Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, May-04-04, 07:50
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolic Surge
Stats: 170/139/? Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Thanks Jag

I've heard this before about the "tiny" amount of pwo dextrose. That's where you REALLY can't rely on a premix - they're usually forumlated WAY too high. Even 40g PWO dextrose is too much for me, and most premix whey with dextrose has more than 40g dextrose in a 35g protein serving.

I'll check out that forum for more, for sure.

Cheers
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, May-04-04, 13:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 239/168.2/150 Female 5'7
BF:whoa boy
Progress: 80%

I wanted to chime in here about whey protein shakes. I picked up a giant vat of one from the Vitamin Shoppe a few weeks back - for baking, believe it or not. It has absolutely zero carbs and it is sweetened with sucralose. Brand is VPX. I bought the vanilla flavor.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, May-04-04, 13:13

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 225/200/130 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 26%
Question

speaking of quality protein powders. I ran into a GNC in town to pick up some and they had a million different kinds. Some were $20, some were $45. I had no clue what to look for. Just the protein count per serving??? Any suggestions on how to tell the quality of protein powders? Also, any good online sources for cheap shake mix?

~ Cori ~
  #19   ^
Old Tue, May-04-04, 13:18
Registered Member

BF:

I just use chocolate flavoured, AS whey, whatever's cheap. I don't think it matters as much as some sources SAY it matters, at least unless you are getting ready to compete.

My .02

#20   ^
Old Tue, May-04-04, 14:39
Modified :)

Stats: 242/223/175 Male 170cm
BF:
Progress: 28%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Built
My understanding is that whey is better post workout because of its speed, but casein is good overnight because it releases slowly while you sleep, but I could be TOTALLY wrong here - I'm just spouting off something I remember reading somewhere.

That's the way I understand it too.
Quote:
Post cardio, whey shake probably not such a good idea because your metabolic rate isn't going to stay high after cardio like it will after lifting. Unless, of course, you do your cardio after you lift (which is the correct order!), at which point, of course, it will because of the lifting.

I do HIIT cardio, so the theory is that the metabolic rate stays elevated for an extended period after the workout, so I just use whey & water
  #21   ^
Old Tue, May-04-04, 14:48
Modified :)

Stats: 242/223/175 Male 170cm
BF:
Progress: 28%

Quote:
Originally Posted by corianin
I had no clue what to look for. Just the protein count per serving??? Any suggestions on how to tell the quality of protein powders?

I'd say the main things you'd want to look for are:-

g of Protein per serving
g of Carbs per serving
$ per serving

Obviously your ideal will be high protein, low carbs and low $ per serving, assuming it tastes ok!

At the moment I have two brands of whey - the stuff I'd like to use, which everyone raves about at the place I get my supplements (I've just had it delivered so not tried it yet) and is 19.5g protein, 1g of carb for £0.35 a serving. The one I've been using for a while has been on special at my local health shop, and is 17g protein, 1.9g - 2.5g carb (depending on flavour) for £0.26 a serving.

When I need whey, if I can't get the special offer one, I'll buy the expensive good one, but I live with the carbs and slightly less protein for the price at the moment...
  #22   ^
Old Tue, May-04-04, 14:50
Registered Member

BF:

I totally agree with you doogieb, on both posts. And HIIT is the bomb!

#23   ^
Old Fri, May-07-04, 13:08

Plan: atkins
Stats: 160/143/125 Female 5-6
BF:got/luv/handles
Progress: 49%

I just ate like 1/2 a chicken breast about 15 min after my work out. Is this sufficiant? Are the shakes better?
  #24   ^
Old Fri, May-07-04, 13:16

Plan: Atkins /NHE/CKD
Stats: 289/219/200 Male 5' 8"
BF:41%/20%/18%
Progress: 79%

Whey Protein will be absorbed much faster than the chicken.
Chicken is good
Whey is great.
Also, the sooner the better.
Jag
  #25   ^
Old Fri, May-07-04, 14:29
Registered Member

BF:

Yeah, fast is really important after lifting.

That's why a whey shake is a good idea - it's all chewed up into small particles, so it goes right in. It's also low fat, so it speeds the delivery into your muscles.

This can also knock you out of ketosis if you do it at other times, though. You can slow it down by eating something fatty and fibrous with it, like a low carb bran muffin with lots of butter. That's what I do if I'm having a whey shake for a meal other than PWO - for example, this is what I usually have for my morning coffee break.
  #26   ^
Old Sat, May-08-04, 08:20

Plan: Now All around healthy
Stats: 195/179/165 Male 74
BF:
Progress: 53%

Just wandering about running! Should I drink a shake after doing my run for the day? Would I also benefit?
  #27   ^
Old Sat, May-08-04, 10:17
Registered Member

BF:

Personally, I don't do "supplemental" food after cardio - real food only, protein and lots of fat to keep ketosis going. My experience has been that the whey just knocks you out of ketosis.

Probably different if you are running for performance rather than fat loss. But I don't run anymore - the hips and knees just couldn't take it anymore <creak!>
  #28   ^
Old Sat, May-08-04, 10:45

Plan: Atkins - Low-Cal
Stats: 145/128/120 Male 67 inches
BF:10%/5%/2%
Progress: 68%

After a work-out I consume 1-2 gallons of water immediatly and don't eat the rest of the day, I would do my workouts in the mid-evening. I've always thought it was best not to eat after working out because that would defeat the whole purpose of working out, to burn calories and lose weight.
  #29   ^
Old Sun, May-09-04, 01:27
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by addictmeHM
After a work-out I consume 1-2 gallons of water immediatly and don't eat the rest of the day, I would do my workouts in the mid-evening. I've always thought it was best not to eat after working out because that would defeat the whole purpose of working out, to burn calories and lose weight.

...hmmm - depends on what you are trying to do. It also depends on the type of exercise you are doing.

If you are doing cardio, you are best off not eating any more CARBS that day, and keeping your fats ass-high to prevent any protein you eat from glycolyzing. Lots of water is a good idea here (not sure about the one or two GALLONS all at once in the evening though...)

If you are doing weightlifting, the purpose of doing it is actually to cause muscle damange (catabolism), which in turn requires a LOT of energy to rebuild (anabolism). If you don't feed it protein right after lifting, you risk further catabolism of your muscle tissue.

The good news is that if you get this protein in FAST (ie whey shake IMMEDIATELY after lifting), it will get to your muscles while your body is ready to use it.

Drinking that much water all at once can actually be quite a strain on your kidneys. Does your doctor know you are doing this?

Forgive me, but I just read your profile. You're male, 5'7", and want to get DOWN to 120 pounds?

I'm female, 5'8", and would DISAPPEAR if I weighed 120 pounds.

Was this a typo?
  #30   ^
Old Sun, May-09-04, 08:58

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 135/130.5/120 Female 5'4"
BF:26/???/18
Progress: 30%
Default Another question about after workout food

TrainerDan, Built, Anyone???????

If I drink a whey protein shake (w/o carbs) after a workout should I include it into my calorie count for the day since the shake is readily used? Reason I am asking is - I am watching my calories as well as my carbs but when I tallied up my calories for the day (1 weight workout and 1 boot camp workout) I was close to 2500 calories for that day. I'm trying to stay b/w 1400-1800/day. I know I need more calories when working out but 1000 more a day seems a little crazy. What do you think?

Thanks!

-Aimee