Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Our Website > Comments Box and Technical Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-04, 12:14
Registered Member

Plan: Various
Stats: 196/172/154 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 57%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamarian
Yes, text can cause problems, if it spans too many lines. It will not effect browser like wide images do, but it will cause members to scroll a page to read too many lines of signature text.

To avoid trimming a text signature, make sure you don't use too many lines (even empty lines).

Wa'il

Oh, it was about downward scrolling! Thanks for explaining. I've squashed mine up onto fewer lines.

Thanks, Wa'il
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-04, 12:26
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally Posted by suleika
Oh, it was about downward scrolling! Thanks for explaining. I've squashed mine up onto fewer lines.

Perfect

Wa'il
  #33   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-04, 12:27
Forum Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFwife
Oh ok that explains why my doll was cut in half. Will fix right away.

Thank you all for the hard work back there.

You're welcome, and don't forget, you can resize your old sig image, or we can help you resize it, it's too damn cute to give up

Wa'il
  #34   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-04, 20:58
Gettin' Close

Plan: LC
Stats: 274/220.6/210 Male 6'2"
BF:33/23/15
Progress: 83%

"Huge signatures have been causing problems for many members with small monitors and low resolution."

With all due respect, it is 2004. Other than some members who may be using wireless Palm devices to access the forums here, I'd be hard pressed to believe that there are many members for whom a larger sized signature would present an issue. Perhaps you could start a poll to determine how many members are actually affected by large signatures, and if the numbers justify it, enforce signature size limits. Just my opinion.

Mike
  #35   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-04, 21:07
Forum Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonesigh
"Huge signatures have been causing problems for many members with small monitors and low resolution."

With all due respect, it is 2004. Other than some members who may be using wireless Palm devices to access the forums here, I'd be hard pressed to believe that there are many members for whom a larger sized signature would present an issue. Perhaps you could start a poll to determine how many members are actually affected by large signatures, and if the numbers justify it, enforce signature size limits. Just my opinion.

Mike

Actually, I'm using 1600x1200 resolution, and still encounter signatures that will require me to scroll sideways to read a thread!

The new size is essentially 120 pixels in height (that's double the height of regular banner), and the width is set to 100% of the width of the browser.

So the 300 pixels width is not enforced, it just recommended. If you post a 1000 pixels wide signature, it will be seen fully on wide displays, but it will be trimmed for those on a low resolution display.

This should be more than enough signature space, and ensures there's no more need to scroll sideways to read a thread, regardless of the browser.

Wa'il
  #36   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-04, 21:13
Gettin' Close

Plan: LC
Stats: 274/220.6/210 Male 6'2"
BF:33/23/15
Progress: 83%

Hi Wa'il:

I'm using a Toshiba Satellite with a 15" diagonal XGA display. Previously, I used a Sony VAIO. I've encountered absolutely no problems reading any posts with either notebook. I have not checked what my screen resolution is set at, but it is the default, as I have never changed it. BTW, I view postings with the member info displayed horizontally above the post, versus to the left of the post.

-Mike
  #37   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-04, 21:24
Forum Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonesigh
Hi Wa'il:

I'm using a Toshiba Satellite with a 15" diagonal XGA display. Previously, I used a Sony VAIO. I've encountered absolutely no problems reading any posts with either notebook. I have not checked what my screen resolution is set at, but it is the default, as I have never changed it. BTW, I view postings with the member info displayed horizontally above the post, versus to the left of the post.

-Mike

It's possible for 15" notebooks to display high resolutions. The majority, I think, use 800x600, and many, though not the majority use 640x480 and the that standard sig size will make half the displayed page consisting of a sig.

See the screen shots posted in the first post, those were taken from a 640x480 resolution, as an example.

Wa'il
  #38   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 09:07
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

>>"Huge signatures have been causing problems for many members with small monitors and low resolution."

Erm... Bonesigh, this is just my personal take, not moderator official-ness, but I took that to be a euphamism for "huge signatures are an annoying breach of nettiquette."

Last edited by Kristine : Mon, Apr-26-04 at 09:13.
  #39   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 17:43
Honoured to be here

Plan: atkins
Stats: 302/263/210 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 42%

most people are probably sorted by now, but if anyonewants help resizing images etc. let me know and i will be only too happy to resize them to the spec laid out and send them back...no problem at all..

all the best..

Tony
  #40   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 14:39

Plan: atkins
Stats: 190/165/165 Male 5'8
BF:
Progress: 100%

Do you have to have a specific amount of posts in order to make a custom signature?
  #41   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 15:58
Forum Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmizer
Do you have to have a specific amount of posts in order to make a custom signature?

Yes, same as PM's, the day after reaching 25 posts.

Wa'il
  #42   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 16:30
Southern Gentleman

Plan: CKD
Stats: 272/219/210 Male 70.5 inches
BF:30+/20-21/14-15
Progress: 85%

Well, I just noticed that my signature is getting cut off in the middle. It has never done that before, what's up?
  #43   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 16:40
Forum Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipperoo
Well, I just noticed that my signature is getting cut off in the middle. It has never done that before, what's up?

The first post has an update that will explain this.

Wa'il
  #44   ^
Old Fri, May-28-04, 02:27
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Atkins Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 268/257/150 Female 68
BF:39%
Progress: 9%
Question I can't find my signature

I read and read a lot of messages and posts, how to change the color, font and size of my signature. I did it! Now, I can't bring up my signature back up and have been reading and re-reading the posts. What am I doing wrong? Yes, it does have the correct system requirements and everything else. It took me almost 2 months to figure out how to change color, font and size. I believe it's going to take another 2 months to figure out how to bring up my signature. Can someone help, so I won't have to read and re-read to figure it out. Thanks.

Cindy Q

Wow, somebody in here read my post before I submitted it. I want to give you a BIG thank you.
  #45   ^
Old Fri, May-28-04, 11:52
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Uh... I can see your signature. Did you disable them? Go to "User CP" on the far left of the tool bar, then "edit options", and check your settings.