Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-25-05, 13:33

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 439/270/220 Male 66"
BF:YES
Progress: 77%
Default What will you miss about being FAT

There are too many advantages to being smaller and healthier. However what will you miss as you get thinner. This weekend I was sitting on a bench and I was unable to get comfortable and that is when I realised that I no longer had my built in BUTT CUSHION it was uncomfortable sitting. Now I know why skinny people run for the chairs with cushions while we used to run(walk quickly) for the biggest chairs. I will be seeking the cushioned chairs from now on. Just when I thought I could sit anywhere since I actually fit, I find a new (much easier to handle) hurdle to overcome. Dave.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-25-05, 13:41

Plan: Modified
Stats: 276/197/155 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 65%

i guess i will miss NOT being hit on by men.
It was quite a pain in the butt when i WAS thin........
i like men mind you... just well.........
oo h eck Never mind its too hard to explain!

Last edited by Brennabug : Mon, Jul-25-05 at 13:42. Reason: typo
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-25-05, 13:44
Round 2

Plan: RNY & LowCarb
Stats: 270/180/160 Female 5'10
BF:sz 24/sz16/sz8
Progress: 82%

I guess I (will/do/whatever) miss looking forward to meals. You know..the excitement of going out (without kids!) to a nice Italian restuarant or something..all the courses. Since being on LC its just not the same, its hard to get excited about tuna salad or hardboiled eggs. I think I've also slipped into the 'holidays are just another day,' syndrome... half the fun is lost if you can't indulge in the great food. (Yep, I know its about family and stuff...).

BUT... I wouldnt change where I'm at and where I'm going for those things above for anything.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-25-05, 13:45

Plan: 000
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I think I'll miss my lack of accountability....every day felt like a kid in a candy store.....eat whatever you wanted and be as irresponsible as you want, worry about the consequences later!

Of course I know I will miss my bigger boobs....
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-25-05, 13:55
Down-Sizing Me

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 211.6/211.4/135 Female 63
BF:42/42/20
Progress: 0%

Brennabug..

Ohh.. I think you & I may have some of the same issues..

I knew what you meant before you even thought about explaining it..

I notice people treat you differently as you lose weight.. and that scares me at times.. I've used my fat as insulation from the world..
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-25-05, 13:58

Plan: My own+BFL
Stats: 295/192/170 Female 5'4
BF:46.3/33/25
Progress: 82%

Well, in a strange way I will miss exactly what Misskimbee said. Not having to worry about what I ate, not having to be accountable for anything with food, just eating junk and getting the “carb rush” from it.

I’ve been hit on when I was 270, I’ve been hit on when I was 110 (way back in the day ), so I don’t notice a difference with that.

I’ll miss the self consciousness, the clothes that look like Barnum and Bailey could use them for their shows, the bad knees and chronic GERD-like heartburn… Oh wait, no I won’t
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jul-25-05, 14:11

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 451/434/287 Female 5'9"
BF:62%
Progress: 10%

Wow, this question was an eye catcher. I thought at first that there is nothing I will miss when I am no longer fat. But that didn't ring true. I know if I am really honest with myself I will miss using being fat as an excuse. For the past year or so, I have been working really hard not to use it as an excuse for things, but sometimes it is easy to let happen. I will have to learn to say "no", not to over commit myself, and be ok that I don't have any specific reason. Right now I can say no, because I know that I don't have the stamia to do a trillion things. Also it seems the heavier you are, the less is expected of you. I think I will also miss being unseen. I hope you understand, these things, being unseen and low expectations are things that I also hate about being this heavy and yet being honest, these things are also convenient when it serves my purpose.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jul-25-05, 14:40
Still Wicked

Plan: none currently (WFPB now)
Stats: 235/112/120 Female 151 cm (4.11 1/2)
BF:
Progress: 107%

I'm probably all confused, but I feel much more vulnerable now than I did when I was fat. I feel like a small woman, even though I wasn't quite 5 feet tall then either. In some ways, it is a good feeling because of the femininity sort of thing that can be nice at times, but in other ways, it is just sorta uncomfortable.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jul-25-05, 15:11

