely not having the problems with the cravings like I was before!

I didn't really have anything specific in mind for the challenge - it seems like there's interest in the GI diet on different threads. Maybe I'm thinking more of a support group! I would love to keep in touch with other followers - this really seems like a healthier diet to me. On Atkins, I was always fixing meals for the whole family and drooling over their pasta and potatoes! I was even craving milk! I would like to fix healthier meals for my family, and this seems like a reasonable diet for everybody!

Let me know what you think!
  #78   ^
Old Fri, Jul-15-05, 10:36
Lobstergal

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplemom
- I have a veggie phobic son, too! I make him at least TRY everything (he's 15 and has been this way ever since he spit out his baby food).

Good luck on figuring out your trigger food. I decided to give up aspartame just recently and found that my cravings went way down. I went through some major withdrawal for a few days - I was a major Diet Coke addict. I'm still drinking caffeine in the form of iced tea, but I'm definitely not having the problems with the cravings like I was before!

I didn't really have anything specific in mind for the challenge - it seems like there's interest in the GI diet on different threads. Maybe I'm thinking more of a support group! I would love to keep in touch with other followers - this really seems like a healthier diet to me. On Atkins, I was always fixing meals for the whole family and drooling over their pasta and potatoes! I was even craving milk! I would like to fix healthier meals for my family, and this seems like a reasonable diet for everybody!

Let me know what you think!

A support group is a great idea. Count me in. Perhaps we could have a Yahoo GI Diet support group and keep in contact that way. I'd be willing to set it up or you could if you like the idea. Let me know.

I am suspecting artificial sweeteners might be my trigger but I do not use them all that often. I have 1 or 2 diet pepsis when I go out grocery shopping. I used to drink several diet pepsis a day after getting hooked on it when I was with my last bf. He drank a 2 litre bottle of the stuff every day when we were together.Probably more. I used to take a glass or 2 from his and then got hooked on the stuff. I had the same major withdrawals you did
but it tastes soooo goood. I get my caffeine fix with a cup of tea every other day. Water is my main beverage now.

Grocery shopping is once or twice a week depending on how much I buy and how much we eat. I was eating sugarfree yogurt but have switched to plain lowfat yogurt now and still have the cravings. It is very puzzling.

My veggie phobic son is 15 too. His brother (who recently moved out) is 20 and eats anything not tied down (and is skinny as a rail too).

One thing I like about the GI diet is that we can still have potatoes even if they have to be 2 or 3 boiled new potatoes. I do not have them every day but it is nice to have a serving with my lunch or dinner when I am in the mood for them.

I do not drink milk anymore as i can taste the lactose in it now (blech!) but I do drink 2 cups of buttermilk every day. Yum!!
  #79   ^
Old Fri, Jul-15-05, 11:44
Just keep swimming

Plan: General Low Carb/IF
Stats: 226/186.6/160 Female 5' 8"
BF:34/29/24
Progress: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobstergal
My veggie phobic son is 15 too. His brother (who recently moved out) is 20 and eats anything not tied down (and is skinny as a rail too).

One thing I like about the GI diet is that we can still have potatoes even if they have to be 2 or 3 boiled new potatoes. I do not have them every day but it is nice to have a serving with my lunch or dinner when I am in the mood for them.

Actually, I have triplet 15-year-old sons (only one is veggie phobic) - they're in my gallery, if you want to check them out.

I guess we could just start a new thread in the lower carb category and call it "GI Diet Support Group." - I'll be glad to start it, or you can since you've been doing this longer!

I like the fact that we can have potatoes, too. I'm perfectly happy with a few boiled new potatoes, when I want them. I'm like you, I don't necessarily have them every day, but at least they're not "forbidden!"
  #80   ^
Old Sun, Jul-17-05, 23:34
Lobstergal

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Very good looking boys.

You can start the thread if you like. I do not think I am going to be online much in the next couple of days. I'm not feeling too well today and think I am coming down with something....just want to sleep and stay close to the bathroom.

