Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Students & Teens
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 21:44

Plan: atkins
Stats: 171.5/163.5/155 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress:
Wink alcohol

So fellow college students...anyone, like me, having trouble with the drinking aspect of college and the atkins diet? Ive been back for 5 days and ive drank 3 of the nights. Usually ive done vodka or miller/bud lite....and i try to cut down my carbs for the day if i know im going out. But so far ive stayed at my same weight but im just wondering about u guys....btw, i am sorta a party girl, especially the first week because i dont have any real HW to do yet.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 21:46
<---The Crazy One!

Plan: Atkins
Stats: -/-/145 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 25%

Hey! I did my drinking last weekend..went overboard and ended up losing 4pounds that weekend...but I don't plan on doing it again since i felt like crap the next day. Have you been getting drunk at a faster pace?
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 23:57
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, Baby, Yea!
Stats: 317/238/199 Male 74 inches
BF:39%/31%/17%
Progress: 67%

Listen to vpeach! Still not at school but I have a bottle or Captain Morgans Rum and Bacardi Limon for the first night. Nothing like breaking the ice wit some shots of Limon! O and you do get drunk faster! I could take 15 shots now I'm down to like 10... pathetic!

I suggest not drinking any beers as the carbs count up! Just like Lays potato chips you cant have just one! Stick wit the clear spirits if possible!

Top of the morning to ya!,
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 14:18

Plan: Atkins w/ Veggies
Stats: 200/165/140 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:BMI: 34.3/29.2/24
Progress: 58%

Whenever my husband and I have a drink, we have Capt Morgan and DIET soda. Hehe, what's the point I tell ya? I just use it in moderation! Does any one know the carb count of Capt. Morgan Rum?
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Nov-17-03, 12:36

Stats: 192/187/160 Female 5' 4
BF:
Progress:
Default michelob

Has anyone tried the low carb michelob light? Just wondering how good, or awful it is.

#6   ^
Old Mon, Dec-08-03, 06:12

Stats: 221/186/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

im hvaing trouble aswell, what with just starting uni. drinking really knocks my weight loss as im usually tempted to eat something carb-full after. ive solved that by not hvaing anything easily accessable to eat when i get home at night. i stick to vodka, lime cordial and diet lemonade and it works pretty well. i just dont lose the day i drink. ah well...
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-04, 10:02
Registered Member

Stats: 125/119/105 Female 5'2
BF:28.2 - 18 - ???
Progress: 30%
Default Carb Counts For Drinks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannysMom3
Whenever my husband and I have a drink, we have Capt Morgan and DIET soda. Hehe, what's the point I tell ya? I just use it in moderation! Does any one know the carb count of Capt. Morgan Rum?

If you wanna find out the carb counts of drinks go to FitDay.com. It's under the beverages section in the food menu. Almost forgot, any liquor that's flavored like orange vodka etc...is loaded with carbs.

The bad thing about drinking is it knocks u outta ketosis. Even though the carbs are low it still all converts to sugar. Scotch whiskey has the lowest carb count I've seen so far. Plus if it's a good brand, like Chivas Regal, it has less of a hangover effect...don't know why. Just does. And the 2nd bad thing about drinking is ur' body burns alcohol before anything else. So as long as you feel the effects you're not burning fat and to top it off because it's loaded w/ calories you're going to have your weight jump up (after the dehydration, which can make the scale go down) from all the yummy intoxicating goodness.

I hate that part of dieting cause I love scotch coolers...
2oz scotch
Dash of Bitters
Lemon Lime Soda to taste (Diet Sierra Mist works well)

Last edited by RebelNymph : Fri, Jan-16-04 at 10:16.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 23:37

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 230/211/185 Male 6'3
BF:~19%
Progress: 42%

Whenever I drink out I drink Bacardi and Diet Coke. 77 calories, zero carbs. How can you beat that?
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-04, 03:23

Stats: 435/410/225 Male 5' 11''
BF:
Progress: 12%

I love the booze... I always have.

I have moderated my drinking to every 2nd weekend, but even then, I usually drink more then is good for a diet.

One good thing I have noticed is that it now takes me less booze to get drunk.

All I drink is Jack Daniels and DIET Ginger Ale, sometimes with a splash of lemon.

I know the carbs are low (good), but the body converts some of it into sugar (bad).

Just wanted to share that little tidbit with all of you.

Enjoy.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-04, 03:11

Stats: 153/142/130 Female 5 foot 7 inches
BF:24%/24%/20%
Progress: 48%

oh im so glad im not the only one...a friend of mine, an old drinking buddy who has since moved away, came to visit one weekend during my first attempt at this and she did research and said that absolut citron had no carbs so she brought me a fifth (lucky me!) and yeah it didn't take much to get drunk. but at a bar it can be expensive to just buy shots of good vodka...i like to sneak my flask in...most of the time ill get a michelob ultra light, tastes like ass but i can hold on to it and sip all night while chugging the flask and i don't feel the urge to buy drinks and more beer. id love to be able to give it up this time around, i just started induction...it just seems like so much is going on...peoples birthdays, killer shows...excuses excuses! but the longer you wait to enjoy the alcohol the cheaper and quicker you start having fun
oh, i also bring a string cheese or two in my purse in case others order food somewhere and i don't have the money or the spare carbs...and those egg mocmuffins are great for when you stumble home...oh, and i try to drink twice as much water as i normally do before i drink, and a cup of a green tea and a vitamin c pill...just renourish yrself and yr body will hopefully cancel the negative affects of the alcohol...
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-04, 23:06

Stats: 185/155/135 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 60%

I stick to vodka, diet tonic water, and lime or lemon
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 08:37

Stats: 435/410/225 Male 5' 11''
BF:
Progress: 12%

Anyone try the new Molson Ultra beer yet?

I remember having some of it years ago before it was a low carb product.

Scott.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 17:13

Plan: South Beach-ish
Stats: 170/134/120 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 72%

I've been drinking the past few weekends and I've still remained at my steady weight loss rate. My fiance is in the Air Force so you know how it is! I drink Diet Rite and regular, non flavored vodka.
Brittany
  #14   ^
Old Sun, May-16-04, 15:33

Stats: 315/190/165 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 83%

i went to two parties last night and had 1 & 1/2 bud light (i know, im so hardcore) beers at one...since "all light beers are low in carbs." At the 2nd party I had diet coke mixed with Smirnoff Vanilla Vodka, which im SURE was LOADED in sugar and carbs. However I weighed this morning and was down 2 pounds, checked ketostrip and I am still in ketosis, stronger than before. Can anyone explain this? Thanks.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, May-16-04, 16:19

Stats: 315/190/165 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 83%

i just looked up nutritional info for the smirnoff vanilla twist vodka and it says .96 carbs per ounce. does anyone know if this is right?