Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Tue, Jul-21-15, 07:35

Plan: atkins sort of
Stats: 312/300/195 Male 73 inches
BF:
Progress:

Hi All

Just checking in, after week 2. Well I Gained a pound back. But I have a theory here. I was perfect again this week but noticed some things i have already changed. the big step was just getting back on LC. so 2 weeks and a good 8 lbs truly lost. however i noticed in my second week i started alot of coke zero because i still craved some sweetness. i ditched all the atkins snacks this time and thought i was doing a great thing, which for me i was. however i am now ditching completely diet pop. i was up to 4-5 a day this past week and my keto strips went form medium to trace

my sweet drink, is now green tea without aspartame. we will see how that goes

i am horribly constipated right now. so theory 2 is my meds. this happened before. i am on some strong BP, CHol, Blood Sugar meds and ALL have constipation listed as a side effect. i mean its bad, i use metamucil daily and added to is some ex lax just to get some relief lol. sorry to be direct

but its still not good. i have upped my water intake as well and am trying to get roughage and veggies in there as well, which of course works in my favor for eating better

i really want to ditch these meds though, my thory is without them i would lose quickly and my body would be normal again. now of course i know i cant just go do that? and i wouldnt without consulting my Doc first. but i know for a fact the weight loss slowing is constipation due to these factors that make it very hard for me to lose.

so i am not discouraged because i also feel better and have lost 2 belot loops even with the 1 pound gain back.

its a catch 22 with the meds. i am on them because i am heavy, but to get thin they help prevent that, but if i go off them what happens?

i know no one can decide but me and my doctor but i think if i get going and lose a decent amount i am going to pull my self off the meds and heal with real food and a healthy weight

we will see3
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Tue, Jul-21-15, 08:57
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

Have you tried increasing salt for the constipation? If you've changed all the other things and you're still not experiencing much relief, it could be a sign of not enough salt.
  #48   ^
Old Tue, Jul-21-15, 08:57

Plan: quasi-Atkins
Stats: 298/275/180 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 19%

Dear trock~ I can so relate to how you were feeling when you wrote your question. On many days, my thoughts are very much like that. Recently diagnosed with Diabetes, need both knees replaced, messed-up shoulder, a diagnosis of Fibromyalgia, a sometimes foggy mind and many speech mistakes.. at 55 I am a mess. I occasionally have a day of being awesome but for the most part feel like a rather hulking shadow of who I used to be.

I am on my own "Save My Life Diet" and am mostly focused on making what I eat as whole and unprocessed as possible. I am not doing a particular plan at this time, just relying on what I've learned from past attempts and trying to keep my c/p/f ratios good to stay in ketosis. Will I stick with this? I hope so. Will you? I hope so.

It really does come down to a one-day-at-a-time thing for me. Not that we can't have a long view, but that long view is sometimes over-whelming, and it helps me to say "just for today." I'm certain I'm a carb-addict. And if I weren't, I'd be an alcoholic. It runs in my family. Some days are easy for me... but some days have me wrestling in the road with the devil, as I drive by a DunkinDonuts. Which wouldn't even be my first binge choice, lol. I have considered going to OA meetings..and may someday if I find I need some additional support. Meanwhile~ each day is a victory. I need victories!

I have gained and lost the same 30 lbs several times, but have never gotten back to my pre-pregnancy weight. And even then at 180, that was overweight. So I can't worry about whether or not I will keep it off, yet. I have to get it off first! But mostly, I want to feel better. Less weight for my poor knees.. a better recovery when I do have knee surgery, more nutrients, fewer chemicals upsetting my GI tract, less blood for my poor heart to have to pump, and make big bad diabetes go away.

Sigh. I know. it's hard. Let's hang in there.
  #49   ^
Old Wed, Jul-22-15, 18:01

BF:
Progress:

~Lee - no i hadn't thought if that, i put a decent amount of salt on the meat i eat and veggies. should i try more ?

