Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-04-04, 15:54
Registered Member

Plan: Lean for Life
Stats: 155/146/135 Female 5'3.5"
BF:25%
Progress: 45%
Default Any Lean for Lifers here?

Just wondering if anyone here is doing Lean for Life plan? It is moderate carbs (50-80). I had been on Atkins for 5 years and was either the same weight (155) or higher than when I started (all the while not cheating, exercising daily, etc...). I even tried the Fat Flush plan (lost a lb or 2 over a 6 week period). I tried the Atkins '72 version to no avail. Finally at 157+ lbs in March, I decided to try the Lean for Life plan..... I've so far lost 11 lbs which is a huge deal for me.

Carol
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jun-05-04, 15:45

Plan: LC/HF/MP
Stats: 248/220/180 Female 67in
BF:
Progress: 41%

Whay exactly is Lean for life? Is it a new book? I really am interested. Vonnie
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jun-06-04, 05:32
Registered Member

Default Lfl

Tbagram--- Lean for Life is a program from the Lindora Weight loss clinic in CA. I believe they've been around for at least 16 years. I usually post on the Lowcarbfriends.com board, and a bunch of us have been doing this program for a couple of months with tremendous success. Anyway, here is a link to their site for program information etc... there is a forum there too --lots of good info. There is a book out there, but I have not read it yet.

Hope this helps.
Carol
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jun-06-04, 07:01

Plan: LC/HF/MP
Stats: 248/220/180 Female 67in
BF:
Progress: 41%

Thanks for the lead. It looks like low carb/low calorie. I think I'm going to give it a try. In fact more than a try because this is the way I should be eating and I know that in my heart. This last week I have upped my fats but in the back of my mind I knew this was the wong direction to take. Thanks again. Vonnie
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jun-06-04, 08:28
Registered Member

Vonnie- Believe me when I say I tried everything over the last 5 years (predominantly Atkins), however, I did the Fat Fast (Atkins answer to the Metabolically resistant)--it didn't work.
Tried Lousie Gittleman's 'Fat Flush' program (did lose a couple of inches over the 6 weeks but only a lb or two). Tried, Diana Schwarzbein's plan (loved her book)--I GAINED 5 lbs immediately on that one. I even tried a few of those 'Woman's World' "wonder" diets! LOL to no avail....

Everyone kept telling me that I needed to 1. up my fats, (I did),
2. 'eat more' (well I tried both more and less), and of course nothing worked.

This is why I am so amazed at the success I've had so far on this LFL plan. I said to a few 'board' friends all along that I really thought that maybe my age and Hashimoto's thyroid (hypo thyroid), was slowing down my metabolism and not allowing me to process fats the way most folks do.

If you have any questions about the plan (which I know initally appears to be very confusing--its really not), please let me know.

Carol

Last edited by Kristine : Sun, Sep-12-04 at 14:57.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jun-08-04, 18:17

Plan: atkins
Stats: 180/140/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:

hey congrats carol on the 11 lbs,
I also post on the lowcarbfriends, but i have never under LFL.
I just started it last week, and so far I have lost 7 lbs.
I have been for the longest time playing with the same 1 to 3 lbs..
The only thing I can say is when I reach goal I believe i will go back to atkins because i enjoy the WOE of Atkins.
LFL definetely jump started my weight loss again.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jun-13-04, 14:54
Registered Member

'd'- nice to see you here. I didn't even know you had posted on this thread (for some reason I didn't get a notifier this time). Anyway, CONGRATULATIONS on those lbs lost! I actually have come to enjoy this LFL plan. I think my problem with Atkins was that my body maybe doesn't process fats all that well (maybe because of my lowthryoid--slow metabolism)--who knows... But, I am just thrilled to have finally lost 12 lbs.

Carol
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jun-16-04, 10:11
Thank You Dr. Atkins

Plan: Atkinsmyway/Carb Cycling
Stats: 185/135/135 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:yes
Progress: 100%

Thanks for all your help oowwoo!

I purchased the Lean for Life book at Borders this morning. I'll begin serious reading here shortly. I joined the other board, but my membership has not been activated yet, so I can't post yet, but I had a question.

