Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-23-18, 00:21

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Public Health England is out to ‘sabotage’ my Pioppi Diet advice

Quote:
From The Sunday Times
London, UK
23 September, 2018

Public Health England is out to ‘sabotage’ my Pioppi Diet advice

Aseem Malhotra

Earlier this month, I delivered the keynote lecture to an audience of 250 GPs and other healthcare professionals at the UK’s first medical educational-accredited lifestyle medicine conference in Leeds.

Much of the day focused on the root causes behind the public health crisis of type 2 diabetes and obesity, and what we can do to fix it. One of the biggest challenges is improving the message to the public on healthy eating.

For decades, powerful food companies have profited from promoting misleading health information and aggressively marketing junk food to children and the most vulnerable members of society. Public Health England is charged with help to protect and improve the nation’s health. My experience is that its officials undermine public debate and behave more like a front group for the processed food industry rather than an independent and trustworthy body that welcomes public debate.

In an effort to combat the epidemic of health misinformation I co-wrote a book, The Pioppi Diet, which brings together the evidence on what individuals and policy-makers can do to rapidly improve health and reverse the twin epidemics of obesity and type 2 diabetes. I was pleasantly surprised when the deputy leader of the Labour Party, Tom Watson, contacted me a few months ago to let me know he had “relatively easily” lost 94lb and improved his health by specifically following the diet.

The most important message in the book — which recommends a Mediterranean-style diet low in refined carbohydrate — is how lifestyle changes are more powerful than any drug in preventing and treating heart disease; these also come without side effects.

For inexplicable reasons, according to one prominent healthcare leader (who has asked not to be identified), Public Health England tried to “sabotage” the launch and press coverage of the book last year. I was told by one eminent doctor that he had been contacted by a senior official from the body and warned from attending the launch in London, to be held at the headquarters of Penguin Random House. To his credit, he did attend.

Another health leader, who heads a national charity, did not attend, and said he had been “poisoned” against the book. Andy Burnham, the mayor of Manchester and a former health secretary, endorsed the book and attended a launch in Manchester. His office also received a call from Public Health England, warning him against showing public support of the diet.

I was shocked by these attempts to try and undermine a healthy eating plan, to stifle debate and to damage my credibility.

My campaign is to try and improve the nation’s health with a plan endorsed by several leading scientists and dietitians. Public Health England’s own recommendations for healthy eating — which are promoted by the Eatwell Plate, a diet guide backed by the Department of Health, which includes chocolate, crisps and cakes to eat “less often” — was drawn up in consultation with the food industry. I have not seen any statements from the organisation’s health officials saying we should be eating less of the sort of ultra-processed food that now makes up half of the British diet.

Public Health England makes different dietary recommendations to the Pioppi diet. It recommends placing starchy carbohydrates, such as bread, pasta, rice and potatoes, at the base of the diet, and to reduce consumption of saturated fats. I have published evidence reviews showing no association between consumption of saturated fat and a heightened risk of cardiovascular disease, diabetes and death, but Public Health England doesn’t want to debate the issues.

We want to trust government dietary guidelines, but Public Health England must give a clear commitment to systematic reviews of the evidence. It must stop engaging in dirty tricks to try and censor and silence those who want to engage in legitimate debate.

Dr Aseem Malhotra is an NHS consultant cardiologist and visiting professor of evidence-based medicine at the Bahiana School of Medicine and Public Health in Brazil. He is the co-author with Donal O’ Neill of The Pioppi Diet, a 21-day lifestyle plan. Dr Malhotra is donating his royalties from the book to charity

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/...dvice-pr286lsf3

Quote:

Tom Watson’s diet doctor hit by government ‘dirty tricks’

A cardiologist and anti-sugar campaigner whose advice helped Labour’s deputy leader Tom Watson lose seven stone says he is the victim of a “dirty tricks” campaign by the public health agency.

Dr Aseem Malhotra advocates a Mediterranean diet low in added sugar and refined carbohydrates. He believes saturated fat — found in cheese and full-fat milk, which scientists recently linked to better heart health — has been wrongly demonised. However, his advice contradicts that of Public Health England (PHE).

Now he says PHE, which he claims has been acting like a front for the food industry, has tried to discredit him.

In an article for The Sunday Times, Malhotra says government health officials contacted health leaders to warn them against endorsing or supporting his advice before the launch of a book he co-authored last year, The Pioppi Diet.

The regime is based on the eating habits of the Italian village of Pioppi, where many inhabitants live into their late nineties and beyond. Malhotra’s royalties go to charity.

Officials phoned the private office of Andy Burnham, the Manchester mayor and former health secretary, with a warning after he endorsed the book. Duncan Selbie, the PHE chief executive, phoned a hospital trust in Greater Manchester, Tameside and Glossop Integrated Care NHS Foundation Trust, saying that it should not endorse the diet.

Malhotra’s criticism of PHE comes after Professor Sir Ian Gilmore, a senior government adviser on alcohol, resigned over the agency’s decision to work with a charity funded by the drinks industry.

Watson said last week that following Malhotra’s low-carbohydrate diet had helped reverse his type 2 diabetes.

He said: “It seems extraordinary that the government agency responsible for helping us get healthy has tried to close down a respected cardiologist who just wants to make people well.

“If they disagree with him, debate with him, but don’t silence him.”

PHE said that its dietary advice — which Watson ignored to lose weight — is supported by the best scientific evidence.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/...ricks-rz6n2pzfx
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-23-18, 04:56

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Thanks for keeping us aware of this festering issue, Demi. The attempts to discredit and silence are part of the pattern of a pending change in beliefs. The processed food manufacturers will continue to influence and use the government to milk as much revenue out of their product lines as possible until they make a forced transition to low carb, keto friendly products. This is all due to current public opinion moving away from the Eatwell Plate fraud. Attacking, discrediting, and silencing those experts posing a threat to these beliefs is the next desperate act in this playbook. Good that this is being exposed, as we must understand clearly what is happening in order to protect our own good health.