Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-03, 17:01
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Some of the information came out in CALP, the book after CAD. The information about the diet soda is there. You don't have to limit the black coffee if you drink it without sweetener. If you drink it with sweetener, you are limited to one outside your RM and it has to be drunk within 15 minutes.

The balance thing of going back for more of everything is in both CALP and the new edition CAD.

You shouldn't eat more than 2 oz. of cheese at CM is in CAD on page 114 and in CALP.

Why don't you print out the cheat sheet and stall list and post them where needed and easily referenced. I'm sure they'll help get you back on the right track.

Good luck!!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 11:44

Plan: Shangri-La Diet
Stats: 316/217.5/154 Female 67"
BF:60/36/24
Progress: 61%

I am new on this board, but not to CALP. I was wondering where this list at the top of the thread came from? Is it from one of the Heller's books or is it something more derived from personal experience? Or a combination of the two? I was wondering. I have looked in the CALP book and have not found restrictions of allowed foods, as long as normal portions are eaten (ie 4 g of carbs per CM)(#7 on the list). I think that restriction may have been in the CAD book. The Heller's say: (on page 118 of CALP) "the size and proportions of your Craving-Reducing meals are up to you" They do advise to keep to normal proportions and eat more if still hungry. This applies for the allowed proteins and allowed veggies. Dairy, vegetarian, and some condiiments have restrictions in quantity.

They also say in Chpt 4 that the resriction of fats should be determined by a person's dr.

Also, on page 118, the Heller's say a person is free to have a CM snack, I don't see a restriction on number of CM-type meals (re: #1 on the list).

I was just wondering about this.
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 08:29
Contributing Member

Plan: Protein Power (loosly)
Stats: 165/158/158 Female 5'8"
BF:I don't know
Progress: 100%

I really enjoy bouncing around and reading all the posts. I am new to this and trying to learn all I can. My problem with this is that people use initials and symbols to represent so many things as if everyone is familiar with these meanings, which I am not. When typing a long post, why is it necessary to use CM or other representations that are totally meaningless to some of us? I run accross so many of these that I lose interest and just sign off. Sorry if I sound bitchy, but I needed to get this off my chest.
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 18:12

Plan: Shangri-La Diet
Stats: 316/217.5/154 Female 67"
BF:60/36/24
Progress: 61%

Joyce

A CM is the complementary meal. It is the LC veggie and protein meal.

A RM is the Reward Meal. It is the LC veggie, protein and carb meal.

AS is artificial sweeteners.

LC is low-carb.

CAD is carbohydrate addicts diet
CALP is a newer form taken from Carohydrate Addict's Lifespan Program.

I don't know what other abbreviations you don't understand.
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 18:28
Contributing Member

Thank you Ilse, it was nice of you to take the time to explain for me. Thanks again
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 19:58
Finding the Pieces

BF:

There's a list of abbreviations at Low Carb Tibs in the header at the top of the page.

When you're posting a lot or talking to an audience that's familiar with the lingo it's easier to use the abbreviations. When I know someone is unfamiliar I usually give the definitions for the abbreviations.
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-03, 07:39
Contributing Member

Thanks Zu, I am learning so much since in started here, I am really enjoying my visits here and posting replies. Thanks again. Joyce
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 03:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/180/150 Female 5'7"
BF:?
Progress: 25%

Good info....thanks!

Last edited by Sveinne : Sun, Aug-03-03 at 03:54.
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 20:53

Plan: Carbohydrate Addicts Lifespan Plan
Stats: 174/171/135
BF:
Progress: 8%
Default stalls

There is one on the stall list I have a question about. From everything I have read green peppers are on the craving reducing list and not considered a stall or reason for weight gain.
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Aug-09-03, 06:04
Finding the Pieces

BF:

It's an individual thing. Some people react with intense cravings to peppers, especially the red, orange and yellow ones.
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Aug-16-03, 20:54
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/CAD
Stats: 330/276/150 Female 5' 1/2
BF:WAY TOO MUCH!!!
Progress: 30%

I've been skipping around and reading a lot of the CAD/CALP journals some of you here have and in a few of the threads too and have just about decided to go to the CALP after seeing so many of your successes. I was on a similar version of it in early July before starting Atkins in mid July...I lost more noticably on it maybe because you lose more at the start but I was more satisfied on it too and feel I've got to make a change. I've really had a bad 2 days wanting things I can't have and being extra nervous/moody. What do all of you think? Should I stick it out on Atkins or change? I have not read my copy of CALP lately but I can get back into it easily(I also have copies of Protien Power, Curves, Neanderthin, Atkins'NDR&Atkins'FL & also Eat More&Weigh Less books...all LC). I chose to change to Atkins because a friend was going to be doing it too but she hasn't started yet and may never do anything. I gained 2 lbs eating nothing extra in the last 5 days and can't understand it either. I am very LC motivated and do not cheat, if anything I'm too hard on myself and have cut carbs to way under 20 almost the whole time too. Twice I had 23carbs... and 3 days I did the moderate fat fast last week. I drink all my water + every day,no colas,shakes...nada. Yet my weight loss stayed the same rate really till this week...now I'm gaining! I started walking/exercising 3 weeks ago and have done more each week. I had cancer almost 6 yrs ago now and all my female organs are gone so there is no TOM to visit either in case that thought came to mind. I know there are stalls but just feel that I'm going to loose my motivation if I go backwards instead of forwards right now. Please help me decide.
Needing input, Pat
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Aug-17-03, 06:44
Contributing Member

Sngbrd, I can understand your frustration because you are doing a wonderful job at eating correctly. I am wondering if the increase in exercise is not affecting your weight loss. If you are building muscle you may still be losing fat but that won't show on the scale as weight loss. Just a thought, please don't get discouraged, get mad, use that energy to exercise more. As for changing diets, I don't know what to say. I don't follow any one strictly, I kind of mix things up. Have faith that you will reach your goals, but maybe not in the time frame you desire.
  #28   ^
Old Sun, Aug-17-03, 06:58
Finding the Pieces

BF:

It could be that you're building muscle. It could be that Atkins doesn't suit you. The story you're relating is familiar to many CAD/CALPers. Take the test and see what your results are. You need to find a program that suits you and you can stick with for life. These are not meant to be short term fixes but life long programs.

Good luck.
  #29   ^
Old Sun, Aug-17-03, 07:11
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Kokle
Sorry I missed your questions way back somehow. I always think that CAD/CALP books should be read together. There is a lot of information that is in one and not in the other. CAD explains the chemistry and the diet plan very well, while CAD skims the diet plan and goes into fine tuning.

The restrictions on the number of times you can eat a day is in CAD on page 109, the serving sizes are on page 112, restriction of fat is on page 206.

The others on the list are a combination of CAD, CALP and personal experience.
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 11:36
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/CAD
Stats: 330/276/150 Female 5' 1/2
BF:WAY TOO MUCH!!!
Progress: 30%

Thanks for the input. I'm still not sure which way I'll go. I am still at that same 4 pound gain but seem to be stabilized at it now at least.
Are you refering to the original CAD book or a revised newer edition? I only have the CALP book so I will look for the CAD tomorrow at Wal-Marts when I go since you suggest having both.
Pat