Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-15, 13:41

Plan: Low carb, low gi
Stats: 210/159/154 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%
Default New Bloodwork, Type 2 and PCOS--Input wanted

Just sharing my bloodwork over the last 7 months (before low carb, after, after more)

July 2014 (Before WOE)
Hemoglobin A1c- 6.6
Triglycerides: 198
HDL: 42
LDL: 139

October 2014 (3 months into WOE + 2000 mg metformin)
Hemoglobin A1c- 5.1
Triglycerides: 98
HDL: 42
LDL: 133

February 2014 (7 months into WOE + 1000 mg metformin)
Hemoglobin A1c- 5.3
Triglycerides: 91
HDL: 46
LDL: 151

My doctor is happy with my numbers but might like lower LDL cholesterol. I'm a little disappointed that the A1C is a little higher and would like it to get back to 5.1. I do know that the body does what it does, but input is welcome.

Currently I eat low carb + low gi beans, around 75-80 total carbs and 30 grams fibre. I did find around December that dairy was stalling me even at 45 or less total carbs a day so I cut it out. I dropped another 5 pounds that month but am hovering around 169-70 for the last two weeks. I think this might also be because I'm quite close to "normal" BMI for my height (167 will be 24.9). I would love to lose another 15 pounds and keep my bloodwork great.

If you have any tips or encouragement for me, please let me know.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-15, 13:52
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

If you lower your carbs further, your numbers will fall further. It is as easy as that. Coachjeff discovered that too.

Congrats on the good work so far!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-15, 14:00

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 164/162.6/151 Female 5'3"
BF:Sure is
Progress: 11%

You're doing very well. What is your daily carb count? Protein? Protein partially metabolizes into glucose, so if you are sitting down to a big steak or eating too many eggs/protein powder, etc., that will affect BG as well.

It's a process of trying foods, testing your blood sugar afterward, and tweaking things for the next time you eat. I tested my BG 4-5 times a day while getting up and running on LC.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-15, 14:04

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonwtwindo
You're doing very well. What is your daily carb count? Protein? Protein partially metabolizes into glucose, so if you are sitting down to a big steak or eating too many eggs/protein powder, etc., that will affect BG as well.

It's a process of trying foods, testing your blood sugar afterward, and tweaking things for the next time you eat. I tested my BG 4-5 times a day while getting up and running on LC.

Thanks. My daily carb count was recently raised to 75 with 25 or more fibre. I was not losing at all on 30-40 grams of carbs but have lost 5 last month on this new carb count.

I don't eat more than 80-85 grams of protein. This protein includes very little red meat, no protein powder and never more than 2 eggs.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-15, 07:15

Plan: LC Primal
Stats: 290/270/160 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 15%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPrufrock
I don't eat more than 80-85 grams of protein. This protein includes very little red meat, no protein powder and never more than 2 eggs.

Okay, I agree with no protein powder. Soy is terrible for you and whey may stimulate insulin release. Now, no more than 2 eggs? How often?
And where do you get your protein instead?
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-15, 09:29

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
I'm a little disappointed that the A1C is a little higher and would like it to get back to 5.1. I do know that the body does what it does, but input is welcome.

The difference between 5.1 and 5.3 is too small to be certain that things have gotten worse--they may even have gotten better. Add to this the fact that your current A1C was achieved with half as much metformin, and I'd say the news is all good. With the metformin factored in, the A1C suggests an improvement in underlying metabolism, rather than a slight worsening.

Quote:
How accurate is the A1C test?

The A1C test result can be up to 0.5 percent higher or lower than the actual percentage. This means an A1C measured as 7.0 percent could indicate a true A1C anywhere in the range from ~6.5 to 7.5 percent. Health care providers can visit www.ngsp.org Exit Disclaimer image to find information about the accuracy of the A1C test used by their laboratory.

http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/A1CTest/
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-15, 07:34

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
The difference between 5.1 and 5.3 is too small to be certain that things have gotten worse--they may even have gotten better. Add to this the fact that your current A1C was achieved with half as much metformin, and I'd say the news is all good. With the metformin factored in, the A1C suggests an improvement in underlying metabolism, rather than a slight worsening.

http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/A1CTest/

Thank you! That is very encouraging.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-15, 07:37

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by s-piper
Okay, I agree with no protein powder. Soy is terrible for you and whey may stimulate insulin release. Now, no more than 2 eggs? How often?
And where do you get your protein instead?

I get most of my protein from chicken and fish. And I'm now down to a single egg for breakfast. Earlier I would have two maybe thrice a week.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Mar-02-15, 18:41

Plan: LC Primal
Stats: 290/270/160 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 15%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPrufrock
I get most of my protein from chicken and fish. And I'm now down to a single egg for breakfast. Earlier I would have two maybe thrice a week.

Okay well that makes sense. Honestly, I wouldn't worry about the eggs. I only asked because it didn't sound like you were eating much of anything, so a better way to phrase it would have been "How can you be eating low carb without eating eggs or meat?"
A single egg for breakfast doesn't really sound like much at all. Eggs only have 78 calories and 5 grams of fat. Not much to run on until lunch.
Chicken is fine as long as you don't get bored with it (I get bored with chicken really easily!), and fish is, of course, really healthy.
I agree the difference between and a1c of 5.1 and 5.3 is not that great. It could just be random variation, so I'd at least wait until you see what it is next time before you let it make you unhappy. Not sure why the LDL went up. Maybe because the carbs went up? Your triglycerides continued to go down, and HDL continued to go up, though, so that's a good sign.
Over all, I think you're doing well, and just be careful not to restrict too much.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Mar-08-15, 11:31

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 288/224.8/180 Female 66 in
BF:
Progress: 59%

I also have PCOS, type II and your numbers look fine. I wouldn't worry about the 5.3 because your metformin came down as well. Tweaking your carbs and protein will most likely get you the results you desire, but please do not get discouraged if it takes some time to get those last pounds off. PCOS is not weight loss friendly, and we each have to fine tune our eating habits to find what will work.

As for myself, over the decades, I have changed my numbers from a1C from 8.5 to in the low 5's for over 12 years, and this year I hit 4.9. I took myself off met 10 years ago because I didn't enjoy the side effects, and it didn't affect my numbers at all, but messed with my hormones, as you can expect.

Now at 44, and having been low carb for years, I was at a long stall, and have had to start changing my diet once again. I'm determined to lose this weight finally, and for me, that meant upping my fat intake.... by a lot. For the last few weeks, I've been investigating and starting the ketogenic plan.

Weight is once again going down, and without hunger pangs, even though my calorie count is much lower than the recommended levels. I just can't bring myself to eat more. Should you hit a stall, and you are still motivated to lower your weight farther, dip a toe into the ketogenic discussions, and decide if you want to take it a step farther.