Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Kick Nicotine Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-04, 13:20
Recovering Yo-Yo

Plan: What's best for me
Stats: 291.6/147/164 Female 5'8"
BF:A work in progress
Progress: 113%
Default Ex-Smokers & Metabolism....how long did it take yours to return to normal?

I am happy to say that tomorrow is I am celebrating 11 months smoke free. However, my metabolism still hasn't recovered. Any other ex-smokers who can share their stories on how quitting smoking affected their metabolism and how long it took it to recover?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 21:38
Recovering Yo-Yo

There must be an ex-smoker low carber out there somewhere.......
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-05-04, 21:14

Plan: south beach
Stats: 166/166/160 Male 5'11
BF:
Progress:

Hi Josiekat I quit smoking last year for six months and I noticed a increase in energy right away I acually lost weight juring that period, probably cause I could push myself alot harder with exercise but I developed a sweet tooth I never had before. I'm smoking again but have set a date for June to quite again I noticed right away that my metabolism got better I know alot of people's metabolism slows but running really helped rev it up, in fact I feel that it is just starting to slow on me now which is why I'm quiting again. Good luck to you don't give into the craving like I did it's just habit.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-06-04, 06:42
Recovering Yo-Yo

Hiya Flug,

Thanks for the input.....I'm telling you...the last month has been as hard as the first month was.....the cravings....partly too I think because I am looking for ways to increase my metabolism and well, smoking would do it. I don't plan on starting again.....but my metabolism took a S*#! kicking when I quit. I've increased the exercise to help out.....I guess all I can do is continue on as is and eventually everything will work itself out!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-06-04, 07:30

Plan: south beach
Stats: 166/166/160 Male 5'11
BF:
Progress:

Josiekat how often do you eat?? Try evey 2 hrs even if you not hungry have a little protein snack. Also green tea is a good metabolism booster I've read that the green tea pills are better than drinking the stuff in terms of boosting your metabolism. Are you stalling right now?? Is this why you think your metabolism isn't back to normal?
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-10-04, 11:58

Plan: Atkins/LowCarbBFL
Stats: 215/182/170 Male 73
BF:33%/20%/14%
Progress: 73%

Well I quit 7.5 months ago and I'm still not back to where I was as far as metabolism. I feel that just in the past couple of weeks it has ticked up a couple of notches. I attribute the upswing to increased muscle from weightlifting. However, I think I'm still a good bit below my smoking metabolism.

Kent
  #7   ^
Old Mon, May-10-04, 18:50
Recovering Yo-Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by flug
Josiekat how often do you eat?? Are you stalling right now?? Is this why you think your metabolism isn't back to normal?

Absolutely flug! I am stuck...and when I'm not stuck....I'm losing at a snail's pace....when I smoked and followed plan, the weight fell right off. Since I have quit, I can feel a difference in my body.....but the main issue is the weight loss or lack thereof. I had read somewhere when I quit that it can take upwards of a year and sometimes more for your metabolism to "heal" itself and get back to where it was when one was a smoker....just seems to me that it is taking an awfully long time! Thanks for the tips on green tea and eating every two hours.....I am willing to do/try anything. I'm just about at the end of my rope!

kpow.....congrats on the 7.5 months! I confess that I have thought more and more about starting again to try and boost my metabolism....however, I know I won't because I refuse to hand over so much of my hard earned cash over to the government who have taxed cigs to the hilt! Do you know if it's true that resistance/weight training is better for increasing metabolism than general cardio exercise? Seems to me someone mentioned that to me somewhere in passing.

Thanks for your input.....I have really been struggling......and am thankful for your thoughts and ideas
  #8   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 07:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 285/185/150 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 74%

josiekat, have you had your thyroid checked? I've actually been on Synthroid for hypothyroid for years and never had an issue of any kind, but after I quit smoking in January (18 weeks, 6 days, 8 hours, 32 seconds ago LOL) my weight loss came to a crashing halt.

