Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Feb-19-03, 23:56

Plan: here and there since 11/02
Stats: 233/?/140 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 24%

Wow Belle,

Thanks!

M-
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Feb-20-03, 07:09

Plan: CKD
Stats: 162/?/? Female 5'6
BF:16
Progress: 0%

I work at a women's fitness facility that is very much like Curves. I believe the main difference is we have equipment where you can adjust the resistance.
It's an unintimidating environment. We see women of all shapes, sizes and ages. Many women admit to coming in merely to socialize with the other members. It's a great workout for women who've never exercised before or simply hate to exercise. The time really flies by when you're in the middle of a good conversation.
For many women, this is the only form of exercise they get. Others use our workout to supplement to their regular fitness routines. You are in control of the intensity of your workouts. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who can't get motivated or doesn't like working out alone. Many facilities offer a free week trial, where you can try it out and see if it's something you think you'd like.
The encouragement you get from the other members and staff is well worth it.
Best of luck to you, I hope you give it a shot and enjoy the program!!

Last edited by Misty : Thu, Feb-20-03 at 07:12.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Feb-20-03, 13:13

Plan: low carb
Stats: 292.6/225.0/170
BF:
Progress: 55%

Hi ladies,

I've been mulling the idea around about joining curves. I try to get on my bike every other night but it's hard for me to commit. I'm hoping that I'll have more motivation if I go public and find a work out buddy.

Thanks for that extra push. I'll let you know the outcome.

Keep up the good work every one!
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Feb-20-03, 13:28
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 188/162/145 Female 69
BF:39%/30/26%
Progress: 60%
Smile bad back

So regarding this Curves place. . . we had one open up right down the road from me so would be very convenient. I have a bad lower back and have a stretching exercise regimen that I'm following plus I'm doing aqua therapy. Do you think they would have machines and routines that would be okay for me?

Thanks for any advice!
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Feb-20-03, 15:16

Plan: my own
Stats: 249/242/160
BF:
Progress: 8%

Yes, I think you could probably do it- depending on how bad your back is. It might even help strengthen it. They say it is as low impact as swimming. I know that at our we have people with bad backs, bad knees, and even one that only has one lung! They all do fine.
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Feb-20-03, 21:20
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 230/203/145
BF:
Progress: 32%
Talking

One month after starting Atkins, and finding a WOE I love and can stick with (finally) I knew I needed to add in exercise. I hung my swimsuit up and vowed to suit up and head on down to the pool. Well the suit never got wet. I drive by Curves every night on my way home from work. I popped in, Joined that night and have been going now for 3 weeks. I was sold on the "joint" friendly machines and low impact walking pads. My back and hips have not given me any pain and in fact I know It is strengthing my muscles that support my aching joints. I love Curves 30 min approach. I don't like to jump around in front of a bunch of men (Yet). mabie about 60 pounds from now I will. Jules
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Feb-21-03, 20:27

BF:

Ha!

Jules I will join you in 60 lbs!!! ha!

Thanks!

M-
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Feb-23-03, 09:06

Plan: LC/BFL
Stats: 160/159/145
BF:
Progress: 7%

I love the idea of Curves. I would join but it is too far for me. the closet curves is 30 miles from me. And I just can't make that trip to make it worth my while. It would take me 40 minutes to get there to do a 30 minute workout and another 40 minutes drive home. That doesnt make sense to me.

But I did wish there was a place closer. I would love to go. When we lived at our old home (we moved here over the summer) I use to go to a gym everyday...I loved it! I miss it so much. Now I am trying to workout at home. It is hard to motivate myself to workout at home.
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-03, 01:08

Stats: 258/258/160
BF:46%
Progress: 0%
Thumbs up Working at Curves

Hello Ladies !!!

Let me introduce myself... my name is Kim and I am one of the instructors at Curves in Kenosha, WI.

I am so happy to see that you enjoy working out at Curves. I recently began working there last Dec. I have already lost inches!!!!!!!!! I decided to do the Atkins diet instead of our own diet for many reasons... one of which is that Atkins has been around for so long and its easier to find information about it, I can order the right foods from this site... etc...

I too am struggling with the need to lose quite a bit of weight. I take as much of the motivation and support from our ladies at Curves as I try to give them each day that I work there.