Don't even want to think about food. Blech.
  #81   ^
Old Tue, Jul-19-05, 02:25

Plan: initially Atkins, now GL
Stats: 308/201/182 Female 5'11 (72")
BF:
Progress: 85%

on the veggie phobic thing - how about mash? My niece is pretty veggie phobic but she loves mash - so we quite often substitute potato for cheesy cauli mash (mashed cauliflower with cheese), or mashed sweet potato, mashed carrot with herbs ... and for the hell of it we even dyed the cauli mash purple with some natural food colouring once - and now she loves mad coloured food, which is great as you can hide other veg in it?! is that bad - probably not!! The GL Diet (Nigel Denby, UK book - www.dietfreedom.co.uk) has good mash recipes. Also on the GL thing - it's easier (well I find it so) for the low carbers among us as it is about the GI AND the carbs in an average portion - makes more sense to me! onwards and upwards x Claire
  #82   ^
Old Wed, Jul-27-05, 23:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 233/201/190 Female 5 feet 11 inches
BF:waytoomuch
Progress: 74%

topanguson:
Thanks for the links to your recipes!
  #83   ^
Old Tue, Dec-13-05, 04:10

Plan: initially Atkins, now GL
Stats: 308/201/182 Female 5'11 (72")
BF:
Progress: 85%

hiya - long time no speak?! How's GLing going for everyone? I am over halfway there, VERY excited! Happy Hols everyone xx Claire
  #84   ^
Old Tue, Dec-13-05, 08:23
Lovin' The GI Diet!

Plan: YOU: On A Diet
Stats: 250.0/231.0/160 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Claire - they started a gi thread under semi low carb it's over here-------------> http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...734#post5787734
Come on over!
  #85   ^
Old Wed, Dec-14-05, 09:20
Registered Member

Plan: Low-Carb for PCOS
Stats: 244/193/170 Female 5' 6"
BF:Going down
Progress: 69%

I have read the GI diet and the insulin resistance diet, and am incorporating them both into my lives. Over the past year, with changes in diet and taking Metformin, I have lost 50 lbs AND am still losing! It has been very slow (had some bad days and some good days, got sick this winter, getting back to speed now) but steady, and what more can you ask for? This isn't a quick fix.. this is the way I will keep myself healthy and happy for the rest of my life!
  #86   ^
Old Wed, Dec-14-05, 09:29
Lovin' The GI Diet!

BF:

Congrats LKPNYC , 50 pounds is awesome! Yes you are right about not being a quick fix....the GI diet is something I can live with forever!
Best wishes to you.
Chari
  #87   ^
Old Thu, Jan-12-06, 14:51
Lovin' The GI Diet!

BF:

********bump*************
  #88   ^
Old Fri, Jan-13-06, 07:11
Lovin' The GI Diet!

BF:

Quincy , where did you go?
I don't see you on this thread.....it dropped off into never land.
I need to go through and read it.
Chari
  #89   ^
Old Sat, Jan-14-06, 09:00

Plan: The G.I. Diet
Stats: 205/185/165 Male 71 inches
BF:29%/26%/23%
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfer376
Quincy , where did you go? I don't see you on this thread.....it dropped off into never land. I need to go through and read it.
Chari

Hi Chari:
I'm in the first few pages of this thread, then my life dropped off into neverland. For more than a year I quite watching what I ate and gained back the 15 lbs. I lost. Thats why it means a lot to me now to reach my mini-goal of 185 lbs. as I havn't been that weight for many many years.
Too many things happened in that year: We found out 2 out of our 3 kids were drug addicts. We became the legal guardians (parents) of our granddaughter, We moved to a new city, changed jobs, bought a new house, did the intervention/rehab thing for our kids. The stress and disapointment was almost too much to bear. Something had to give. Somehow (it was our faith) we managed to get through it all. We're still raising our granddaughter, and waiting to see what happens to her mom in rehab for the second time around. Dieting kind of went out the window.
So, yes we did fall off the grid for a while. Things are much better now and we can do this again. It took me a while but I'm learning how not to handle stress with eating, so no matter what happens, I am figuring out how to deal with "stuff" in a different way, because inevitably "stuff" happens.
Q.
  #90   ^
Old Sat, Jan-14-06, 10:26
Lovin' The GI Diet!

BF:

Wow , Q, you started this thread over a year ago.
Well look at you now. Author of our own g.i Summary of the plan. Did you ever think that would happen. Does GD eat healthy gi foods and like them. I can't git my five year old DD to eat my food, but she asks me daily if what she is eating is healthy. I say no baby that microwave mac n cheese is not healthy as she shovles it in...lol
Check ya on the flip side Q
Chari