~m0mlette - I competently understand, almost identical situations! you can do it though! one day at a time, you will turn everything around eating this way and you will come out somewhere down the road happier, healthier, and way more in touch with who you are.

everything you said is EXACTLY my world, and i tell you carb and sugar addiction are huge. i have a friend who is a clinical nutritionist and Chiro and he was telling me that sugar is more addicting that cocaine. add to that the processed foods i am convinced have ingredients to make you eat more and its a perfect storm

AND

you can bop in your local 7-11 and get ANY and as much as you want

its self medicating for the most part. its legal, easy, cheap, tastes great and if you suffer any depression or even if you dont just look around at the US and world and you know something is happening bad

anyway, i did not stray even after gaining a pound back and only being in trace of ketosis

i test daily and weigh weekly

i know though i am up against it this time, these meds ALL slow down metabolism and ALL contribute to constipation

i called my PCP and he said TAKE X, another drug

i swear once i get in a decently healthy range i am OFF the BP, Chol, and BS meds. i cant do anything about the allergy and asthma but it is ALSO better with no wheat and how i eat, and the pain meds for the shattered knees and neck but i will get off half my meds by xmas

and i bet anything the weight comes off faster

good luck to you all. this is the LONG HAUL.

heres my 2 week summation

1) down 10 lbs for sure

2) clear headed way more than i was

3) sleeping better

4) thinking better

5) mood more stable

6) less hungry and no crash in afternoon

7) down 2 belt loops

i would love to be down say 15 lbs in 2 weeks but everything else is just as important!

Lets do this!

thanks all for the help and kind words!

~m0mlette! you can do this to!
  #50   ^
Old Thu, Jul-23-15, 09:51
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

trock, this is what I do for constipation due to meds (I used to be the other way, but since I fixed that, I've had a few problems).

Increase salt intake - I eat lots of olives and also salt my food a lot. A more instant effect is to drink a glass of salted water (two teaspoons) and drink, but make sure you're near a loo

To keep things regular I use psyllium. I started with one heaped teaspoon in a glass of water and drank it down twice a day, and gradually increased (each week) until I reached a dose that kept things regular (for me 4 heaped teaspoons). The consistency and texture can be difficult and you can't take it within two hours of any meds, but along with a good amount of salt on my food, it works like a charm.
  #51   ^
Old Thu, Jul-23-15, 09:59

BF:
Progress:

~Lee - Thanks for the tip! i never thought of salt. I am on miralax right now lol, from my doc. i love olives to, will be getting some. i just never put salt and being consistent together. thanks for letting me know

i cannot wait to be off meds! so may side effects that i would almost rather have my life and energy back along with the symptom they are treating
  #52   ^
Old Thu, Sep-03-15, 20:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 416/379/200 Male 6'-1"
BF:
Progress: 17%

Quote:
Originally Posted by trock
~Lee - no i hadn't thought if that, i put a decent amount of salt on the meat i eat and veggies. should i try more ?

~m0mlette - I competently understand, almost identical situations! you can do it though! one day at a time, you will turn everything around eating this way and you will come out somewhere down the road happier, healthier, and way more in touch with who you are.

everything you said is EXACTLY my world, and i tell you carb and sugar addiction are huge. i have a friend who is a clinical nutritionist and Chiro and he was telling me that sugar is more addicting that cocaine. add to that the processed foods i am convinced have ingredients to make you eat more and its a perfect storm

AND

you can bop in your local 7-11 and get ANY and as much as you want

its self medicating for the most part. its legal, easy, cheap, tastes great and if you suffer any depression or even if you dont just look around at the US and world and you know something is happening bad

anyway, i did not stray even after gaining a pound back and only being in trace of ketosis

i test daily and weigh weekly

i know though i am up against it this time, these meds ALL slow down metabolism and ALL contribute to constipation

i called my PCP and he said TAKE X, another drug

i swear once i get in a decently healthy range i am OFF the BP, Chol, and BS meds. i cant do anything about the allergy and asthma but it is ALSO better with no wheat and how i eat, and the pain meds for the shattered knees and neck but i will get off half my meds by xmas

and i bet anything the weight comes off faster

good luck to you all. this is the LONG HAUL.

heres my 2 week summation

1) down 10 lbs for sure

2) clear headed way more than i was

3) sleeping better

4) thinking better

5) mood more stable

6) less hungry and no crash in afternoon

7) down 2 belt loops

i would love to be down say 15 lbs in 2 weeks but everything else is just as important!

