Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-17-14, 05:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 439.5/421.6/170 Female 5ft 10in
BF:
Progress: 7%
Question Is this possible or is my scale playing tricks on me?

I cautiously want to jump for joy this morning. I met my first mini goal of 425 lbs. In one week! YAY!

Here's the kicker though... When I started low carbing on 3/10/14, I weighed 439.5 lbs. As of 10 minutes ago, I weigh 423.8 lbs. That's over 15 lbs in one week.

Is that even possible? I haven't been starving myself by any stretch. In fact, there were a few days where I'd have to squeeze in an extra mini meal even though I wasn't hungry, just so I'd get enough calories for the day.

My carb intake has averaged in the 20 - 30 grams / day range.

So should I be second guessing myself, or should I just be happy to have met my first mini goal so quickly and use that as a springboard to keep myself going?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-17-14, 05:32

Plan: DANDR 2002
Stats: 432/180/200 Male 5 ft 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 109%

Def' possible esp' when you have a lot of weight to lose. Congrat's on your progress.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-17-14, 06:23

Stats: 242/205/180 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 60%

WOOHOO!!!! Congrats...keep it up and you'll be pleasantly rewarded!!

Just remember, the scale can be just as unfriendly but realize that if you are doing exactly what you're supposed to be doing, it will move. Fluctuations occur all day, every day so be sure to watch the overall trend to keep discouragement at bay.

I like to weigh periodically throughout the day...it's what drives home that knowledge that the scale will go up and down, all day!! It helps me stay motivated.

Best of luck in your journey -
Deanna
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-17-14, 12:05

Stats: 315/315/240 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

yes, the heavier we are the faster we lose - kind of a nice bonus :-) Do keep in mind, though, that an initial big loss is lots of water. When our body is using glucose for fuel, it needs to hang on to a LOT of water - if get carby and then smarten up, I can lose 7 pounds over night. I'm just telling you that so if the results slow down a little you won't get discouraged! But I think you should keep going at a good clip for the next little while anyway!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-17-14, 18:34

Stats: 439.5/421.6/170 Female 5ft 10in
BF:
Progress: 7%

Thanks to everyone who posted It's heartening to have reached my first goal so quickly, even if it is probably mostly water weight loss. My feet and legs aren't as puffy as they have been, so that's a bonus too

Next stop...400lbs
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-14, 06:43

Plan: Atkins/Cad/Keto
Stats: 394.6/339.2/300 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 59%
Smile

Hi Great job so far - like you I lost a lot of weight the first week and then went into a two week stall. I think my body had to adjust to the big loss. I was getting really discouraged because I was sticking strictly to plan. I finally got over the stall and am consistently losing between 1/2 - 3/4 lb a day again and have lost over 25 lbs in 6 weeks so don't be discouraged if you stall sometime soon and keep it up. Why don't you start a journal writing down what you eat every day and your thoughts for that day then when you are feeling discouraged you can see all your successes. When we have so much too lose being able to look back is a real help. It also reminds us of some of the foods we've tried and liked and those we haven't. Good luck and come visit my journal you will see what I mean.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-14, 07:32

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

I've never weighed myself cos it has always been more important to me that I lose inches - so thats what matter, do you look and feel thinner??

Jo xxx
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Apr-22-14, 00:28

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

As others have said, a big part of the initial weight loss is water as your body adjusts it's electrolyte balance from a glucose-based burner to a ketone-based burner. Keep that in mind if you fall of the wagon for a day or two because your body will reclaim that water if you go back to glucose burning. I went on a business trip for three days and came back 18 pounds heavier. Even though I KNEW it was water, it was very discouraging. Combined with my addiction to sugar, that was all she wrote and within a few months my weight went from 304 lb to 384 lb. You may or may not be a sugar addict -- I hope you aren't.

The other thing to keep in mind is that most consumer scales are not very precise. You can test this out by simply stepping on and off your scale about ten times and note the min to max variation. You can generally minimize this by placing your feet in as close to the same position each time (on my scale the dust creates a nice outline of my feet that I use as a reference -- hence I don't clean the platen!). Cheap digital scales often have a variation of 5lb or more (even 10+ lb). If you know this, then you can more easily disregard gains and losses that are within the window as potentially just being scale variation.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Apr-22-14, 11:18
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

My "mini goal" is to stay on plan all day, everyday - no exceptions. So far, I've reached my goal everyday since February 3rd. I don't weigh myself (don't have a scale capable), but I started at my outermost belt loop hole and I'm now on the 4th notch in. My loss has been pretty rapid, too. But I know it will slow as time goes on -- so I am trying to stay mentally prepared for that. Congrats on reaching your first mini-goal and I wish you all the best on reaching the others, too.