Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Dec-01-11, 12:30

Plan: Just counting
Stats: 237/198/155 Female 64
BF:
Progress:
Default New and need help please!?!?

A quick back story to help y'all.

I went through an episode of hyPERthyroid about 5 years ago. Mostly caused by a virus they think.

At the time was TSH was 0.002. I don't recall the treatment as it was a whirlwind which included a cardioversion for severe palpitations and abnormal rhythmn. At the time antibody testing for Graves disease showed no auto immune issues.

Fast forward, after all of that I ended up with hyPOthyroidism. With a TSH of 9.14

My endo tested t3 and t4 etc everything was in range as he said and just plunked me on synthroid 150mcg. I stayed on this exact dose until yesterday. (during all of this I had a horrific pregnancy with the outcome being an amazing little girl who just turned 2).

Since having her I just haven't been my self. Docs kept brushing it off to I had a baby or my husband is deployed and I have a baby. Until I found a new internist and stopped seeing my endo.

I've had zero energy, memory issues, depression, short fuse, hair loss, dry skin, zero libido, abnormal menstrual cycles. The list can go on.

The new doctor is amazing in the fact that if I ask for a change, he does it. He just sucks at explaining (language accent barrier).

I went to him last week with my list of problems and asked if I could switch to Armour (through research). He agreed it was worth a try with the comment " you will be running back to synthroid in 5 months".

He ordered labs. I saw him yesterday. Said labs were fine but if I wanted Armour still we could try it.

He started me on 1.5 grain (90mg) for 6 months then return. I took my first today. Through research this doesn't seem correct to me. Shouldn't I need a higher dose titrating up since I was on 150mcg of Synthroid?

Also I can't decipher my labs other than my TSH which I know isn't indicative of my treatment.

I guess I'm nervous about taking this med. I've read some horror stories.

Also is Pam still around? I have been reading those forum before offically joining today and haven't seen anything recent from her. Is she ok?

Ok so lab results. A reverse t3 wasn't ordered.

TSH 0.93
T3 133.8
T4 13.0

Kidney function, metabolic panel, cholesterol all in a healthy range

Thank you so much for any insight.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Dec-03-11, 06:58
Registered Member

Plan: leanbodies consulting
Stats: 183/130/130 Female 5'4.5"
BF:lean
Progress: 100%

need lab ranges with that posted lab. Is it FREE t3/Ft4?

Do you take that 90 all at once? are those labs with Amour or the synthroid?
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Dec-05-11, 01:46

Plan: Just counting
Stats: 237/198/155 Female 64
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by inatic
need lab ranges with that posted lab. Is it FREE t3/Ft4?

Do you take that 90 all at once? are those labs with Amour or the synthroid?

blargh after reading around I believe that the labs are Total not free which annoys me. Those labs were taken on Synthroid. I just started the Armour on Thursday. While, I know it takes approx 6 weeks to optimize my dosage, I am already feeling less foggy which is great especially chasing a 2 year old.

I take 90mg in the AM just the once a day.

The reference ranges are as follows:

TSH 0.93 (0.34-4.82)
T4 13.0 (4.7-13.3)
T3 133.8 (80.0-204.0)

Just a sidenote. I was Diagnosed in Johns Creek where I worked in Dermatology.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Dec-07-11, 05:28
Registered Member

Plan: leanbodies consulting
Stats: 183/130/130 Female 5'4.5"
BF:lean
Progress: 100%

small world! Live right around the corner!

I'd personally split that dose to have the T3 last longer through the day and when you retest, insist on free T3/free T4. Test on the split dose.