Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-24-02, 12:20

Plan: Vegetarian Low GI
Stats: 188/179.8/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 13%
Angry When the scale doesn't match how you look/feel

Hi all,
Is it just me or are other people finding that the scale doesn't match how they feel and look on LCing? I've been at it for about a month now and the scale only shows a loss of 5 pounds (and this week, it says I gained 3!). Yet, I'm feeling better than I ever did with low-fat diets, my clothes are bagging on me, and I KNOW I'm losing weight. I don't think I'm gaining muscle mass because I've been a pretty steady exerciser for a while now (and recently decreased my exercise regimen, actually) but just looking at the stall/gain on the scale and knowing that I'm feeling great and losing inches is frustrating. Anyone else have that problem?

I've chucked my scale and decided to go with measurements for now. Also, I changed my stats to reflect BMI like Nat's (so it won't look so discouraging!).

I'm hanging in there!

Tam
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-24-02, 17:20

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: When the scale doesn't match how you look/feel

Quote:
Originally posted by tammay
but just looking at the stall/gain on the scale and knowing that I'm feeling great and losing inches is frustrating. Anyone else have that problem?

I've chucked my scale and decided to go with measurements for now. Also, I changed my stats to reflect BMI like Nat's

Tammay, why would the fact that you're shrinking and losing inches make you frustrated? I'd be pleased as punch - I am pleased as punch.

And BTW, my stats are my % of Body Fat, not BMI. BMI is a notoriously inacurate method of determining fitness. I changed them to reflect something that matters to me - scale weight has little interest and was never my goal.

Nat
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-24-02, 18:46
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 226/210/140
BF:
Progress: 19%

My scales never match how I feel....A bit of advice, do what i did and throw em in the back of the closet. Measure you successes on how you feel and how your clothes fit. You will feel 100 x better....guarenteed.
This society incuding myself have a fixation on the numbers on the scale. Remeber eating alot of proteins rebuilds and repairs muscle. Muscale weighs more ....for less of it then fat ...

edwina
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-28-02, 12:23

Stats: 226/198/140
BF:
Progress: 33%
Unhappy what if ......

scale numbers and measurements have not budged at all, but clothing seems looser? I've been faithful for 7 weeks and after the first 3 weeks, nothing has changed.

Deb
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-28-02, 13:51

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

I have been keeping track of measurements to give myself a better guide to how I'm doing, since I've had several lengthy periods of time where the scale did not go down as I'd like it too. Being able to see that the inches are going anyway has really been a boost to me and kept me on track.

I've been entering my weight in FitDay all along and using the reports there, have been able to see that also in spite of long periods (3-5weeks) where the scale doesn't move, in the 5 months I've been doing Atkins I've averaged about 1.5 pounds a week.

Marlaine
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-28-02, 15:15

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 285/234/160
BF:
Progress: 41%

There's also the question of where you measure. I'm down 10 lb, but my measurements are only down about 3/4 inch. Now I know I tend to pull the tape a little tight when the result is going to be bad, but I thought I'd stuck my finger between my waist and the tape measure. On the other hand, the latest accumulation of fat on my midriff has definitely gone down--my shirts fit way better. Unfortunately, I measured my bust and my waist, not the bit in between.

Susan
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Mar-04-02, 19:11

Stats: 224/224/150 Female 5ft 5in
BF:
Progress: 0%
Exclamation RE: Weight and scales

I'm with Nat. If i knew i was losing inches, i would be jumping up and down. the scale said i lost three pounds last week..this week i am up two. my clothes arent any baggier (come to find out i was working my lower body way too much and building too much muscle..needless to say, i have since all but eliminated the incline on the treadmill...anyway, i am still feeling great mentally and thats just fine by me. i refuse to get discouraged. i feel too good for that. im sure it will all come together in the end. hang in there.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Mar-05-02, 03:50

Plan: Paleoish
Stats: 218/175/155 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 68%

I'm losing weight but not noticing my clothes any baggier. Luckily I took my measurements a few weeks ago and, upon re-measuring myself, have discovered that I have lost a bit in measurement - but they are all over. So I'm not noticing a big difference because I'm losing little bits all over my body.

Tammay, just keep at it and eventually it will start moving again. The main thing is that you are feeling great AND losing inches, so hang in there!

Melberry