Plan: Bariatric Surgery/S.Beach
Stats: 280/143/145 Female 5ft 3 inches
BF:way/2/much
Progress: 101%

I read all the notes before mine not sure if I would post or not. And I totally understand what you all are saying. Its been so long since I've not been invisible, I'm not sure how I'll act to noticed again. I guess I miss eating what I want when I want.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jul-25-05, 15:35
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
i guess i will miss NOT being hit on by men.
It was quite a pain in the butt when i WAS thin........
i like men mind you... just well.........
oo h eck Never mind its too hard to explain!

Oh Brennabug!! I so relate to this!!

Now that I'm at a weight that has me in the "desireable" range....its starting to happen....and its not the kind of hitting on that I appreciate!!

I live and work in NYC...I walk many dogs during the day. I wear pants and not very tight t-shirts so that I will go unnoticed....or hopefully unnoticed

Many people want to chat with me about the dogs I am with....and every so often a man will use the dogs as an excuse to strike up a chat. It happened today with a lowlife kind of guy....I chose to not speak/respond to him...I had gotten a bad vibe....he started yelling at me and kept yelling!! I just walked away but if I was still my old weight, that would not have happened!!

It is an issue that deserves its own thread.....maybe in the emotional issues forum?
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jul-25-05, 16:01

Plan: Atkins~~OWL
Stats: 294/237/150 Female 5' 6
BF:
Progress: 40%

I read all the posts before I decided to answer also. I will miss mostly what I am already missing. FOOD. LOL I have always been one of those live to eat people. I LOVE trying new restaurants any of the dishes. I miss potatoes like a mad woman. Trying any new snack or recipe I want and not worrying. I have a love affair with food, always have. Food was always there for me...mom, dad, friends and such fell by the wayside but FOOD always made me feel sooo good.

KimNWI
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jul-25-05, 16:11
Visit my Journal!

Stats: 257/330/280 Female 5 foot 5 inches
BF:TOO MUCH!
Progress: 317%

It’s not what I will miss, but my kids said they will miss my squishy fat belly to snuggle on
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jul-25-05, 16:47

Stats: 300/197/195 Female 62
BF:Long term goal-125
Progress: 98%

I cant think of anything that I will miss. I can think of a whole lot of things I will gain. Most importantly I will hopefully gain time with my family.

Last edited by Debbyd : Mon, Jul-25-05 at 16:48. Reason: removed attachment
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jul-25-05, 16:54

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 419/410/400 Female 63 inches(5'3")
BF:Too Much
Progress: 47%

I can honestly say there is absolutely nothing I will miss when i lose weight.... I have been fat my entire life(well from about 8 years old till now)..I have been belittled, tormented, made fun of, made to feel like I am less than human....

So I will miss nothing...I am at a point in my life where a change is needed and welcomed with open arms..I dont care how hard it is......
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jul-25-05, 17:46
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planeman
There are too many advantages to being smaller and healthier. However what will you miss as you get thinner. This weekend I was sitting on a bench and I was unable to get comfortable and that is when I realised that I no longer had my built in BUTT CUSHION it was uncomfortable sitting. Now I know why skinny people run for the chairs with cushions while we used to run(walk quickly) for the biggest chairs. I will be seeking the cushioned chairs from now on. Just when I thought I could sit anywhere since I actually fit, I find a new (much easier to handle) hurdle to overcome. Dave.

I miss being able to eat full fat, high calorie foods, and not having to worry about my weight. You can eat a ton more when you weigh almost 300 pounds lol. Just the other day I was thinking about how jealous I am of heavy people who still lose weight eating eggs fried in lots of butter with sausages, cheese, desserts made of high fat almond flour & cream, etc... that stuff kinda goes bye bye when you reach the low weights . Reduced fat & reduced portion isn't bad but you miss the "myth" of low carbing - that you can eat as much as you want as long as you watch carbs, and your wieght will do what you want.