Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-10-18, 04:25

Plan: Atkins/JUDDD
Stats: 165/147/130 Female 5.3"
BF:
Progress: 51%
Default Why do we Backslide??

Why do we start out on plan and then fall off the wagon??
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-11-18, 04:28
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Great question.

There are lots of reasons, and all of us know them. I think the main reason is a combination of (a) human nature - we are programmed to happily eat and enjoy our food, (b) a sick combination of addictive substances in our food, plus (c) "addiction" to said substances is not only socially-sanctioned, but denied by many to even be a problem. Addicts are blamed as being weak and having no discipline by those whose metabolism allows them to eat all they want, naturally limit themselves, and not gain weight. "Born at the finish line and they won the race," as the saying goes.

Think about it: if we all had to live off the land, grow our own produce, and raise our own livestock, very few people would be fat. IMO, it's the ubiquitous cheap and toxic carbage that tipped the scales over the last few generations in terms of the obesity/T2D epidemic. (Pardon the pun.)

This is why I've always said the most important part of committing to a weight loss plan is making all of the other supporting changes in your life. If you try white-knuckling it, you are very likely to fail. Most of us have done that countless times. Hey, if it didn't work the first 15,000 times, maybe you should change your strategy!

By "other supporting changes", I mean getting the people you live with on board - if not doing it with you, then at least supporting you. Change your habits at work. Change your social habits. Change your spending habits. Change how you spend your spare time - ie spend more time cooking and less time doing things that lead to mindless overeating. Learn to stand up to people and say no. NO is a complete sentence. Don't give anyone a reason or an hint that the "old" you is going to come back eventually, so they'll just be waiting for you to fail.

Some quick 6:30 am thoughts.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-11-18, 11:30

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

It is easier to keep from backsliding if you continue to journal or log what you eat and get support from family, friends, or this forum.

One thing I've found is if I binge on something horrendous, like a gallon of ice cream, instead of figuring I've gone off the diet and keep on eating (I did that for 35 yrs), I log it and vow to get back on track immediately. Within ~3 days my cravings, joint pain & headaches etc. will disappear, and averaged over a month, this excursion is negligible.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-12-18, 01:19

Plan: Atkin
Stats: 147/131/110 Female 60 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokyn
Why do we start out on plan and then fall off the wagon??

I recently purchased “End to Overeating” by David Kessler, which provides answers to your question. Best book I have ever read on why we overeat.
I have finally stopped indulging in too many nuts or eating too much cheese.😊
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-12-18, 09:19

Plan: Lower carb/Whole Foods
Stats: 172/123.6/125 Female 5'5"
BF:33%/28%
Progress: 103%

It often happens to me unexpectedly but the worst part is then getting discouraged and backsliding a lot just because of one slip up. I’m doing much better with that now, but I do consider that the real problem and not the one little misstep or even one day or two of slip ups. Lol.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-12-18, 11:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/188/185 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 95%

Giving in to social pressures is a big one for me. Another is lulling myself into a stupor after I've had some success and believing, or trying to convince myself, that now that I'm lighter and healthier I can sneak in a few junky meals here and there and not suffer for it. Here and there snowballs into way too often, and when I feel the effects I hit the reset button. Eventually I'll remember that one cheat day = at least three induction days. It's a hamster wheel.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-12-18, 12:43

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

LC eating bucks the standard fare. Too many pressures to conform, participate, polite.... which means not eating on plan.

Extended family and beyond dont see our meal plans as valid and worthwhile.

FOr me one slip up is too many. Maybe others are like this too thought I do see some can jump right back on plan. I cant.

I build a life to support LC.... avoid events, avoid certian family, etc.

I have 4 friends that dont pressure me about food choices-- so I am comfortable ordering LC.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Apr-14-18, 14:02

Plan: Atkins/JUDDD
Stats: 165/147/130 Female 5.3"
BF:
Progress: 51%

Thanks Everybody for lots of good answers/ideas!

I really appreciate you all answering me. I see myself struggling with all of the things you all mentioned. I do keep a log of what I eat every day. However, when I get on a roll slipping I give that up, stop writing it down and dive downhill. Don't know why?? It usually happens unexpectedly too - I plan to order a salad but see that the pasta & garlic bread (2 of my favs) is on special, less than the salad and I just step off the cliff and order it, vowing to only eat half of it. I stay true to that and box up the other half, but of course then finish the other half the next day ruining that day also for 'LC strictness'. It's a circle for me. I get back on track and am not a terrible big pigger outer however I go off plan WAY more than I used to therefor never getting back to goal. I rarely make it more than a week when I start a LC plan. That's like not even doing it at all so I don't make any progress. I've bee stuck a long long time. I was a runner and could kinda make up for a bad meal by extra running but now am sidelined due to foot injury & eventual surgery. I gained 15 pounds back since last Sep which was my last half marathon. Have not walked (for exercise) or run a step since then.

Again thank you all for posting and please keep feeding me any advice that you have!!
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Apr-14-18, 14:09

Plan: LC RPAH/FailSafe
Stats: 137/136/136 Female 67"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi, lokyn. I eat things which aren't on my food plan, or just too much of things which are in my food plan, when I think, at that moment, that food is the source of comfort or strength, of solace or help.

When I turn the dial inside, and listen to the thoughts which I know help me, I remember that when I keep my parameters, I feel better, look better, etc.

If I fall way off, I sometimes have to inch my way back, because of the inner process I have to go through to get from the impact of whatever stress hit me, to being happily on my plan and enjoying it.

I'm sending you smiles and good thoughts for being happily on your plan.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Apr-14-18, 18:06

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

I believe we backslide when we allow immediate gratification to supplant our long terms goals. For me mindfulness is the key, paying attention to what I am thinking and not letting my cravings get the best of me. It also helps that I consider most off plan foods as poisons for my system. It makes it easier to avoid them entirely.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Apr-14-18, 20:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/188/185 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 95%

Mindfulness. That's a good key word.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Apr-15-18, 07:15

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
I believe we backslide when we allow immediate gratification to supplant our long terms goals. For me mindfulness is the key, paying attention to what I am thinking and not letting my cravings get the best of me. It also helps that I consider most off plan foods as poisons for my system. It makes it easier to avoid them entirely.

Exactly! When I eat what/when I shouldn't, I'm always aware later that I ate without thinking. When I get a craving & think it thru - then break the thought chain by doing something active - I succeed. But it isn't easy.

I remember reading something by a once-famous psychologist (whose name escapes me) about helping a patient improve her life by making mindful decisions. When she was finally successful, she told him how good it felt. He told her that's what she had to do all the time now. She blew up & screamed, "I don't want to work that hard!"

And I think that's it - the effort is hard. It gets easier, but never to the point of being mindless or effortless.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Apr-19-18, 11:35

Plan: General lowcarb
Stats: 225/225/145 Female 5’0
BF:
Progress: 0%

Oh boy, I’m a terrible backslider!! I need to get serious and begin a new lowcarb woe that I actually stick with.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Apr-19-18, 11:46

Plan: High protein/HIIT
Stats: 234/197/174 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 62%
Default Exactly

Quote:

This resonates 100% with me. I am currently working on mindfulness and knowing that bad choices are like poison for me. Thanks for re-iterating.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Apr-19-18, 20:30

Plan: Keto
Stats: 146/110/100 Female 157 cm
BF:
Progress:

Quote:

True.

I backslide all the time.