Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-24-18, 02:31

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Wedding cakes being swapped for giant cheeses as couples join backlash against sugar

Quote:
From The Telegraph
London, UK
23 September, 2018

Wedding cakes being swapped for giant cheeses as couples join backlash against sugar

A dense fruit cake has for generations been an integral part of any wedding - whether or not the bride enjoys dried fruit.

However, the tide is turning against sugary deserts, and couples are swapping confectionary for piles of cheese truckles, decorated with flowers to look lie a tiered cake.

(The upmarket British supermarket) Waitrose has reported a huge rise in sales for its cheese wedding 'cakes' - a trend also experienced by dairy shops across the country.

The supermarket revealed that the cakes, often made of Gouda, Stilton and Brie, have become increasingly popular among newlyweds, with sales of cheese wedding cakes up an averrage of 49% compared to last year.

Andy Swinscoe, the owner of The Courtyard Dairy in Settle, has been selling cheese wedding cakes there for 5 years.

He said that the cheese 'cakes' give a good alternative for people who want to avoid sugar, and for couples wanting their wedding to be unique.

Mr Swinscoe explained: "A lot of people like the whole experience - they come to our shop and taste all the cheese and it's a real experience.

"A lot of people want to avoid sugar and also a lot of people do not like fruit cake.

"People even take cheese home from these weddings as party favours.

"It's something a bit different and a talking point.

"We've been doing it for five years - popularity has massively increased in recent years."

After a banquet of rich food, revellers often enjoy a slice of cheese with a glass of wine rather than a piece of dense cake, he added.

Jo Carman, Waitrose Entertainingg Buyer, added: "There's no doubt that a slice of cheese to celebrate a marriage is gaining in popularity.

"Wth Waitrose, the bride and groom can opt for a completely British wedding cheese cake, including a Hafod Welsh Organic Cheddar, a Cropwell Bishop Stilton and a Cornish Yarg. The cake is a beautiful balance of flavours and textures, and pairs wonderfully with a dry cider or a crisp floral Riesling."

Waitrose magazine news editor Alison Hepworth said that she opted for one as a centrepiece at "my hrifty nuptials." She said that as wel as being easy to decorate, they double up as the evening meal served with bread or biscuits and a few chutneys and pickles.

She added: "The news came of little surprise to me: cheese wedding cakes make sense because they are practical and great value and also beautiful."

Waitrose Cheese Wedding Cakes

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...cklash-against/
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-24-18, 04:14

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Wouldn't this concern Dr. Nigma Talib that the wedding attendees who consume these cakes are at extremely high risk of developing Dairy Face??? Someone must warn them!!!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-24-18, 05:35
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

Thanks for sharing the article, Demi and I totally 💚 love the "cheese" cake IDEA!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-24-18, 05:38
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

Hey, Rob, I didn't "get" the Dairy Face reference until I read the other thread Demi posted!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-24-18, 05:56

Plan: LerC, TRE, IF
Stats: 150/120/120 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Great idea.

For some years now I have not had birthday cake or Christmas cake. Instead my husband has standing orders to get me a block of Gjetost instead. It is a whey cheese and tastes sweet, so those are the only occasions on which I indulge.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Sep-24-18, 06:20

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

OMG, havent had Gjetost in YEARS !!!! The local shop that carried so many goodies closed up years ago. Definiely a rich sweet cheese.

Given my wedding was too many years ago to count, I would love this for an anniversary party:

https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/produ...3-506112-506112
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Sep-24-18, 20:05

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Jo
Hey, Rob, I didn't "get" the Dairy Face reference until I read the other thread Demi posted!

Hey, Jo, couldn't resist
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Sep-24-18, 21:45

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
OMG, havent had Gjetost in YEARS !!!! The local shop that carried so many goodies closed up years ago. Definiely a rich sweet cheese.

Given my wedding was too many years ago to count, I would love this for an anniversary party:

https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/produ...3-506112-506112

Ohhh That cheese (cake) looks wonderful

Is Gjetost the caramel colored cheese that just melts in your mouth? If so I haven't had it in years and it is to die for!!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Sep-25-18, 08:42

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

At least they won't get "Wheat Face", just "Dairy Face"; now wedding guests get both and often "Wine Face" too (a good reason to avoid honeymoon photos - people look their worst after looking their best at the wedding).

I've never liked wedding cake or felt the need to eat it in the past 25 yrs; I just pass it down the table and nobody notices. I do the same at office birthday & other parties too; with coffee or wine or crudités in one hand and water in the other, people assume I've set my cake down somewhere and I enjoy the conversations.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Sep-26-18, 03:35

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

My first husband and I had a tiered cheese cake. Looks like we were ahead of our time!
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Sep-26-18, 04:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 296/220/205 Male 71 inches
BF:25%?
Progress: 84%

I know several ladies that would be very upset if red wedding cake was not served at a family wedding. It has nothing to do with sugar.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Sep-26-18, 21:10
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!

Would have to bring that in with a fork lift LOL
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Sep-26-18, 22:15

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Would have loved such a "cheese cake" at my wedding; hubby not so much. He doesn't like any sort of cheese that is at all aged. Cream cheese is fine (especially in cheesecake!); recently he has agreed to try mozzarella, and agreed that it's "not too bad". It isn't the dairy, it's the flavor. Poor deluded man. I had to re-learn cooking when I met him. :-)
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Sep-27-18, 07:18
Registered Member

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 210/191/150 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:38/37.2/??
Progress: 32%

That's a great idea. I'm glad people are thinking of alternate ways to celebrate.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Sep-28-18, 18:38

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambulo
Great idea.

For some years now I have not had birthday cake or Christmas cake. Instead my husband has standing orders to get me a block of Gjetost instead. It is a whey cheese and tastes sweet, so those are the only occasions on which I indulge.

My dad LOVED Gietost! Partly because he grew up eating it (his mother was Norwegian), but partly because we kids were grossed out by it & wouldn't touch it. He knew it wouldn't disappear out of the fridge.

My tastes have changed considerably over the years, so I should give it a try.

My idea of a celebration food is rib eye or salmon - the latter if my sister cooks it. She does a better job of it than I do.