Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Dec-13-16, 20:01

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 310/300/150 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 6%
Default New (kind of)

I've been here before, but wasn't serious enough about getting healthy.

My doctor recommended this WOE a year ago as my triglycerides were high, my sugar was borderline high. I didn't listen.

So now my triglycerides are high, my weight is high and my blood sugar is now higher than ever...I will be diagnosed with diabetes if I don't get it down.

I"ve been back to this WOE for a week now and am already down 8 lbs. My blood sugar is improving as well.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Dec-13-16, 20:10
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Well done, sdd, and welcome back!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Dec-14-16, 04:37

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Welcome back, sdd
You are off to a good start, but looking at your previous posts, have you decided what you going to do differently this time to help you stay on plan?
On your profile your plan is "General" LC. You've read the Atkins book but that indicates you are eating your own way, and it really helps to have an exact plan to follow, especially to start. Consider picking a plan and stick with it exactly. Follow an induction level LC plan until you truly lose the cravings for Carbs. LC is so much easier if you are not fighting hunger and sugar cravings, and for some that may be longer than two weeks.
The Atkins 2002 induction plan is right here, http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=236482. Or check out the Two week challenge on DietDoctor https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb (it is the same program used at Duke and HealClinic)

Maybe starting a journal and posting everyday would help you stay accountable?
Or join a daily Buddy group? Reading about Diabetes http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=45 and CVD in those health forums may give you some new ideas. Or post at the triple digit club? Read a success story everyday? Ken has three inspirational milestones: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=475434

This forum has so many ways to help you stay on track through the holidays, maybe try each one and determine which option helps you the most to change habits, stay on a plan, and start on the road to good health. All the best,

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Dec-14-16 at 10:21.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Dec-14-16, 09:53

Plan: modified adkins (sort of)
Stats: 265/176/167 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

Hi sdd, Welcome back!

I read where you said that last time you were on low-carb, you started getting heart palpitations and that you were on a diuretic medication. Hopefully you have talked to your doctor since then about whether or not you should STAY on the diuretic meds while eating low-carb. Low carb is naturally diuretic so do ask you doctor about lowering or completely eliminating the diuretic medication. That could help you be more successful.

And join one or more forum threads where members post regularly to support one-another. And, consider starting a journal. A lot of folks find that keeping a journal chronicling their daily food intake, weight, and general feelings (especially about anything that is causing stress) is helpful. Do note that other members will pop into your online journal to offer support and suggestions but the folks here are all amazingly kind. You won't get any nasty spamming. We're all fighting the same battles and we pull FOR one-another!

You can also pop into other people's journals and read as much or as little as you like. It's a great way to get to know the real people behind those screen-names. And, if you have specific questions that you don't feel comfortable asking "in public" on the forum, you can send a private message to any individual member that you think might be able to help you out.

So do stick around and make some friends. You're going to like it here...and you're going to LOVE the new, thinner, healthier YOU that IS going to emerge over the next days, weeks, months, and years! Yes, you REALLY CAN do this! Many of us have done it or are in the midst of doing it and we are here to show you the way and cheer you on.

WELCOME!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Dec-14-16, 10:46
Memere to 4

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 227/199/150 Female 5ft 3in
BF:Too much
Progress: 36%

Hi Sdd
It sounds like your off to a great start, Congratulations!!!

And welcome back!! You can do this!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Dec-14-16, 20:11

BF:

I can't explain what is different this time, but I have a completely different attitude about all of this. I usually waver so much the first couple of weeks. I'm tempted by everything. I mean, even things I don't normally like.

I just know I HAVE to do this. I'm not questioning it. I'm not thinking "this one bite of ____ won't hurt me" like I did last time.

Something that completely shocked me yesterday.... My daughter said "Mom, are you not going to drink this Dr. Pepper? Can I have it because it's been in here for awhile." Now, mind you, Dr. Pepper is my downfall (normally). It tempts me like nothing else. But as many times a day as I get in the fridge to cook or get food for my little one, I didn't even NOTICE I still had Dr. Pepper in the fridge!

They say it's mostly the mind when it comes to dieting and I believe that.

As far as heart palps, this time I'm not having trouble with them. Nor am I having the leg cramps I had last time. The difference is that I'm taking in a LOT more water. Last time I didn't really worry too much about getting enough water. My doctor said that was part of my issue.

Thanks for the welcome and the kind words!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Dec-15-16, 03:59

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

That's great that you know your attitude is different this time. LC is not a diet you go on and off, it is a healthy lifestyle or WOE (way of eating).
Along with enough water, also be sure you have enough salt. A cup of boullion morning and afternoon is one way to get that; it's warming and helps with hunger too. Here is a good thread on how much salt: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...210#post8626210.
This time of year isn't easy to avoid all the sugary junk in our food environment, a time when having a plan with "bright line" rules with a list of allowed foods actually makes life easier. Hope to see you around

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Dec-15-16 at 04:16.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Dec-15-16, 07:13
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdd
I can't explain what is different this time, but I have a completely different attitude about all of this. I usually waver so much the first couple of weeks. I'm tempted by everything. I mean, even things I don't normally like.

I just know I HAVE to do this. I'm not questioning it. I'm not thinking "this one bite of ____ won't hurt me" like I did last time.

That was me this time, too. I knew I had to make this happen. No more excuses. It takes some determination at first, but it does get easier. Stay active here. Stay motivated, even on the hard days. Don't surrender to any impulse or craving to stray off plan. Make this how you eat everyday no matter what. Then watch out. Amazing things will come your way. You can do it!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Dec-15-16, 16:23

BF:

WOW Khrussva! Congrats! Did you have diabetes? (I noticed you have "Say no to diabetes" under your user name.