I've been doing Atkins religiously since the end of January, I've lost 19 pounds. LFL looks very much like other diets I've been on in the past where I have done very well with quick weight loss. However, since I've been Atkinsing so strictly for so long, do you think a three day prep is enough? Should I do the two week metabolic adjustment? My metabolism is probably pretty slow now after doing Atkins for so long. I'll post this question on the LFL section of lowcarbfriends as soon as I am allowed so I can get more feedback from experienced LFLers, but was interested in your thoughts. Thanks.

Also - can I call nurse Debbie without joining one of the programs? If so, how? I could ask her this question.

Thanks again.

Anita
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jun-16-04, 11:25
Registered Member

Anita- Here is Nurse Debbie's response to my question (about not being able to lose and my SLOW metabolism...
She actually did recommend the 2 week MA (metabolic adjustment), BEFORE I started the program. Guess what? It worked!
Here is her actual response:

"Date Posted: Mar/04/2004 6:54 AM

Hi- I'm the 'mystery patient'! Carolyn has been seeking info due to my extreme wt. loss resistance. I don't know if this matters, but I am also a Hashimoto's (low thyroid-autoimmune 'style')....On Levoxyl and Cytomel.
I've been on Atkins (and tried Fat Flush too), for 5 years. Started at 155 lbs (age 53, 5'3.5"), and actually am now 157! I did lose a few inches. However, even with Atkins Fat Fast, I lose only a lb or 2 at best, only to regain when adding a small amt of veggies back in.
With LFL (started last Saturday the 28th), I am doing it 'clean' (as I did Atkins)-- I am always counting the cals and carbs. In fact, I do not even use bars, shakes or any processed foods at all. I even roast my own chicken/turkey--am afraid to use cold cuts. I just wanted to let you know that I am taking in no more than 20-25 carbs/day at the very most --in fact, I would say on the protein days I am closer to 15-17.

Thank you for your help!
Carol

Reply Top Bottom Next Previous

Debbie_Riley
Date Posted: Mar/05/2004 9:07 PM

Part of the reason you may be experiencing difficulty losing weight could be due to the fact that you're eating so few carbohydrates on Weight Loss Menu Days. I recommend that you consume at least 50g a day while correctly following the Menu Plan and food selection lists in the 'Lean for Life Phase One: Weight Loss' book.

(By the way, it's difficult for many people to lose weight on a high fat, very low carbohydrate diet such as Atkins, especially for those who have a slower metabolism.)

Throughout the years at Lindora, I've encountered people who experienced a lot of difficulty losing weight after prolonged periods of "dieting". In those cases, I've had great success in recommending they complete two weeks of Metabolic Adjustment before starting Weight Loss. This helps raise the metabolism without a weight gain so they can achieve a better rate of weight loss. It's worked extremely well for the people I've recommended do it and may be something you'd benefit from trying."

By the way, this question was answere on the forum on the Lean for Life site. There are some really good questions on there...

Carol
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jun-16-04, 11:32
Thank You Dr. Atkins

Plan: Atkinsmyway/Carb Cycling
Stats: 185/135/135 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:yes

Thanks Carol. That's the answer I expected. I'm still considering and researching possibilities, but I do think it might be time to move on from Atkins to a different but still low carb plan. I know low carb is right for me, but not sure the Atkins approach is the way to go.

Thanks again.

Anita
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jun-27-04, 19:12
Registered Member

Paula- you certainly could begin with that list. On the list I have, there is also the metabolic adustment (MA) menu- that is done after approx. 1 month of the Wloss regimen. The MA is used to get your metabolism adjusted and also help you with the next 'round' of weight loss.

I will give you the LFL site too:

http://www.leanforlife.com/fusetalk...ie=Yes&catid=32

Lots of great information there. You can ask Nurse Debbie a question and she will answer.

If you have any questions, just ask...

Carol
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Sep-12-04, 14:53
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:

Hi folks. As per the forum rules, we don't permit the posting of email addresses, nor soliciting that others do it. This helps keep address-harvesting by spammers to a minimum. Carol, you're more than welcome to post any materials here that you'd like to share - *if* it's not a violation of copyright.

