Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Tue, May-19-09, 00:59
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 237.0/190.8/150 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%
Default I got a maybe in the past but have a appt and ?'s.

Ive NEVER been regular with my cycles. The first time I ever tried Atkins diet I not only got TOM back but I also got pregnant. Durring one of my ultrasounds he was looking at my Ovary's and said that I had a few cysts on them. He also went on to say that its normal to get one on the overy the you ovulated from but since I had a few he wanted to check them again at a later time. Durring my next ultrasound a month or so later he said that the cycts were still there and some were bigger then before and I also had a few new ones. As he was cleaning the ultrasound jelly off of my belly he notices my nice thick dark manly "happy trail" I had shaved it before I went in because its embarassing but even when I shave it you can still see thick black stubble. He asked me about my history with TOM and after I explained he said that I need to be tested for PCOS because in his opinion I could have it. They never tested me and nothing was said about it after that and I was too excited about being pregnant so it didnt really bother me at the time.

That was almost 3 years ago. Since then ive had even more things happen. I am now growing a beard, mustache and the most recent would be nipple hair! I also get hair in very stange places like beside my nose toward my eye. Its not like peach fuzz either, its thick and black! I get bad pains on the left and right side of my belly a little to often and Im not sure what it is but im thinking cycts....

As I get older my TOM gets worse and worse. Last year I had it 4 times and on one of them I bleed for 3 whole months nonstop they put me on birth controle pills and when that didnt work they tried hormones(cant remember the name) that stoped it for 2 days and it came right back. I had to cancle my insurance and had to just wait it out. I do remember them checking my thyroid and saying that it was ok. This year I have not had TOM yet!

I finally have insurance again and since Im pretty fed up with looking like a man, I made a Dr's appt. Im assuming since PCOS was a maybe with me that I should look into this first unless the Dr says otherwise.

Anyway I dont know much about PCOS except the basic symptoms and stuff. What kind of tests should I ask for? Any good questions I need to ask the Dr? If they figure out that I do have PCOS Id like to know what med's you take and if they help and does it help with all symptoms or just some.

Sorry for the long post.
Sponsored Links