Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-25-04, 19:32
Registered Member

Plan: simple low carb :)
Stats: 165/157/150 Female 67"
BF:Have a boyfriend!
Progress: 53%
Default atkins and popcorn

ok....i know popcorn is higher glycemic, but studying the labels on just about every box at the grocery store, it shows to be low carb. 9g TOTAL carbs per full size bag, and "less than 1g fiber" per serving (3g carbs in a serving, 3 servings per bag, so i calculate this as 2.5g net carbs per serving and 7.5g net carbs per bag). i also know popcorn can be a trigger food for some. i am a popcorn addict. a popcorn enthusiast. i LOVE it. i eat it, and it fits into my carb count for the day (probably once or twice a week). does anyone else eat it?? and i know that most brands contain trans fats and all (which isn't healthy for anyone), but aside from that, do you eat it? do you think it is ok as far as carbs? my fave variety is orville r's "ultimate butter".
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-25-04, 19:59
MySpaceBarSticks.

Plan: atkins
Stats: 21/20/180 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: -1%

I have never been a popcorn eater. I do have a few recipes from an atkins cookbook for certain popcorn creations. If it was something i did enjoy and seeing the carb counts that you gave, then Yes i would occasionally have a few cups.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-25-04, 20:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/140/140 Female 5' 4.5"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I always eat popcorn when we go to the movies, although I don't eat it much at home. I have never been able to give it up, and have done this from day one.. something about sitting in that theater and smelling it all around me... I didn't realize it was that low in carbs. Makes me feel better about indulging!

Robin
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-25-04, 20:15

Plan: My Own
Stats: 200/180/175 Male 5'11.5"
BF:sz36/sz31/sz30
Progress: 80%

My wife eats it constantly hehe.

But becareful which one you buy.. I noticed a very large varity in carb counts on them last week when I was checking lables in the store, some had as many as 30 carb per serving. The one I picked up was 9 carb per bag I think, do not recall right now. And lets be honest here in all reality 1 bag = 1 serving.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Aug-25-04, 20:17
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I'd vote saving it for maintnance or premaintanance. Then make your own at home with real butter not that fake transfat crap and watch serving sizes. Many popcorns are something like 1/2 cup for a serving which means a movie theater small is enough to feed like 8 people :P
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Aug-25-04, 20:42

Stats: 286/261/160 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI43.5%/39.7%/24%
Progress: 20%

I don't like popcorn unless it is totally smothered in caramel and nuts so I just don't go there .

You can probably fit it into your eating plan but don't do it too often because when we use carbs from foods like that, we have to cut back on veggies to make up for it........ I do it occassionally but it isn't very healthy .
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Aug-25-04, 21:18
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I've seen it close to 9 grams net per SERVING, but the serving size is one cup, not the whole bag. What brand were you looking at?
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Aug-25-04, 21:32
Registered Member

Stats: 198/162/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 62%

I've seen a couple that aren't bad and had thought that I might allow myself popcorn after goal when I go to the movies. I would have to guess that the higher carb popcorns are the kettle corn type...none of the regular ones that I looked at were all that bad. Fitday lists it at about 5 net carbs per serving (1 cup) average...except for the sweet...(like kettle corn types)...look out for those!!! Even still...I know that 1 cup of popcorn isnt gonna cut it for me...I could plan on at least 15 carbs at the movies.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Aug-25-04, 21:53

Plan: SBD
Stats: 209/173/150 Female 5'7"
BF:40.9%/33.5%/23%
Progress: 61%

I've eaten movie popcorn all the way through my weight loss journey. I couldn't give it up. I gave up alot of other things. I didn't have it too often, once every 2 or 3 weeks.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Aug-25-04, 22:03
Beach Bum

Plan: da Beach looking for Sun
Stats: 250/229.5/163 Female 5ft 5in
BF:not/ahot/clue
Progress: 24%

I've eaten popcorn both at home and the movies and if the this is the worst I am going to do than I am happy to do it. I count it in my totals but only have it if I have eaten an appropriate amount of veggies. I won't allow myself to substitute a treat for good and proper foods.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Aug-26-04, 06:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatofree
I've seen it close to 9 grams net per SERVING, but the serving size is one cup, not the whole bag. What brand were you looking at?

Uncle Willies or somthing like that. I will try to find it on google for you....
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Aug-26-04, 06:46
Registered Member

Plan: simple low carb :)
Stats: 165/157/150 Female 67"
BF:Have a boyfriend!
Progress: 53%

most of the brands list nutrition count BEFORE and AFTER popping. it varies from 3g to 4g AFTER popping for most. and that's PER CUP, at 3 cups PER BAG. take out that little bit of fiber PER CUP, and i assume that's 7.5g PER BAG. the brand i eat, as i said above, is O.R.'s Ultimate Butter. but, of course, making your own and adding your own butter is the best as far as general health is concerned.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Aug-26-04, 06:51
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

I agree with the 4-5 net carbs per CUP of popped corn, not counting the butter/margarine/whatever toppings. If you fix yourself a bowlful, you can easily be eating 5-10 cups. And heaven knows how much is in those boxes at the theater.

I keep a bag of popcorn kernals in the house and when I eat some, I airpop it myself in the microwave in olive oil (bought a cheap bowl designed for this purpose) or add my own butter. The microwavable bags are loaded with transfats, and if I pop a whole bag, let's face it, I'm going to eat the whole bag. If I pop it myself I can pop 3 cups worth and that's all I eat.

I should add that I'm in Maintenance and I would not eat popcorn on any other level of Atkins, just because of the high carb count. Not to mention that it's really not that nutritious. About the only time I eat it is if I've done my fitday for the day and find my carbs to be really low...popcorn helps bring them up.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Aug-26-04, 06:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vydor
Uncle Willies or somthing like that. I will try to find it on google for you....

Cousin Willie's Movie Butter Microwave Popcorn
18g carbs - 5g fiber = 13g PER BAG
4g Carbs - 1g fiber = 3g net carb PER CUP POP'd.

More info ... http://www.ramseypopcorn.com/microwave.php

Google rocks

So I was a bit under when I said 9, sorry, but 13 per BAG is not bad at all.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Aug-26-04, 06:52
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Is that a regular-sized bag, Vydor? It seems like there would be a lot more than 3 lousy cups in a regular bag. A cup of popcorn is barely more than a handful.