A couple months ago I went to see the Dr. because I was still so tired and having trouble concentrating, and in a nutshell he said smoking can mask a hypoactive thyroid (because of the metabolism increase smoking gives) or keep an already hypoactive thyroid under medicated so when someone like me stops, my thyroid isn't getting that extra boost to compensate. We did a test and sure enough my thyroid counts were off. Now it's been about 2 months and we're still trying to get the proper dosage, but it's getting better. I have high hope when I retest in a couple weeks we'll be looking good on dosages

What all this means though is I was not losing, but instead of sticking in there after finding out my thyroid counts were off I went on a carb bender I'm just recovering from. I've gained about 20 pounds because I lost heart and gave up and now I'm so mad at myself I could spit, but what can one do except start over and keep trudging away at this.

Part of me wants to smoke to get that metabolism up there, but another part, the part that had a dear Aunt die from lung cancer, the part that sees a childhood friend’s mother battling her own lung cancer, those parts are keeping me smoke free. The Dr. said it will get better. I’m going to trust him on this one and I guess if I’ve turned in to super-turtle when it comes to losing so be it. I’m back on program, and the candy and sugar treats are kicked to the curb again!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 12:00

Plan: my own
Stats: 122/130/115 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress: -114%
Default congrats on the 11 months!!!

i just passed the 8 month mark, and my metabolism is not normal either. i started to gain weight after the first 3 months of no smoke. i've read that it does take a year to go back normal.

i have been watching the bad carbs, no sweets, but my scale does not move. i even joined the gym and exercised daily for months (during which i gained 15 lbs). i was at a point of giving up when i heard that it does take time for the body to adjust to no smoking. i smoked for 25 years (am now 38). so i am not surprised of this. my body probably does not know what is normal. so i decided not to be so strict on the food, and just watch the portions and wait it out.

i am just glad i don't smell of smoke, and so is my son
  #10   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 21:29
Recovering Yo-Yo

Hey everyone....thanks for your thoughts on this.

I did go to the doctor probably 4 months ago now because I stopped losing weight.....I was tired all the time etc.. She sent me for blood work and when it came back she said no diabetes, thyroid or any other problems indicated in the blood work. Is that the only test for thyroid problems? I figure it's got to be something and my best guess to date is just the change in my metabolism......sigh, sigh, sigh.....Kharma....I'm glad you were able to find the problem and get on meds for it.....there's nothing worse than when you feel like crap and can't do anything about it.

Golf.....congrats on the 8 months.....it is a huge accomplishment! Good for you. I wasn't careful about any food when I quit....I decided it was the carbs or the cigs....so I chose the carbs......I paid a big price in weight gain.....but I am hopeful that I'll get back down to where I was.....

Thanks again for your input....every little bit helps!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, May-21-04, 08:53

Stats: 180/179.8/130 Female 5'4.75"
BF:
Progress: 0%

That is not the only test for your thyroid. In the book Atkins tells you exactly what to get checked and it's not the every day type of test. I will do some searching and see what I can find for you.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, May-21-04, 09:02

Stats: 180/179.8/130 Female 5'4.75"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Here's what I found so far (Find out if your doctor did all these tests) (there are self tests in this article also):

http://atkins.com/Archive/2001/12/21-425982.html

"To ascertain whether you have hypothyroidism, your doctor will do blood tests to evaluate your production of thyroid hormones T4 (also known as thyroxine) and T3 (your body converts T4 to T3), as well as another hormone called TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone), which is produced by your pituitary gland. Practitioners do tests on free T3, T4 and TSH levels"

And Here #11 (is were I heard about the standard tests):

http://atkins.com/Archive/2001/12/26-51503.html

"Hypothyroidism, or underactive thyroid, is easy to diagnose, even though it doesn't always show up on standard lab tests"
  #13   ^
Old Fri, May-21-04, 16:26
Recovering Yo-Yo

Thanks Amy ~ You're a doll! I'll follow up with my doc.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jun-01-04, 19:12
{{{Kickin Ash}}}

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 223/190/160 Female 5ft8
BF:OUT OF CONTROL
Progress: 52%

Thanks once again Amy..This is somthing that is on my mind alot now since I quit.

Angel
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Jun-14-08, 08:45

Plan: none
Stats: 110/117/105 Female 1,55m
BF:
Progress:

Hi golfgal,

I read your post, and I think my situation is very similar to yours. I wonder how you are now, and how long did it take you to actually see dropping some weight instead of gaining.

I quit smoking for 5 months, and I am trying to do my best, but seems effortless. Does it really take that long for the metabolism react?