Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Our Website > Comments Box and Technical Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-03, 09:15

Plan: First Atkins, now South Beach
Stats: 165/160/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default Why is there no South Beach forum?

Am I missing something?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-03, 10:43
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Well one of the first things he states in the book is "This is not a low carb diet" and this is a forum for low carb plans.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-03, 10:56

BF:

Its very very similar to Sugar Busters, which has a place here, and in light of the huge number of people on it, I think it might be a good idea. It is lower carb for sure.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-03, 15:04

Plan: my own way...
Stats: 300/292/169 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 6%

It is still reduced carb...I agree they should allow it
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-03, 18:17

Plan: Yudkin
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default 57 threads

If you make a search for "South Beach" you will find 57 related threads.
I am not a moderater, do not know the "official policy", but I do not think anybody is BANNING it here... The reason you can not see those threads, that they seem to die out very fast.

(I think that most of the weightloss diets are directly or indirectly "reduced carbs" diets - there is no way to let unlimited carbs, meanwhile restricting calories. Low-carb is not exactly the same as reduced carb.)

Last edited by Galadriell : Thu, Nov-13-03 at 08:35.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Nov-13-03, 11:45

Plan: atkins/PP/my own
Stats: 180/133/140
BF:sz 14/4-6/toned 4
Progress: 118%

I think there should be one. South Beach Diet is a lot more low carb than "The Zone" which has a forum.

I read the book, and while it doesn't make as much sense as other low carb books, I have decided to eat less whole fat dairy while I'm in maintenance. I was eating more carbs before, but still eating fatty Atkins induction food, and I just didn't think it was the best idea.

SBD has this ricotta dessert recipe which is delish BTW. It's really easy to make.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Nov-13-03, 14:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: // Female 5 feet
BF:
Progress: 33%

I have wondered the same thing Boom. Dr. Agaston (the SB author) spoke here in St. Louis at a book fair last week and I went to hear him. Though he likes to think that his diet is nothing like Atkins, its not true. Induction on both are very very similar. After induction, carbs are limited on both diets. SB just adds more sooner. The major difference is the fat issue. Atkins says go for it with the fats (bacon grease, cream, whole fat cheeses) and SB stresses heart healthy veg. oils as the main source of fat. Both diets want you to know that they are not quick fixes but ways of life. And when you get to the maintainance phase in both, you limit your carbs and when eating carbs eat "good" ones like whole grains not "bad" ones like white flour and sugar. No body claims to have a magic formula. Some people, for a variety of metabolic reasons, need to be lower carb than SB in order to loose. Those who can loose on SB level carbs are doing it on Atkins too.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Nov-14-03, 07:55

BF:

Please Add A Forum!!!!!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Nov-14-03, 10:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/179.8/130 Female 5'4.75"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I agree with LadyBelle.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Nov-17-03, 09:56

BF:

Not sure why people would have such a strong opinoin about having one more forum for South Beach. It is definitely low or lower carb, no doubt about it. And lower carb than the Zone.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-03, 19:57

Plan: just low carb
Stats: 350/305/150 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 23%

It would seem only Reasonable to add a forum for South Beach, if there are people who are interested in it. I work with people who are following a variety of Low Carb plans and we all share information.

Would seem like with the prejudgice that we have all encountered at one time or another over weight issues, this group should have room for Everyone.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Nov-25-03, 21:37

Plan: atkins
Stats: 142/130/125 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 71%

I would like to see a forum for South Beach. The diet is becoming very popular, and maybe it would work better for some folks. Not everyone enjoys eating ground up pork rinds. My doctor told me to follow a high protein, low carb diet. When I told him I was doing Atkins, he questioned the need for all the fat. He said you just don't need it. Most the comments I have read in this forum about South Beach are from people who HAVEN'T tried it...I would like to hear from those that are actually doing the diet!! I think a forum would be a good idea. Gail
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 08:49

Plan: CALP (switched from Atkins)
Stats: 189/169/145 Female 63 inches
BF:Way/too/high
Progress: 45%

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagem
I would like to see a forum for South Beach. The diet is becoming very popular, and maybe it would work better for some folks. Not everyone enjoys eating ground up pork rinds. (snip) Gail

Don't you think you are overgeneralizing JUST A BIT? I was on Atkins for six months and ground up pork rinds were hardly a staple of my diet. I have recently switched to CAD/CALP (but haven't updated my profile). I switched, not because I disagree with the science behind Atkins, but because I am a true carb addict; I read the Eades book, and decided my body is ready for a change.

As for the reason there isn't a forum, didn't one of our moderators explain in an earlier post on this thread that SB is not a low carb diet, according to Dr Agaston himself?
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 08:52

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtena
Don't you think you are overgeneralizing JUST A BIT? I was on Atkins for six months and ground up pork rinds were hardly a staple of my diet. I have recently switched to CAD/CALP (but haven't updated my profile). I switched, not because I disagree with the science behind Atkins, but because I am a true carb addict; I read the Eades book, and decided my body is ready for a change.

As for the reason there isn't a forum, didn't one of our moderators explain in an earlier post on this thread that SB is not a low carb diet, according to Dr Agaston himself?

Why is there such opposition?

I am doing South Beach and I can tell you it is VERY similar to Sugar Busters, which has its own forum, and is way more low carb than The Zone, which also has its own forum. While you dont count carbs like you do on Atkins, (which I have done for 4 months, btw) I can assure you that it is basically a lower carb plan. Whats the big deal?
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 09:03

Plan: CALP (switched from Atkins)
Stats: 189/169/145 Female 63 inches
BF:Way/too/high
Progress: 45%

Sorry, I hit the post button too early. What I should have said, was that if the author says it isn't low carb, and the moderators create a forum, he could have his lawyers come after them for misrepresenting his diet. Not that I am saying he would do that, just that he could do that.