Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-06-05, 14:59

Plan: 1
Stats: 110/110/110 Female 111
BF:
Progress: 74%
Default OWL~Why are folks afraid to enter OWL?

I don't know how to start a poll, but want to hear what folks have to say! Why in the world are so many of us so afraid to enter OWL????????? Maybe that is why so many of us stall??????
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-06-05, 15:10

Plan: was Atkins now PāNu
Stats: 292.5/195/160 Female 5'10"
BF:

Great question! I think it is because induction is much easier and safer -- you have a simple list of acceptable foods, you have a set carb gram count for the day, and as long as you stick to that you will/should lose weight at a decent rate.

Moving into OWL was scary for me because it meant that I had to be much more diligent with writing down what I had eaten and I had to leave the comfort zone that induction had provide me with -- induction was very black and white, OWL is much more of a grey area and it is very individual. My CCLL could be at 45 grams and someone else's at 25g and someone else's at 75g!

OWL also meant that my weight loss would stall for at least 2 weeks when I was finding my CCLL -- which it did. For many people this is mentally difficult because they need to see the scale moving downwards. I won't say it was easy, but knowing that I was doing the right thing by moving into OWL for my long term success on Atkins, I was able to accept the weight-loss "stall" knowing that it was temporary.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-06-05, 15:20

BF:

Ok! I agree! So, do you think that folks may hang back from OWL, because once you get there is basically a no excuse stage? And, it is a stage that isn't viewed as a quick fix diet? You mention stalls! What is your definition of a stall?
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-06-05, 15:40
WONJ #7Snoopy Lover

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 177/135/128 Female 5"4
BF:less than before
Progress: 86%

I just hit my goal over the weekend and I have been on induction since Jan. (I know, the book says 6 months tops) It is so easy and I am so afraid of gaining weight. No worries if you don't eat too many carbs. Eventually it has to come off. I know I cannot live like this so I am adding carbs by vegies only for now, then I will add fruits. Strawberries are first on my list in about a month. I want to make sure I can maintain this weight before I add back too much.

I know, I am a mess!!!

I thought a true stall was no loss in inches or weight in 6 weeks or more.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-06-05, 15:40

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissScruff
Ok! I agree! So, do you think that folks may hang back from OWL, because once you get there is basically a no excuse stage? And, it is a stage that isn't viewed as a quick fix diet? You mention stalls! What is your definition of a stall?

I actually meant to put the term "stall" in quotations, like I just did here

My definition of a real stall is à la Atkins...what is it, 6 weeks (or 8?) no loss on scale and no loss of inches. I hesitated to use that word in that context, but laziness got the better of me!

My weight loss dropped a lot during OWL, and this could be scary for some people...these are my stats:

Jan -21.5 lbs (induction)
Feb -11.0 lbs (induction)
Mar-10.0 lbs (induction)
April-10.0 lbs (induction)
May-6.0 lbs (OWL + intensive exercise)
June-5.0 lbs (OWL + intensive exercise)

So, for many people this would be difficult if they are in the "diet" mindset. Although I started exercising quite intensively and burning a lot more calories, my weight loss had slowed down a lot -- quite disappointed. It is picking up again now, but for 2 months it could have been mentally rough if I wasn't committed for the long term.

One more thing, during induction, if you are in ketosis, it can have an appetite suppressing effect on some people. For me that was comforting because I was never hungry. That isn't the case in OWL, I really had to tweak with my food a lot to adjust to my hunger.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-06-05, 15:44

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by egnue
I just hit my goal over the weekend and I have been on induction since Jan. (I know, the book says 6 months tops) It is so easy and I am so afraid of gaining weight. No worries if you don't eat too many carbs. Eventually it has to come off. I know I cannot live like this so I am adding carbs by vegies only for now, then I will add fruits. Strawberries are first on my list in about a month. I want to make sure I can maintain this weight before I add back too much.

I know, I am a mess!!!

But you aren't alone, I think it is quite common for people to stay on induction until they get to goal, which is why we are thinking an OWL place would be excellent to address these types of issues.

You'll be fine if you follow the carb ladder and keep an accurate/honest account of what you are eating. It is important to help you find your CCLL (which, in your case will help you find your maintenance level of carbs), and also to help you identify any trigger foods.