Keep MOTIVATED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Feel free to ask me questions about Curves anytime.

Kim
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-03, 13:57

Plan: atkins
Stats: 270/189/150 Female 61
BF:
Progress: 68%
Smile i absolutely love curves because

i have never exercised much, i am 53 and have arthritis and gout in my feet so i have alot of trouble with exercise. But since starting LC my arthritis and gout have eased up and i joined curves. I started in sep 02 but didnt go regularly until jan03. I cant beleive i can do it and it does not hurt my feet! i am so happy and it feels great. You only spend a few minuets on each machine and step board so it is great!
linda
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-03, 15:18
Registered Member

Stats: 188/162/145 Female 69
BF:39%/30/26%
Progress: 60%
Exclamation I'm going to do it!

Okay, you've all convinced me. I just called our local Curves and set up an appt for tomorrow at 3:30. They were really nice and hopefully by tomorrow I will be a full fledged member! She said that they would work something out for me and my bad back and that they had a lot of other people in the same boat.

The only downside I see is that this Curves location is only open 5 days a week - Monday through Friday - but 12 hours a day. No weekends. So I'll have to either workout before or after work since my job is across town. They did say that I could get a pass to go to another location near my office because the different locations could have different hours.

Oh well, I'll figure something out! I'm excited!
Dina

#27   ^
Old Tue, Feb-25-03, 13:55

BF:

... yah.. strange hours... closed Sunday and even closed between 1 and 3?... Something about studies show people do not exercise between those hours?...

Anyway, a question;

CurvesinWI== the staff member at curves discouraged me from going more than one time a day... something about body needs to rest... and two sessions per day "nix each other out" (her words)

I am not new to exercise i understand the concepts behind the body time to rest... but I see nothing wrong with total of 1 hour a
day... ??

what if I want to do 2 sessions in a row? Can I do that?

Please advise....

thankS
M-
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Feb-28-03, 18:48

Plan: Insulin Resistance Diet
Stats: 283/162/165 Female 5ft6
BF:
Progress: 103%

I joined yesterday and went today for the first time. All I can say is that it was FANTASTIC!! I totally loved it. It didn't 'kill' me but I can definitely feel that I have worked out. It was awesome. I can't wait until Monday to go again!

I pray that I see great results!
  #29   ^
Old Sat, Mar-01-03, 09:17

Stats: 274/190/150 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 68%

Quote:
Originally posted by Miss Melis
[B

what if I want to do 2 sessions in a row? Can I do that?

Please advise....

thankS
M- [/B]

What I might suggest is just go another rep. . .at our Curves there are enough machines so one has to do two reps around the resistance machines.. .so whose gonna grouse if you do 3? I figured that was a possibility for me as I encounter weight loss resistance. redawn
  #30   ^
Old Sat, Mar-01-03, 13:23
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

Hi, someone had asked me about this in my journal and I just cut and pasted the answer below

I'm a bit spastic in my feelings about curves - on one hand I like it and on the other I don't find it very challenging.

PRO I like it because I had a lot of stiffness and some joint pain due to lack of exercise and moving in a bit of an awkward way. I had been suffering back pain (source as yet undiscovered) and was really crippled with pain for a month or two and then still had difficulty bending/getting up from sitting/even lying in bed is causing pain so I was really having a hard time to get back to exercising. My Doc. had said that I would have to experience a lot of pain in the beginning to get back on track and unfortuanately she was right.So curves is really helping me with that - the machines are hydraulic - resistance machines. Curves seems really aimed at women who are not in tip top condition, so no one feels self-concious there. There are women of all ages, shapes,sizes and of various physical abilities. It seems anyone can do these machines and one of the slogans of Curves is that anyone can do anything for 30 seconds. That is how long each exercise is performed for.

Con On the other hand, now that I am more mobile (been doing Curves for almost a month) I find that it's not really challenging enough for me. I get measured for the first time on the 6th of March so we will see what the results are. Before my back problem I had been used to doing quite an intense workout and was quite physically active - heavy gardening - furniture moving- etc on a daily basis. So this might be why I don't feel challenged but as I say I have to find out my measurements next week. Maybe I will find it does not have to hurt to be beneficial. Wouldn't that be a treat