Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-08, 12:18
Dazed and Confused

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/132/135 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 109%

I'm waiting for my zero carb bread to arrive and I'm going to have a grilled cheese sandwich.

Yes, I suspect your BGs are better than hers.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-08, 12:34

Plan: south beach
Stats: 225/170/165 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

Zero carb bread?Grilled cheese sandwich?
<drool>
Eddie
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-08, 13:21
Dazed and Confused

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiemcm
Zero carb bread?Grilled cheese sandwich?
<drool>
Eddie

Bread:

http://www.controlledcarbgourmet.co...&cat=294&page=1
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-08, 19:50

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcarbUgh

You'll have to let us know how that bread affects your blood sugars. I'm a bit skeptical that it's really 'zero' carbs because the numbers don't add up and many of the ingredients are not 'zero' carb.

The product lists at 60 calories per serving.
It has 6 grams of protein. At rougly 4 calories per gram, that accounts for 24 calories.
It has 1 gram of fat. At roughly 9 calories per gram, now we have 33 calories. That leaves roughly 27 calories unaccounted for which is the 7 grams of carbohydrate at roughly 4 calories per gram.
Fiber is normally not counted in the calorie count because we don't digest it.

Based on the numbers, it's more likely that the product has 14 grams of carb, 7 of which are fiber.
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-08, 19:53
Dazed and Confused

BF:

I'll keep you posted, Lisa. If it has hidden carbs, my BG will let me know.
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-08, 07:46

Plan: Dr. Bernstein (modified )
Stats: 298/205/199 Male 5 foot 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

Well I am L/cing but I like my bread too.

I use light bread or low carb bread. I am happy with a sandwich that uses only one light slice of bread. I have found that the 7-9g of carbs has little to no effect on my BG since I am using levemir and novolog. The theory of small numbers works. I need a very small dose of Novolog (small for me! not Dr. Bernstein) and most often I can skip the Novolog if my BG is already in the 75-90 range and the Levemir takes care of everything else.

If I go higher carbs on any meal (higher for me generally is 30g - 50g in any one meal ) I use Novolog to counter the carbs and keep my peaks below 120. I do my darndest to have my IF BG down in the 75-90 range.

But I always come back to L/cing and keeping my daily carbs between 30-60.

I typically will go 18-18-18 on the high side or 9-9-18 when I stay on the low side of my carb range. Small numbers works since I use a lot less Novolog when I am L/cing and also get a walk or two in during the day.

But I like my bread.

Ralph
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-08, 07:55
Dazed and Confused

BF:

The thing that has happened with me over time is that I became grossed out when trying to eat bare meat. I'd rather not eat anything at all than a piece of chicken. I was never a big meat eater to begin with and having my meat on something like a sandwich would probably help a lot. Even if the stuff has 7 real carbs, I can adjust for that small amount.

The big "D" is so much fun...
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-08, 08:56
Registered Member

Plan: Berstein's
Stats: 220/189/155 Male 68"
BF:
Progress: 48%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korban
I primarily followed the AHA diet - low fat, etc as I thought my biggest problem was my heart...
Which reminds me... anyone want a free AHA Cookbook?... if I haven''t already thrown it away.

/smile

P.S. I found 2 - Choices for a Healthy Heart and the AHA Cookbook, 5th Edition - They are NOT LC, btw...

Last edited by Korban : Tue, Jun-10-08 at 09:12.
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-08, 11:00

Plan: generalized low carb
Stats: 205/180/185 Male 67
BF:31%/14?%/12%
Progress: 125%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancinbr
Well I am L/cing but I like my bread too.

I use light bread or low carb bread. I am happy with a sandwich that uses only one light slice of bread. I have found that the 7-9g of carbs has little to no effect on my BG since I am using levemir and novolog. The theory of small numbers works. I need a very small dose of Novolog (small for me! not Dr. Bernstein) and most often I can skip the Novolog if my BG is already in the 75-90 range and the Levemir takes care of everything else.

If I go higher carbs on any meal (higher for me generally is 30g - 50g in any one meal ) I use Novolog to counter the carbs and keep my peaks below 120. I do my darndest to have my IF BG down in the 75-90 range.

But I always come back to L/cing and keeping my daily carbs between 30-60.

I typically will go 18-18-18 on the high side or 9-9-18 when I stay on the low side of my carb range. Small numbers works since I use a lot less Novolog when I am L/cing and also get a walk or two in during the day.

But I like my bread.

Ralph

You have got yourself where I want to be. Congratulations. I figure another few months and I will have been on insulin for a year. It would have been much easier if my doctor really accepted my goals, which are the same as yours.
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-08, 11:06
Dazed and Confused

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korban
Which reminds me... anyone want a free AHA Cookbook?... if I haven''t already thrown it away.

/smile

P.S. I found 2 - Choices for a Healthy Heart and the AHA Cookbook, 5th Edition - They are NOT LC, btw...

No, thanks, I have 4 or 5 diabetes cookbooks. I have managed to adapt some of the recipes for LC.
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-08, 09:40

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 190/169/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charran
I think that it's very true that most diabetics aren't motivated to change. The pill route just seems easy and convienient to them. My doctor is constantly amazed by my motivation to achieve better BG and stay away from medications. However, he is the first to say that I"m probably in the 1% category of his patients who are. He always tells me that he wishes more patients were like me!

But if more patients were like you, he might not have as many patients.

I have a family history of diabetes and a personal history of gestational diabetes. It's very likely I'd end up with Type II myself if I were eating the SAD or a "healthy low fat AHA" diet. Even before I started LC, I looked up the "recomended diet for diabetics" and started following that, and taking cinnamon daily, because I knew I was headed for that point.

I wonder if most of the people who are able to stay motivated enough to control diabetes with diet alone, and want to avoid meds, are the same people who manage to avoid a diabetes diagnosis in the first place (either by eating well enough to never develop it, or to keep it diet controlled and the dr never things to order a GTT.)