Congratulations on your weight loss! OWL -- You can do it, good luck!!!!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-06-05, 15:45

BF:

Then maybe we need to begin a thread showing what we all eat on an average day of OWL??? There are folks, like me, that benefit from seeing what others eat! And, seeing what folks eat on induction just isn't doing it for me!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jul-06-05, 15:46

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brpssm
But you aren't alone, I think it is quite common for people to stay on induction until they get to goal, which is why we are thinking an OWL place would be excellent to address these types of issues.

You'll be fine if you follow the carb ladder and keep an accurate/honest account of what you are eating. It is important to help you find your CCLL (which, in your case will help you find your maintenance level of carbs), and also to help you identify any trigger foods.

Congratulations on your weight loss! OWL -- You can do it, good luck!!!!

You might want to explain for those of us that don't know, what CCLL is!!!!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jul-06-05, 15:54

BF:

Quote:
You might want to explain for those of us that don't know, what CCLL is!!!!

CCLL == "Critical Carbohydrate Level for Losing"

CCLL is basically the level of carbs that you can ingest in a day and continue to lose weight. Generally, you increment up by 5grams of carbs per 2 weeks following the carb ladder outlined in DANDR. Once you stop losing weight at a certain level, for me it was around 50grams per day, then you drop back down to the last level you were at and still losing weight. So, I dropped down to 45grams per day and this is my CCLL.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jul-06-05, 15:58

BF:

Quote:
Then maybe we need to begin a thread showing what we all eat on an average day of OWL??? There are folks, like me, that benefit from seeing what others eat! And, seeing what folks eat on induction just isn't doing it for me!

I'm going to post a menu later this evening...for now, I'd better get home before DH starts wondering what happened to me!!!
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jul-06-05, 15:58

BF:

Cool! How much exercise are you getting??? I know that effects loss as well so am curious!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jul-06-05, 15:59

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brpssm
I'm going to post a menu later this evening...for now, I'd better get home before DH starts wondering what happened to me!!!

My husband just got home so I am off here for a little while!
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jul-06-05, 16:26
WONJ #7Snoopy Lover

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 177/135/128 Female 5"4
BF:less than before
Progress: 86%

Thanks, I would love to see your menus and carb counts. I use fitday religiously.

I so want to maintain this the right way and not live my life on induction.

Thanks for making this thread!!!!!
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jul-06-05, 16:54

Plan: Atkins' OWL
Stats: 294/237.6/149 Female 5'8"
BF:oodles
Progress: 39%

Quote:
I don't know how to start a poll, but want to hear what folks have to say! Why in the world are so many of us so afraid to enter OWL????????? Maybe that is why so many of us stall??????

Maybe it's due to the basic appeal of mindless eating? Putting on the pounds, many of us didn't necessarily care about / track what we ate, yet we can use the same mindset constructively if we stay on Induction forever. No tracking or thinking or learning new acronyms; just eating what we know brings success.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jul-06-05, 17:31

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneDough
Maybe it's due to the basic appeal of mindless eating? Putting on the pounds, many of us didn't necessarily care about / track what we ate, yet we can use the same mindset constructively if we stay on Induction forever. No tracking or thinking or learning new acronyms; just eating what we know brings success.

Define eating that brings success? I notice you don't post your current weight? I do agree about mindless eating...and eating with excuses is something that seems to be epidemic around here. I have been doing a bit of research and notice lots of folks around here are missing some vital information about how they should be eating and are following myths... This way of eating isn't about eating what one wants, but eating what one knows is good for their body and eating stuff with sugar and flour just isn't good, not even for planned cheats, which by the way are not part of atkins plan...at least not the cheats going on around here! If one is truly following this way of eating then cheating with sugar and flour shouldn't be part of the plan! I was guilty of thinking the occassional sugar and flour cannot possibly hurt, but guess what? It does! If one thinks otherwise then they are in denial.

I found this quote on the official atkins site and love it! Until the food-obsessed demon has been cast from one's body and soul, then permanent weightloss and great health will never be achieved. "Now you—not that nameless, food-obsessed demon—are the one in charge of your appetite."