Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Turtle Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sun, Apr-17-05, 21:43

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Exercise will cause you to gain weight but it will also help to lose inches. It is more than just muscle being heavier than fat. Muscle need water and the body will retain more water to nourish the muscle. When I worked out at Curves, I lost about 17 inches without losing one single pound. I am going to have to return to Curves, it is just so much that I have to do, work and taking kids all over the place, that I dread going to Curves. It is like one more thing that I have to do.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sun, Apr-17-05, 21:50

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quest
I'm definitely at the age for pre-menopause, but then again so was I a year ago when I lost weight relatively quickly. I still have regular periods.

Quest, I am like that. But not only am I perimenopausal, I am also hypoglycemic. The part of the weight that was brought on by unstable insulin is gone. But the weight my body is hanging on to, for the sake of estrogen, is the last 15 lbs that I am trying to get rid of. I think, though, that there is a corelation between insulin resistance and menopause. If I were a physician this would be a research project.
  #33   ^
Old Sun, Apr-17-05, 22:22

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/201/140 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 32%

Losing weight is so frustrating. I have been so on target with my food program. I exercise 30 minutes a day. Did I lose this month? NO I actually gained! I went to the doctor Friday and she is going to run so tests to see what's wrong. I'm very discouraged. I use to lose so fast, now that I'm willing to make the changes permenent, I can't lose at all.
  #34   ^
Old Mon, Apr-18-05, 07:18

BF:

Judyr, exercising can and will cause weight gain. How much did you gain? As you build heavier muscle you will also retain water to nourish those muscles. Are you measuring? See if your measurments are shrinking.
  #35   ^
Old Mon, Apr-18-05, 10:51

Stats: 220/220/125 Female 5'5"
BF:44/44/20
Progress: 0%

Hi black57, I have joined curves last month and I gained 5lbs, and did not lose any inches! Did you experience this at first as well at first with Curves? I am a bit worried that this may not be the workout for me.
  #36   ^
Old Mon, Apr-18-05, 11:57

Plan: gluten free lc
Stats: 200/130/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 175%

Curves has been very good for me. Of course I look forward to it, and if it felt like just one more thing I had to do, maybe my answer would be different. I've lost inches everywhere but my arms. My weight doesn't seem to depend on exercising as much as diet, so I don't blame Curves for my stall. It seems like insurance to me, that I'm making sure to give the different muscles a workout, so if I do other exercises, I don't have to think about doing the whole spectrum. So I walk or do Pilates when I add to it. It gives me the cardio benefit too.
  #37   ^
Old Thu, Apr-21-05, 21:04

BF:

Patricia1, Bear with it. Make sure that you weigh before your workout-not after. I gained a couple of pounds but I weighed at the wrong time. I also find that an added day of walking can also help you to lose a lb or two. Don't get on the scale for awhile. Eventually your clothes will become looser. Then check your weight. The problem we face is that everything requires time.
  #38   ^
Old Fri, Apr-22-05, 06:35

Plan: dietitican prescribed
Stats: 272/186/159 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 76%
Default Frustrated and confused

Maybe you guys can help.

I'm getting rid of weight (slowly of course) but the inches arent going down either. They are either staying the same or going up! So where is the weight coming off from? Is it the fat in my head? or perhaps viseral fat (fat around internal organs).

Viseral fat is the deadlist so if that is where it is coming off from yay! but I sure would like to have some stats to show it. Nobody is noticing the weight I've gotten rid of or if they are they arent saying anything...very discouraging. I almost want to walk around with a sandwich board on that says "Hey look at me! I'm losing weight...say something encouraging darn ya"

I'm sure I'm building muscle, I better be given the amount and quality of my workouts , so maybe that is why I'm seeing an increase in inches. Still is very confusing and quite frustrating. I feel out of synx with my body.
  #39   ^
Old Fri, Apr-22-05, 11:08

Stats: 255/187/150 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 65%

Quote:
or perhaps viseral fat (fat around internal organs).

I am pretty sure that I did indeed lose what I thought of as "internal" fat during the first phase of my weight loss. No one noticed that I'd lost weight till I had lost over 50 pounds. Admittedly, I did lose some inches, but not as many as you might expect. It makes sense that once we get up to a certain level of overweight, our organs are probably surrounded by fat. As you say, it's a very good thing for health to lose that weight. If the scale is moving, something good is happening!
  #40   ^
Old Fri, Apr-22-05, 11:15

Plan: dietitican prescribed
Stats: 272/186/159 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quest
If the scale is moving, something good is happening!

I just wish I could make it move faster....maybe if I put some wheels on it so when I move it to clean it will woosh across the floor??

Dont mind me...I'm just poking fun at my own impatience.

Thanks for the encouragement!
  #41   ^
Old Sat, Apr-23-05, 05:38
Registered Member

Stats: 180/176/135 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 9%

Well, I am back, still at the same weight, but have to admit I haven't been good lately. Today I am so determined to lose this weight. I am sick of this fat!!! I want to feel good. I still weigh 180. If I can lose only 30 lbs I will be satisfied. I am a big boned 5'4" so at 150 I look pretty good, but would like to get to 135. So as a turtle I will give myself a year from now.
Good luck to everyone,
Shirl
  #42   ^
Old Sat, Apr-23-05, 21:00

BF:

I like to encourage people to eat the way vegetarians eat. They know exactly what is on their list of thinsg to eat and they live it. We are no different from vegetarians in that aspect except we are low carbers some here are low carbing vegetarians. I am so sick of hearing this but I am going to say it. Stop dieting. Don't make this a diet make it a way of life. The compliments will come, the weightloss will come...just practice consistancy and use your imagination.