Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#121   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-08, 10:51
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
I think its when we feel deprived that the binging starts.
Actually, not for me. The bingeing starts when I start eating foods that make me binge. For instance, chips. I don't binge on chips when I don't eat them. Am I deprived? Well, right now I would say "no". However if I start eating chips and stop, I'll feel deprived and want to restart. I'm in huge danger of restarting.

I can stay away from them just fine. But should I happen to start eating them, I don't stop eating them.
Sponsored Links
  #122   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-08, 10:54
Dazed and Confused

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/132/135 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 109%

I think if you are just sitting around thinking about evil food to binge on, *some* of that is psychological.
  #123   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-08, 12:02

Plan: If, fast 5, warrior diet
Stats: 178/174/143 Female 174cm
BF:
Progress: 11%

LowcarbUgh,

Just a question, during your weight loss, were you eating oats like you are now?

Im Thinking of adding oats and fruit to my menus! (brekky only)
  #124   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-08, 12:08
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

I think that the word "binge" is used to describe too many things that are different in order to conclude what causes a binge. The ED bingeing is a very different thing, with a very different set of emotions involved than what people are usually talking about when they say "binge."

I strongly believe that there is an ED binge, a biochemically driven binge and a psychologically driven binge that are all different. I think Nancy really nailed the biochemically driven binge -- you are fine until you do the one thing that gets it going, which is eating just a little of a driver.

That psychologically driven binge? I almost had one yesterday not because I was thinking about things to eat but because I read the magic word popcorn. My brain instantly smelled it, mouth started salivating, I could instantly feel the texture of crisp and tender together. If I'd had popcorn in the house I'd have probably eaten a bag, and called it a binge. I'd have stopped at one bag though. Problem is, I'd have reminded myself of how much I like it, setting myself up to want it the next day. And after a few days I'd go full bore into the biochemically driven binge and eat several bags.

Been there, done that. I have only one rule about food in the house that I force -- no popcorn can *ever* come home.
  #125   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-08, 12:17
Experimenter

BF:

Wow! I was eyeing the popcorn lustily in the supermarket yesterday too. I'm same with you on the popcorn, I can practically smell it and taste it just by saying the word.

I've often wondered if part of my binges are stimulated by MSG. It always seems like it is food with MSG that makes me go nuts. Even too much natural MSG does the same thing.
  #126   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-08, 12:25
Registered Member

Can't they hide MSG under natural and artificial flavors? I wonder about that, too, because my popcorn addiction is to one specific brand: PopWeaver Light. It's low sodium to boot.

I used to raise popcorn in my garden. I enjoyed making it a great deal. But it never really drove me to eating tons of the stuff the way the PopWeaver does.

You might be onto something with the MSG. Or it may be some other "flavoring" that does it. I can't even choke down regular or Extra Butter stuff of any brand. Too greasy!
  #127   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-08, 12:41
Experimenter

BF:

I put "stuff" on natural popcorn like soy sauce or parmesean cheese that gives it a natural kind of MSG thing... or else I binge on the bagged sort. Maybe it's that weird butter stuff they use that causes horrible lung disease in people...
  #128   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-08, 12:44
Dazed and Confused

BF:

I also love popcorn. But it doesn't love me.

I agree that there are different types of binging.
  #129   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-08, 12:46
Registered Member

My brand never used that butter stuff. When all that came out they issued a freakin' press release stating they didn't use it and never had. Because they are also the major supplier of popcorn to theaters the press went and interviewed some of their workers who said that in fact they had never seen it in the plant.

But that doesn't mean there isn't another chemical being used that causes the cravings. I use MSG in some things I cook, mostly Italian dishes when the tomatoes are too sweet. But I use 3 or 4 crystals, literally, in 2 or 3 quarts of food. Small alteration in taste that tones down the sweet and brings out basil in particular.
  #130   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-08, 12:50
Dazed and Confused

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessperth
LowcarbUgh,

Just a question, during your weight loss, were you eating oats like you are now?

Im Thinking of adding oats and fruit to my menus! (brekky only)

No, not oats, but I ate LC tortillas every day. I was on Bernstein's diet and not Atkins. I switched to South Beach and starting eating oats. It is one of the few grains that doesn't bother my blood sugar. I also had to decrease my fat intake.

I was very careful about increasing my carbs from 30 to 60 and started with strawberries. I would suggest trying oats and fruit and see what happens, but only try one thing at a time.