Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-09-05, 11:54

Plan: CAD/CALP
Stats: 213/130/130 Female 5'5.5"
BF:21.83%
Progress: 100%
Default Anyone maintaining with CAD?

Hello all!

Currently I am doing the Scarsdale diet (second go around...lost 9 pounds in the first two weeks), but I am very interested to do CAD once I get down to my goal weight.

Could any of you who are maintaining with CAD tell me how you are doing with it? Do you still stick to the diet by the book but add in more CM meals or does your body just find a comfortable, healthy weight to stay at while still doing the diet with the 2 CM and the 1 RM?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-09-05, 15:39
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

hi
welcome to this forum- I see this is your first post!

I have been on CALP for more than 2 years, and have been maintaining for 18 months. At first I continued to lose, but as my weight seemed to stabilize I also added more carbs to my RM, so it is a bit carb heavy for some but good for me. I had salad, turkey breast, spinach, a peach and a piece of corn on the cob yesterday. I also have some type of sweet as my carb a few days a week.I find that I need to continue the CALP plan, as I am doing this to control insulin resistance as my goal, and stay healthy. So I have 2 clean CMs and the mostly balanced RM within the 60 minutes, and no RM food outside RM. feels pretty normal for me.
E
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-09-05, 18:32

Hi Eno!

Thank you so much for the welcome and for your answer. Congratulations on you success with this woe and on keeping your weight off for such a long time. That is just wonderful!

You have given me hope that this will work for me, too. I do have a bad sweet tooth, although low carbing really does curb it for me. It would be nice to have a little something sweet with my reward meals each night. I know you say you only do this a few times a week, but do you think one could maintain their weight having a small portion of something sweet (say a small candy bar or a couple scoops of icecream) every night with their reward meal? Just knowing I would be able to have a sweet a day, I promise to control myself.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-09-05, 20:12
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

Don't have an answer for you- you'll have to figure that out for yourself. I usually prefer some cereal, grain, fruit or a carby vegie instead of a sweet, but I can be flexible. Remember- it is the only carb for the day. If you have a sweet tooth you'll see how it works for you.
E
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-09-05, 22:17

Will do, Eno, and thanks again!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Aug-10-05, 08:25

Plan: Plant-based
Stats: 200/168/140 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 53%

Hi Sandooch!

I still want to lose but I seem to be maintaining when I have a sweet at my RM almost every night. I have to balance more and limit the sweets to once a week like Eno to actually lose. But honestly I am thrilled to be maintaining in the upper 150's because orginally I was 193, so this feels great and I love the insulin being under control, that's a big plus for me. I always have 2 CMs and then my RM w/in 60 mins.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Aug-10-05, 12:01

Hi there, Jill!

Thank you for posting and congratulations on the weight you've already lost and for maintaining it. I'm happy to know that I can maintain and have a sweet goody every night. I'm down another pound with Scarsdale, so it won't be long until I can join you all here doing CAD.

Excuse my ignorance, but a see you and Eno have posted about keeping your insulin down. Is this for diabetic reasons or for weight loss reasons? Just wondering!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Aug-10-05, 12:31

Plan: Plant-based
Stats: 200/168/140 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 53%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandooch
Excuse my ignorance, but a see you and Eno have posted about keeping your insulin down. Is this for diabetic reasons or for weight loss reasons? Just wondering!

With me its for weight loss reasons because CAD/CALP is all about controlling your hunger/cravings and when I eat carbs all the time it makes my insulin go crazy. I am a Carb Addict, so I am very sensitive to insulin (but I am not diabetic!) , so that's why I mentioned it. That's also why I only eat the 3 meals a day, b/c every time you eat your body naturally releases insulin at the start of the meal, so if I ate 4-6 times a day I would actually be hungier. That's one of the things I love about CAD, that I am hardly ever hungry, atleast not that overwhelming sense of hunger where your stomach growls and you feel empty. I never feel empty b/c my insulin is in check. Its a wonderful feeling.

Last edited by momto4boys : Wed, Aug-10-05 at 12:38.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Aug-10-05, 15:26

Thanks for explaining that to me, Jill! Keeping your insulin under control sounds a lot like the Mastering Leptin plan. Have you read that book? Most of it is a snore , but the things I did get out of it were facinating! He explained how when you space just 3 meals a day about 5-6 hours apart, it gives your insulin a chance to come down and your body will start burning fat and it keeps your cravings at bay (like you had mentioned). He went on to say how eating 5-6 meals a day is what gives you the carb cravings and spikes up your insulin. There is even a chapter in this book about how eating just 3 meals a day will help you not gain weight during menopause, especially in the tummy area.

It's pretty good reading if you or anyone else is interested in it. He does tend to get a little technical in a lot of chapters; that's why I mentioned it was sometimes a snore to read but, for the most part, it's pretty good.