Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-12-17, 13:46

Plan: M-F vlc, looser LC wkends
Stats: 353.6/260.8/165 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 49%
Default Stillman's Summer Challenge 2017! Let's MELT AWAY the Pounds!

Hi everyone

As a long-term, very experienced ZC-er and VLC-er, having done both for many months on end, many different times in my life until now, I am now about to start my own person Stillman's challenge, for the rest of July and August.

The difference is - this time, I am doing it BY THE BOOK. ALL of my many previous attempts with Stillmans in the past have been deeply unpleasant, - because I was trying to be ULTRA strict.

Eating boiled chicken breast in broth, is not a long term diet - not even just for temporary weight loss! I also NEVER allowed myself any dairy on Stillmans, - even though his plan allows ALL kinds of skim and non-fat dairy options, including fresh cheeses.

I always allowed myself to eat full-fat dairy on Atkins, yet on Stillman's, I decide to punish myself even harder, and not even eat from what is on his allowed list? Torture!

So this time, I am doing my first Stillman's Challenge where I eat it as it was intended - and that includes non-fat dairy.

My Stillman's plan for the summer is going to be a variety of cycling fresh cooked protein options. I will choose the cuts that appeal to me, as on my grate on the grill, most of the extra fat melts away and drips out anyway. Nothing more drastic than that is needed. Fat still comes in at 30%-55% on Stillmans just from naturally occurring fats, and that is fine for health. But it is also WAY easier to lose with numbers in this range for a lot of people, than it is with fat at 75%-80% of macros. For me, and I expect for A LOT of other people too, it is also WAY easier to keep calories down, with higher protein and lower fat numbers.

I grill burgers ALL of the time. And I will continue to use 85/15, like I always do. ALL of the extra fat remains at the bottom of my oven broiler pan or grill, if I use my little grate. Chicken that has been roasted to the point that the skin is crunchy, for example, also has no "extra" fat left in the skin to speak of. It has all cooked off.

So my challenge is, please anyone come and join me, if you want to do this SAME plan with me!

The challenge is, committing through till September 1, 100%, no cheats. For me, that means even giving up the 2 tiny glasses of champagne I was having, 2 x a month.

I do consider that less than 5g added total carbs per day from net effect 0 carb vegetables like pickle slices and/or a couple of slices of peeled cucumber are FINE, in addition to everything that is already on Stillman's list - because in that quantity, they are used as a condiment. That would be what I would allow to make the plan doable. Dr. Stillman did allow condiments in general, but I don't eat relish/mayo/mustard/ketchup. So personally, I am trading in 2-3 pickle slices for the former.

I do think in general that tweaks are not ok, unless it's something that is clearly in line with the plan. Protein powder that has no added sugar and <1g fat per serving is about as far as I would tweak the original plan, and still consider that it's ok. For the most part however, sure; of course that cooked protein off the Stillman's Allowed Quick Weight Loss list should form the absolute foundation of ALL eating on this plan.

We can have a weekly weigh-in, and also a daily chat for support. If anyone is interested, please join me! I have a feeling this might end up being very lonely with just me in here ... but if anyone is interested, I would love the company!

Baseline:07/01/2017
Week 1: 07/08/2017
Week 2: 07/15/2017
Week 3: 07/22/2017
Week 4: 07/29/2017
Week 5: 08/04/2017
Week 6: 08/11/2017
Week 7: 08/18/2017
Week 8: 08/25/2017
Week 9: 09/01/2017

..........................WK 1........WK 2.......WK 3........WK 4.......WK 5.......WK 6
Honeypie........... -0.7 lbs

Last edited by honeypie : Sat, Jul-15-17 at 06:45.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jul-15-17, 06:28

Plan: M-F vlc, looser LC wkends
Stats: 353.6/260.8/165 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 49%

Baseline:07/01/2017
Week 1: 07/08/2017
Week 2: 07/15/2017
Week 3: 07/22/2017
Week 4: 07/29/2017
Week 5: 08/04/2017
Week 6: 08/11/2017
Week 7: 08/18/2017
Week 8: 08/25/2017
Week 9: 09/01/2017

..........................WK 1........WK 2.......WK 3........WK 4.......WK 5.......WK 6
Honeypie........... -0.7...........-6.0.........

I am down 6 lbs for my first week. And this was WITH being totally, completely fat-adapted already. I have been on induction since April 12th until now, so more than 3 months. More than a quarter of a year. And I only lost 20 lbs in all of that time. And in that time on induction, I was NOT abusing cheese. I was NOT eating any cream. And I did NOT have any nuts, seeds, peanuts, or nut butters.

I have not been hungry even one single time this entire last week, and I have been able to keep my calories around 1000 kcal every day, which is UNHEARD of for me, on a higher fat plan. My fat right now is coming in at 30-35% of my macros.

I am shooting for 150g - 175g grams protein per day (and hitting it). And I am feeling AMAZING.

Just fyi - my first week's results, I had not migrated onto this plan yet. I just chose the 1st of the month for a baseline.

Can't wait to stock up on a bunch of fresh farmer's cheese. Because I haven't allowed myself any farmer's chesse in YEARS. As in, not in well over a decade.

Last edited by honeypie : Sat, Jul-15-17 at 06:47.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-09-18, 11:10

Plan: IF+HP+Cycling+Stillman
Stats: 148/147/130 Female 5’6”
BF:29%/27%/20%-25%
Progress: 6%

Resurrecting another old thread. Any Stillman’s followers out there?

honeypie - were you also honeypie on LCF? That name seems familiar.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-11-18, 04:17

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Here's another even older thread, but it has more information to help anyone interested in joining you.
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...6&page=16&pp=15

I still reduce the amount of added fat at times, more a Dr Naiman type food list http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=479073 and add IF.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-11-18, 07:52

Plan: IF+HP+Cycling+Stillman
Stats: 148/147/130 Female 5’6”
BF:29%/27%/20%-25%
Progress: 6%

Thanks Janet!