We want everyone to find the plan that's right for them, so if you're interested in Lean for Life, check out their website.

Thanks for understanding.

Last edited by Kristine : Sun, Sep-12-04 at 14:59.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Sep-12-04, 22:33
Registered Member

Plan: personal low carb
Stats: 224/186/150 Female 65 inches
BF:28%/28%/23%
Progress: 51%
Thumbs up

OK, I just discovered this plan from an article in First. I'm wary of their "diet of the week" nonsense, but I have been stalled for over a month, so I'm desperate enough to try it. Right now I'm finishing up my first "protein only" day, which is kind of a PITA as far as I'm concerned, but if all else fails it's only six weeks out of my life!

Here's the info from the magazine article for anyone curious:

Diet in a Nutshell: Phase one is four weeks long. Each week is 1 protein-only day and six moderate carb days (50 - 100 carbs/day). Phase Two is two weeks long and is the metabolic adjustment period, "adds more carbs to your daily diet to help your body adjust its setpoint to your new lower weight. Cycle between the two phases until you hit your goal weight.

To start: Three protein-only days, then finish out the week with moderate carb days.

Phase One:
Breakfast: 2 proteins, 1 fruit or grain, calorie-free drink
Lunch: 1 protein, 1 veggie (plus 2 cups lettuce), 1 fruit, calorie-free drink
Dinner: 1 protein, 1 veggie (plus 2 cups lettuce), 1 fruit, calorie-free drink
Snacks: 3 one-serving protein snacks

Phase Two:
Breakfast: 2 proteins, 1 1/2 fruit or grain, 1 drink
Lunch: 2 proteins, 1 vegetable (plus unlimited lettuce), 1 fruit, 1 grain, 1 drink
Dinner: 2 proteins, 1 vegetable (plus unlimited lettuce), 1 fruit, 1 grain, 1 drink
Snacks: 3 single-serving protein snacks.
You also continue with 1 protein-only day during Phase Two.

Proteins: One serving equals: 1 egg or 2 egg whites, 2 oz fat-free cheese, 4 oz low-fat cottage cheese, 1 c milk, 1/2 c yoghurt, 3.5 oz chicken or turkey, 2.5 oz lean cold cuts, 3.5 oz ground beef, 6 oz tofu, 2.5 oz canned tuna, 3.5 oz lobster, salmon, scallops, sea bass, or shrimp
Grains: One serving equals: 3/4 c Cheerios, Chex, Crispix, Grape-Nuts, Nutri-Grain, Puffed Kashi, Life, Post Bran Flakes, Rice Krispies, Shredded Wheat, Special K, Total, or Wheaties; 1 slice whole grain bread
Vegetables: One serving equals: 1 c asparagus, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, celery, collard greens, cucumbers, string beans, cooked spinach or sauerkraut, 1/2 c carrots or onion, 1 small pepper or tomato
Fruits: One serving equals: 1/2 c applesauce, sliced mango, sliced nectarine, cubed papaya, cubed pineapple, or cubed watermelon; 2 medium apricots, 1/2 small banana or grapefruit, 2/3 c blackberries, raspberries, boysenberries, or blueberries, 1/4 canteloupe, 1 small apple, orange, or peach, 1 c strawberries or rhubarb, 10 cherries, 2 dates
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Sep-17-04, 18:40

Plan: Gonna try Lean 4 Life
Stats: 255/255/160 Female 5'06"
BF:
Progress:
Default Any hardships on Lean 4 Life yet?

I'm starting the program tomorrow and just found this message board today after reading First Magazine. For those of you who have been on this for awhile, have you had any problems sticking to it (like hunger), etc. I've been on Atkin's before and this seems less restrictive.

Thanks

Kita
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Oct-26-04, 17:29

Plan: My Own
Stats: 248.5/228.4/150 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 20%

I have been on Atkins for two years and needed to do something different as I was eating things that I should not. This is my third week on LFL. The first week I lost 5 pounds, last week I lost 2.5. It feels good to be on the losing end again. I get to eat some fruit everyday, milk and some yogurt. I have found this to be very easy to do. My friend convinced me to try this as she has up to today lost 50 pounds, I am not sure how long she has been on it.

Linda