Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jun-28-03, 00:06
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins-->CALP
Stats: 120/116/110
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default Are AS in RM to count as Carbs ??

Hi all,
I just have a quick question about AS products. I am trying to stick to the 1/3 ratio for vegies, carbs & protein in my RM & am wondering if things like LC muffins, bars, AS Jelly etc need to be classed as the carb portion of the meal even if they are carb free... or are they "exempt"
I hope this makes sense!!! I am thinking of the concept that although AS have no carbs they effect insulin levels the same way as carbs for us CAs.

Please help!! I've confused myself
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jun-28-03, 00:19
Registered Member

BF:
Default Can I add..

Perhaps I should add the reason why I am asking this bizarre quessy!!..
I have found it hard to control myself with the sweets at my RM (despite having a salad) & found last night that when I filled up on some Jelly sweetened with AS it filled me up & I was able to indulge my sweet tooth...
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jun-28-03, 05:44
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Polly
Yes, you have to count anything sweetened with AS as a carb at your RM. The only exception to this would be a diet soda. As you intuited, CAs react to AS as to carbs, so they have to be counted as such.

Just a point. If you have trouble controlling yourself at RM with dessert, you might be allergic/sensitive to the ingredients in the desserts. Sensitivities/allergens cause cravings and uncontrollable appetite too. Common ones are sugar, wheat, dairy. Many people have adjusted their menus to avoid their allergens and lose weight on CAD.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jun-28-03, 17:16
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks for the advice Z, I have actually put on 2 pounds for the second week running. I am sure that i am over eating in my RM as I have double checked all foods in my CMs and they are perfectly legal. I tend to go eat huge portions & tend to crave the sweets more.

I'm going to give it another week of being really strict on the RM in the way of balancing my foods & eating a "normal" amount. I think my problem before was that I saw the RM as 1 hour of non stop eating rather than 1 meal in which no foods were barred.
I'm a little down today as I only wanted to lose 4 pounds on CAD & have ended up putting on 4 If anything I am disappointed in myself for being abit greedy.
Not 2 worry, I'll be extra good this week & hopefully will be back on track.
Thank goodness for this forum & all the great advice.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jun-29-03, 04:02
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Zuleikaa,
Further to my last post, I am interested inwhat you mentioned about the food allergies.... I thought the symptoms were worse , but if cravings & increased appetite are some then maybe that would explain my difficulties with desserts
You mentioned that Diet Soda wouldn't be classed as a carb/sugar Do you know if AS jelly would?? Also, if I were to avoid sugery desserts, do you know if I would need to include fruit as well ?? I would hate to think I couldn't have my fruit salad or dried fruit either. I'm starting to think I do have a problem the way I panic at just the thought of not having them
As always, I appreciate all your advice.. have you thought of charging for your consultations ?? :
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jun-29-03, 08:09
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Polly
Check out BeccaRN's journal. She is doing CAD with a controlled sugar RM and losing weight. In fact she made goal!!! If sugar is a trigger for you, and it can be, substitue lc products and AS sweetened desserts for RM. They still have to be counted in your carb portion but they won't trigger you and would help you lose weight.

I would love such a business!!!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jun-29-03, 11:47

Plan: south beach (CAD)
Stats: 314/284/150 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:49
Progress: 18%

Hi Polly-glad that you have joined us! It would be great to start a journal where we could visit you, check out your foods for the day etc!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jun-30-03, 03:41
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks for the advice guys, I'm off to study Becca's journal for some tips!!

I have been meaning to start a journal, I have a hard copy which I scribble in so I may transfer it across to here when I get a chance, I would love to get your advice & feedback.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jun-30-03, 04:12
CAD for life

Plan: Atkins/CAD
Stats: 193/163.5/125 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 43%
Default Hey ya Polly

I am with you...when I first strted CAD I was planning and scheming of what all I would eat and I would eat way more than I needed to be satified and I am kinda a big eater too.

Now I try to limit real sugar to ocasional/rare use and my RM have been more balenced...I also try to make sure I eat things I really like at RM

I have fruit at RM a couple times a week I just try to limit the amount like a half and apple half cup cantalope

You know I still CAD...meaning nothing is forbidden at RM if I really want it....I just have to try and balence it and know that if I eat donuts at RM more than rarely I will pay the price of slower/no weight loss/gain....But this still conforts me...I like that if I have to have it I can....special ocassions come up i can deal with them and there's no more "you can never have that agin."

So even though I have to watch it a little more than soem people I enjoy CAD very much and feel better and in more control and much more set for this as a lifetime plan
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-03, 03:42
Registered Member

BF:
Thumbs up Great journal Becca

Hi Becca,
I took a peak in your journal & got some great tips !! I feel a lot better now that I can see some of your RMs which are obviously still feast but without the desserts everyday. I am going to follow Zuleikaa's advice & only indulge my sweet tooth on weekends & or special occasions.
I enjoy a small handful of dried fruit, & so far I haven't given that up on RMs so hopefully I won't stall because of it.
Also, Zuleikaa mentioned that if I am staying off that sugar that AS desserts should be ok... have you found this as well?? ...I am particularly fond of the AS jelly (my weakness!!) but obviously it is not worth it if I start to stall.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-03, 09:15
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Save your AS for RM, desserts or otherwise and you should be fine.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Aug-23-03, 13:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 297/264.5/180 Female 5'8
BF:3rd/attempt/toLC
Progress: 28%

Very interesting post...something that I was wondering about... most often my RM includes a ROSS No sugar added chocolate bar or sugar free jelly beans... but it does seem kind of a rip-off when I could be indulging in real sugar...but I think it is better for me??

any advice on that?

Sometimes I also find myself eating "Atkins-type" receipes for my dinner....exmple Deep Dish Pizza Quiche and BAcon cheeseburger cassirole

do you think it is better to eat those types of RM's instead of full out regualr food?

Kinda a silly question but if you have any ideas that would be great!
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Aug-23-03, 18:16

Plan: CAD + South Beach Diet
Stats: 230/177/160
BF:
Progress: 76%

real food is always better.....fruits veggies etc

real sugar i think on occasion......i find it impossible to sweeten with sugar after i've been on atkins.....but i eat regular icecream and other sugary desserts with no second thoughts.....soda is a waste of carbs
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Aug-23-03, 20:35
Finding the Pieces

BF:

I think real sugar is better in moderation. The other recipes are fine but try to make them a little lighter fat. Generally soda is a waste of carbs. Rarely do I drink soda. Even when I mean to have some I usually forget. I do like soda with Mexican though.

Last edited by Zuleikaa : Sat, Aug-23-03 at 20:37.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 07:28
CAD for life

Plan: Atkins/CAD
Stats: 193/163.5/125 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 43%

well for me personally...I usually eat the sugar free items even though i could have the regular sugar sweetened items and for my own personal makeup that seems to be better for me.

just recently was overdoing it at RM's because i had tooo much sugar and then was wanting it at each RM and too much too

As for Atkins syle meals I low carb my RM's a bit when I am feeling out of control a bit and I think it helps some...but I am a carb addict and body needs some carbs so i can't do it for long. If you mean Atkins style meals at CM usually they have too much fat and calories for me when I have a RM and I won't lose or even gain eating "special low carb" recipes except at RM...

Good Luck