Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 08:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 130/128/112 Female 5'1''
BF:
Progress: 11%
Question After work-out food?

Hello, I'm not sure if this has been asked many times before, so i apologise if it has been. I've started working-out and I was just wondering what the best thing to eat after is, if anything? At the moment I work out and have lots of water after, then about an hour or two later I have dinner. Should I be having some sort of protein shake or something before or after my work-out? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Tammy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 08:53

Plan: atkins
Stats: 160/143/125 Female 5-6
BF:got/luv/handles
Progress: 49%

Good question, I have been wondering the same thing.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 09:14
Modified :)

Stats: 242/223/175 Male 170cm
BF:
Progress: 28%

What I do, and I'm pretty sure you'll hear is the best advice is a protein shake (in particular whey protein) within 20 mins of working out. I see you're in the UK - at the moment Holland and Barrett have got their whey down to £10.66 a drum (908g/2lb) which is less than half price. It's approx 18g of protein per serving for between approx 1.5g - 2.5g of carbs depending on what flavour you get (IIRC banana is the lowest)

I normally have a double scoop after a workout - I take it in a zip lock bag, put water in my shaker, add it then shake. If you get a proper protein shaker (I've seen them in H&B a couple of times as well as gym suppliers) it will have a mesh thing inside which helps with mixing so you don't get lumps
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 09:16

BF:

Oh yeah, if you're at home / near a fridge, you might want to do your shakes with water & double cream.... much tastier

If you're looking at other wheys, check the carb count. Reflex do one that has a really good name, but is more expensive than the H&B sale price (but less than the H&B normal price) - I've got a choc mint one in the post to me to see how it tastes, supposed to be really good, and it's slightly higher protein and only 1g of carb per serving, which can get important if you're having multiples.

Check out www.affordablesupplements.co.uk for the reflex whey
  #5   ^
Old Sun, May-02-04, 07:17
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/South Beach
Stats: 141/141/110 Female 4' 11"
BF:
Progress:

Doogieb- Amen & amen! Cream rocks! I love that it's OK w/ the low carb lifestyle. One thing I miss is milk. I always mixed milk w/ my pr. shakes. It's even better with cream. Plus, a mixture of whey and casin (pr from dairy) is suppose to be best. So I put a splash or two (or three) when I have it.

Some who are just starting on proteins seem to like Soy shakes. Keep trying them til you find one you like.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, May-02-04, 09:01

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 135/130.5/120 Female 5'4"
BF:26/???/18
Progress: 30%

Do you guys drink it after a weight workout as well as a cardio workout? Or should a post-cardio meal be something different?
  #7   ^
Old Sun, May-02-04, 09:41

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%

I do 40g whey isolate (Isopure) after ALL workouts. Repair/recovery ... I think you could benefit from it TXAimee ... the intensity of your program warrants it.

Just my opinion though.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, May-02-04, 11:25

BF:

TXAimee I think it's most important after a weights workout, but I do the same after a cardio workout anyway as Trainerdan says.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, May-02-04, 22:43

Plan: THM
Stats: 182/154/130 Female 5'3"
BF:00/00/00
Progress: 54%

I drink one Atkins shake following ALL my workouts (as a rule, have been known to "skip" one but not often). Each has 20 g of protein - should I be drinking 2? Or would I be better off mixing up my own using a whey protein pwder or isolate pwder - as long as I don't have to use a blender! (would wake DH up w/ the noise & he works midnights)
  #10   ^
Old Sun, May-02-04, 22:54

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 225/200/130 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 26%

I just finished reading "Nutrient Timing" by John Ivy PhD, Robert Portman PhD. It talks all about what you should eat and when to increase muscle mass and reduce body fat. What I gathered was that you have about 45 minutes when your body is starving for nutrients after a workout, when it will absorb the most from what you give it. And a carb/protein drink allowed the body to absorb more protien and nutrients than a protein drink alone. So usually I take 1 cup skim milk and mix it with my protein powder about 30 minutes after my workout. That way you can ensure that more of the protein you're taking in is getting to the muscles where it is needed to repair and construct new muscle fibers. That's just my uneducated guess. I've read one book on teh subject so now I'm an expert, right?

~ Cori ~
  #11   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 04:06

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%

Well, yes, protein and carbs is the way to go after a workout, but since we are LC, it kind of puts a damper on things.

I still manage good results with just LC ... although with the plan I normally use (CKD), I get carb-ups on the weekends.

I have been wanting to get that book. Is it worth the money? I mean, I already know about the anabolic window and all that ... does it go through a whole day for you?
  #12   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 09:23

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 225/200/130 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 26%
Wink

TrainerDan~

Yep, it goes through and explains daily meals for individuals. Snack plans and other stuff. I think it's worth the money but then again I didn't buy the book and it's all very interesting to me because I know ziltch about sports nutrition. Are there any sites you can suggest on learning more about body building and the effects of nutrition?

~ Cori ~
  #13   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 14:04
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolic Surge
Stats: 170/139/? Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi there

My .02 about the post-lifting whey shake thing.

Protein shake, you bet. I do about 35g of protein right after I train, low carb whey shake.

Weirdly, try to keep this one low fat(!) as well, to help it slip into your muscles faster - that's why a shake is better than food for this part. No whipping cream in this one.

Carbs? Hmmm - varies a LOT from person to person. My experience is that post workout carbs make me gain too much fat, but for men, it is often quite beneficial to have post workout carbs with their whey shake. Casein I don't know much about - I think it's a slower protein? My understanding is that whey is better post workout because of its speed, but casein is good overnight because it releases slowly while you sleep, but I could be TOTALLY wrong here - I'm just spouting off something I remember reading somewhere.

Post cardio, whey shake probably not such a good idea because your metabolic rate isn't going to stay high after cardio like it will after lifting. Unless, of course, you do your cardio after you lift (which is the correct order!), at which point, of course, it will because of the lifting.

If you DO want to do a whey shake after cardio, my thinking is that this would be the time to oil/cream it up to slow it down. I really tend to avoid doing cardio and lifting on the same day, though, to avoid it being catabolic to my muscle tissue.

I like to get in slow protein and fat after cardio so it doesn't knock me out of ketosis, but I could be persuaded to rethink this.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, May-04-04, 14:39

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Built
My understanding is that whey is better post workout because of its speed, but casein is good overnight because it releases slowly while you sleep, but I could be TOTALLY wrong here - I'm just spouting off something I remember reading somewhere.

That's the way I understand it too.
Quote:
Post cardio, whey shake probably not such a good idea because your metabolic rate isn't going to stay high after cardio like it will after lifting. Unless, of course, you do your cardio after you lift (which is the correct order!), at which point, of course, it will because of the lifting.

I do HIIT cardio, so the theory is that the metabolic rate stays elevated for an extended period after the workout, so I just use whey & water
  #15   ^
Old Tue, May-04-04, 05:14

Stats: 130/128/112 Female 5'1''
BF:
Progress: 11%

Thanks for the great advice everyone. I do about 30 min of tae-bo a day so would the protein shake be the correct thing to have? Anyway, i'll order some whey protein and give it a go.

Thanks,
Tammy