Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Thu, Mar-01-12, 00:04

Plan: Dr. Eric Westman's/Atkins
Stats: 150/148/132 Female 5'-4"
BF:
Progress: 11%

Thanks.....I wish!.....This doctor is close to the mountains and I am on the coast so it would be 6 or more hours from me. I will keep looking though! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Thu, Mar-01-12, 08:30

Plan: Ketogenic now
Stats: 277/121/125 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 103%

Look up compounding pharmacies then cuz there are MANY that do BHRT using a doctor they 'employ'...and while you're on the phone...ask if they compound T4 and T3 for patients and what doctor's are doing THAT too. I think you might just get a 'hit' doing that.

I know someone about where you are but she says she won't 'give the doc's name' cuz the doctor (it's a female and it's a GYN) doesn't want it 'known' she will do natural thyroid ...cuz it would take up a lot of her time away from her PG patients'.

I'll keep my ears open for ya!
  #33   ^
Old Fri, Mar-02-12, 10:00

BF:

Hey....I do need an OB/GYN! My doctor (an internist in Pollocksville) does do Naturethroid and I have it compounded in Raleigh and mailed to me. I'll look on their website! The same pharmacy is making our HcG and mailing it to us today in fact.
  #34   ^
Old Sat, Mar-03-12, 08:16

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroangie
Hey....I do need an OB/GYN! My doctor (an internist in Pollocksville) does do Naturethroid and I have it compounded in Raleigh and mailed to me. I'll look on their website! The same pharmacy is making our HcG and mailing it to us today in fact.

Well, then, they must compound BHRT too!
  #35   ^
Old Sun, Mar-04-12, 13:56

BF:

They do! But, they ship my meds to me. I'll have to drive four hours which I can certainly do. I looked at their website and found a list of docs. I have emailed a few but WOW they are expensive!!!!
  #36   ^
Old Sun, Mar-04-12, 14:02

BF:

I found an OB/GYN in Greenville that does integrative medicine. Think I will call her. That's less than two hours from me. Found it through Mark Hyman's website.
  #37   ^
Old Mon, Mar-05-12, 06:58

BF:

I used the same doc for thyroid as I did for BHRT (I got lucky, he was the 'pioneer for testosterone replacement in the USA for men' and was really good. And yes, it WAS expensive...I'm a little 'sorry' now that I pushed to work two and sometimes even three jobs (because now I'm disabled and a lot of my disability has to do with me 'working my bones and body to death') to afford it even WITH insurance!

Actually the cost of the transdermal BHRT was MUCH less than what it cost to do the testing.

I hope you have much success with this.
  #38   ^
Old Sat, Mar-31-12, 10:14

BF:

Pam...I found a place in Raleigh for the BHRT. The lady that manages it is a friend of mine from childhood. I am not understnading some of these tests she told me I could get done on my own to save money. This is copied and pasted from one of her replies to me. Of course, I know what FSH, TSH, and B12 are but the other three I am unfamiliar with. Also, I am a bit concerned that some of the tests you mentioned aren't listed.
-----------------------------------------------------
Angie,
Do this..have your labs done within 2 weeks of our appointment and bring them with you. Have the doc test for T2, P4, FSH, B12, E2 and TSH.. I will need to change your appointment to another day b c our Dr. Is in the office on T, W, and Th til 1:00. I can schedule you to meet w Dr. Murphy with your labs so I will send u a symptom questionnaire and you will need to complete it and send it to me. I will run this by our manager and I'm sure he will ok it. Then you and I can discuss payment options. Also, give me all your BCBS insurance info and I will call them to see if they will reimburse and we will go from there. Does that sound ok?
Jah!
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry
--------------------------------------------------------

I have recent tests done for progesterone, testosterone, and estrogen levels.....is this what she is talking about here?
  #39   ^
Old Sun, Apr-01-12, 06:05

BF:

The other tests she is telling you are probably progesterone and estriol. Some naturapaths do those and then just give 'plant compounds''.

Unless it's her way of saying it's 'estradiol, estriol, and progesterone, which I wouldn't WANT WITHOUT FT's..TSH doesn't tell anything ..and you need to keep having FT's when you do BHRT as any incoming hormone 'binds' thyroid...the doctor, if GOOD, will keep checking Free T's and Estradiol, progesterone, Free testosterone, etc. NOT just TSH.

Lots of these people aren't actually 'doctors' at pharmacies and they aren't ALLOWED to do the certain tests.

Symptom questionairres aren't much 'help' if all you have is a TSH and no other thyroid levels. I was meaning that if you find a pharm that compounds, they might be able to TELL YOU real doctors who do the Rx'ing and blood testing at labs.