Lets do this!

Hello trock,
Congratulations on your success! You're doing it right from what I've read, just be patient and it will happen. I'm currently losing weight again after being under demon sugar's spell for quite a while. Last October I was down to 358 but I started to let myself eat anything and got up to 405 by July 25 of this year. I was a walking sugar zombie. Junk food junkie, that was me. Since then I've sworn off sugar and eat a very high-fat diet, moderate protein and very few carbs from green veggies.

I'm so glad you are here and I know you will succeed, trust in the food to keep you satisfied and avoid all sweets--diet soda too--the Coke Zero was a real hurdle for me and it was keeping me from losing any weight. I was drinking more than a 12-pack a day. Since I gave it up nearly two weeks ago (with difficulty, I might add), I feel so much better and the scale is moving down. Be sure to eat plenty of fats and you won't notice any hunger. Try skipping breakfast now and then and see how you feel. Really, less food is what we want, not pagan quantities. Feast then fast, just like our ancestors did. Keep drinking tea without any sweeteners or try coffee with some good butter--it's pretty amazing. And I'm not a coffee drinker, but I am heading that way!

I can't wait to get off my own meds for BP, it's Coreg and I feel it's all that's been keeping me from the graveyard while I was overdosing on sugar. Without it my bp was 190/110. With it, it's 130/80. Still, to be free of it is a dream of mine.

WE CAN DO THIS!!!
  #53   ^
Old Wed, Dec-30-15, 21:47

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 262.2/247.2/204 Female 5ft 1/2 inch
BF:
Progress: 26%

...any update/word from Trock since July??
  #54   ^
Old Thu, Dec-31-15, 11:01

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Sadly, apparently not. Not always a bad sign when folks "disappear" but it usually is. I wish him well, but I truly feel coming here often is key to staying on plan. Of course some folks may lurk, but trock has not posted a thing since July 23.
  #55   ^
Old Mon, Jan-25-16, 12:50

BF:
Progress:

Hi all!

I'm really sorry I haven't checked in. I have had alot happen since the summer. most of it not the best.

i have fallen off the wagon again, and am now the heaviest i have literally ever been in my life

i hurt every morning, can barely walk, the pain from the knees and neck and arms is constant and i am weening off pain meds (opana, diclofenca etc)

i ended up in the hospital with diverticulitis and some internal bleeding at thanksgiving

its a mess

i was embarrassed to stop in and had just given up hope to ever get it back under control

i have tried a couple of times to get back on bandwagin and everytime i eat meat now i get nauseous, to the point i pop an Ondasteron pill. which is to help with that for pain meds

its such a vicious circle

I have had no time to cook or shop, i am not sure what to even make with the meat being so hard to digest (even had a chiro and nutritionist friend give me an enzyme supp thinking my gall bladder isnt working well)

anyway, i struggle on! i wish i knew why this is so hard this time. i am on a CPAP machine now to.

hoping to find an answer somewhere, somehow and continue on since i knwo how well this works.

thanks all!
  #56   ^
Old Sat, Feb-06-16, 18:31

Stats: 245/189/145 Female 5"4
BF:
Progress: 56%

Hey Trock, keep coming back, things will get better for you. I wonder if fat is easier to digest than meat ? Maybe a ketogenic diet might work better? Or take a look at Dr fung protocol ? Some where there is a way of eating that will work for you.
  #57   ^
Old Sun, Feb-14-16, 06:54

Stats: 171/151/143 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 71%

it seems that most of this is whether you think you can or can't do this. These posts have a lot of should do, but.... If you let the "should" win, then it will work. If you allow the "buts" to take it away from you then you remain in this state. This is more of an overall observation for all the posts of folks who are struggling - not just Trock.

Last edited by Groovegirl : Sun, Feb-14-16 at 07:03.