Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, May-11-08, 13:30
Intermittent Feaster

Plan: DSTSS
Stats: 280/188/175 Female 67"
BF:
Progress: 88%

Revolution/Oopsie rolls make a great vehicle for sandwich fixings. Some people find them too "eggy," but with enough meat, mayo, and salad they're just fine. I particulary enjoy using them for sausage and egg breakfast sandwiches.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Jul-05-08, 14:28

Plan: Undecided atm
Stats: 162/000/115 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 345%

One of my old pp friends gave me this recipe many years ago and it's still a staple in my household.

1 cup tvp granules
1 cup sliced almonds
1/2 unsweet coconut
1/2 cup rolled oats
4 pkg splenda
2 TBL sugarfree maple syrup
2 TBL vegetable oil
small pinch of salt

In a large bowl combine dry ingredients. In seperate bowl, mix together syrup, oil and salt. Combine both mixtures and mix well with hands. Pour onto sheet pans and bake ~ 250 for about 45 minutes stirring about every 15 minutes.

Makes 6 1/2 cup servings

Calories 261
fat 18
carbs 14
fiber 6
net carbs 8
protein 13

My kids and I have had so much fun coming up with new flavors! Banana extract and sub pecans or walnut for almonds make something that is very similar to banana nut crunch cereal.

Maple and orange extract are also favorites. The kid batches get special treats like freeze dried fruit bits and sometimes a chocolate drizzle over the final cooked product.

I have never tried it without the oats but I'm sure you could just adjust the other ingredients and leave it out if you had to. Anyways, great stuff! The only thing I would suggest is don't let it sit in milk for too long cause it gets soggy fast.
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Aug-16-08, 13:50

Plan: Primal/Paleo/MyOwn
Stats: 187.5/168/132 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 35%

I rarely miss grains. In the past when I'd eat too much wheat (either white or whole) I'd end up with tummy churning and rumbling, and then suffer constipation.....so it's not hard for me to avoid it! The only reason I ate it back in the "olden days" was because I totally believed the hype that it's so good for you. I know better now, and my body thanks me!

My husband does sometimes eat the Mission Low Carb tortillas, and it helps him to stay on plan. I make "rice" out of cauliflower, which I love, (but then I love cauliflower in general) so I almost never even miss grains at all.

I emailed George Stella (of low-carb cookbook and show fame) because so many of the recipes in his first book required soy flour, which for thyroid issues, I won't use. He actually emailed me back and he said I could substitute finely ground almonds in place of the soy, although there may be some adjustments needed on the other ingredients in the recipe.
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Aug-16-08, 18:11
Registered Member

Plan: PPL Hedonist
Stats: 163/138.5/135 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 88%

One of the reasons I chose PPLP was the freedom to choose what foods I could eat to supply my carbs.
I eat a couple slices of a low carb bread about 3 times a week. So far, it has not caused any cravings.
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Aug-17-08, 10:40

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 215/164/158 Female 68 inches (5' 8")
BF:much/less/now :-)
Progress: 89%

Grains: Mostly, I'm grain free. I go weeks, months even, without. Then, (like the last couple of months) I eat low/lower carb grain products like wraps, tortillas, dreamfield's pasta, my own LC granola which has some oat and oat bran in it about once a week. I don't think grains are needed and I avoid them mostly because of a mild allergy to wheat and rye. Why eat them at all then? I keep the LC stuff around for my DF - if I can cook with these things, they keep some of the carbage out of the house and out of his meals. Also, sometimes I just want a piece of pie or pot pie - so I'm going to make a low carb piecrust instead of driving my self bonkers with cravings. It makes family dinners easier to navigate.

Soy: I also avoid this stuff in its unfermented forms. I've got problems with estrogen and I don't need anything that produces estrogen like effects in the body or promotes estrogen production. How far do I go? I don't think one needs to avoid soy oil, although I do buy canola oil mayonaise. The wraps I like have some soy flour, so I eat them very infrequently. I do eat fermented soy in real soy sauce and miso.