Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-23-06, 17:04

Plan: LC
Stats: 200/000/000 Female 5.5
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default ...passover...anyone?

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Mar-24-06, 14:50

BF:

............am not going to give up on the Matza on the Seder..........
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Mar-24-06, 16:40

Plan: Four Corners
Stats: 205/202/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default my first passover low carbing

Hi picaboo! I recognize you from Dr. B's forum. This is the first time I'm trying to do Pesach with Dr. B, or any low carb diet for that matter. Have you done it before?

I can easily skip the matzah, but i've always eaten real horseradish root, alone and with charoset. None of that for me either. I hope I can hold out.

I think i will have to eat earlier in order to survive the seder. meat and pickles, meat and pickles. Hopefully I can get some broccoli and asparagus. Can't think of anything else to eat at the seder.

I did buy some sweet n low packets, which i normally wouldn't touch during the year, but i figure i can include the gram-per-packet into the count for coffee and tea.

Do you have any experience or ideas for surviving all of Pesach?
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Mar-25-06, 14:40
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 194/000/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Not sure
Progress: 441%

I doubt that a small amount of some passover specials will kill us, even if you eat Matzo, just one, not the whole package. You can also make horseradish without beets, just vinegar and and may be some cream cheese or sourcream. After all it's only once a year.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Mar-25-06, 16:59

BF:

Happy to see ya Ziva and Dina you are right.

....dear dear.....I must admit its such a tuffy for me....I know many that dont care about food in Seder but, I love everything - everything in this night at the table....and been doing LC for some years ,I know - I cannot be "a good girl"....trying......as Dina said:...not to eat the all matza's box :-) but, still.....
....I spoke with my Dr....bagged him for a mircal pill ;-)...he said: " none for you !"... he think nothing will happen if its only one night "......oh well...:-) :-(......BUT.........
........I got what I wanted....lol...
Metformin tab 500mg and Glipizide tab 10mg.
A friend of mine told me...that if I dont use Metformin everyday it'll be stupid to take it for one night.........?........becouse it takes like 3 days to influnce and I dont know about Glipizide - only that I wish it will do what he needs to do well for this night..?...?...?......
I will be happy to hear your's advise here.
This Dr. of mine let me do what ever I think is best for me...:-)...he is happy with my BS and see that I am in control and sometime i very much inform :-)))...last time he told me..."see ya about a year" :-))))).....he think he is dealing with such an intelegent woman......lol.lol.lol.lol......
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Mar-25-06, 22:03
Registered Member

Here is my 2 cents:don't expect Meformin to work magic, it takes about a week to see the results if any... and there were none for me. Glipizide - I won't even touch it. I will just eat a bit of the least carby food and drink some alcohol with it, and this usually curbs the spike. There is also starch blockers, like Precose (you need Rx) and also apple cider vinegar, if you drink 1-2 tbs with a glass of water before the meal and sip it during the dinner. Acetic acid blocks carb absorbtion. Charosset is not a bad food at all, if you replace sugar with splenda, and macarons can be also made lc style. The only problem is matza but then you can buy whole wheat and eat just one. There are special ocations when cheating is legal, can't be saint all the time. Your doctor is right! Nothing will happen!
But if you are still concerned here is the link to a lc recipes for Passover.
http://www.gourmania.com/articles/lowcarbpassover.htm

Last edited by dina1957 : Sat, Mar-25-06 at 22:14.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Mar-26-06, 07:57

BF:

.......you are SO sweet Dina......really thank you So much.

- I think, (I know):-)....I will take your's advice (also my friend's one).....I wont touch any of them !!!.....and t'foo-t'foo-t'foo....let it be that way all my life and yours too ...:-)))

- Dont know about Precose ?....?...?...(will google after)....
- About vingegar....stupid me!!!...I -totally- forgot about it !!! (oh well, time of age):-) last time, it worked wonder on me...(after 2H from eating,only)

- ......"can't be saint all the time".....lol....and behind food I hope ...lol..lol..lol...............(just-just kidding)......

- Dont like - wohle wheat....if...and....-only white- (sorry):-)))

- Most of our desserts are usally LC - so no much problem at this department........just the matza and everthing made of matza- like kendalch with chicken soup - yammmmmmm:-)))....but I will do good....................I love to comlpain and share it with you...lol..lol..lol..

- That is a nice artical - thanks much!!!

Well....
So, what left for me is just to wish us all - happy passover - and a great dinner time.
.............and let me know how was it for you too............:-))))))))))))))

Last edited by picaboo : Sun, Mar-26-06 at 08:37.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Mar-26-06, 15:12
Registered Member

You are welcome and happy Passover to you too. But even with white matza you will be fine, as long as you won't it alone but with something containing fat and protein, like chopped liver . Even chicken soup with matza balls (just one!) are made with eggs and fat, so overall GI will be lower.
Good luck and enjoy your passover, no need to stress about BGs too much.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Mar-26-06, 22:57

BF:

........wow.......good idea - chopped liver! (forgot about that).........can...can I adopt you? .....lol...lol...lol...lol....