Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Nov-20-16, 15:18
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 265.2/246.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default Returning to Atkins

I did it, I hit 265 and nearly had a breakdown. The only thing I've been able to stick with when trying to lose weight is Atkins, but it's been years so I wanted to jump on into a forum to start.

I've had breast cancer and currently on the 5? year chemo pill Tamoxifen, also Glipizide for Diabetes and Trazadone for sleep.

My husband is very supportive. It's just the two of us in the house and I do all the cooking from scratch, so I'm unprocessed food only, but HE won't give up his bread, noodles & potatos. This weekend was pretty hard, I made the Christmas cookies for friends & fam

I work from home 10hrs/day 4 days/wk so pretty much sedentary until Thursday hits. Regular stuff like grocery shopping, running errands, housework & cooking. We are joining Planet Fitness ($10/mo) in December and working out in the morning after hubby gets home from work. I'm aiming for 4 days per week.

Anyway, wanted to say Hi Teri
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Nov-20-16, 15:27
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Welcome, Teri,

This is a great place. Very friendly people who are always ready to help.

There are lots of us here female and 5'2" tall. Hard to feel tall and slim, huh? Well, I'll never be that, but this is a great WOE.

I suggest you start a journal here. You can use it for anything you want within the forum guidelines. We're a good family.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Nov-20-16, 18:53

Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

I'm a whopping 2 1/2 inches taller than you. At least I seem to have stopped shrinking: I used to be nearly 5' 6".

This is a good place for both advice and companionship on your LC life. Welcome!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Nov-20-16, 19:45

Stats: 182.4/182.4/135 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi Teri! I'm returning to Atkins too! About 12 years ago I weighed myself and was 245 pounds (and I'm 5'1") so after trying a low fat diet and being so hungry I wanted to chew off my arm I tried Atkins. It was so great and I lost 110 pounds and kept it off for a while until I took a job that involved a lot of commuting and stress. The weight gradually came back 10 pounds year. I seem to be holding steady now at about 185 - but I am starting officially tomorrow morning so the weight will be official then . I'll be following Atkins 1972 edition. We can do this together!
Jennifer
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Nov-20-16, 20:33
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennjenn3
Hi Teri! I'm returning to Atkins too! About 12 years ago I weighed myself and was 245 pounds (and I'm 5'1") so after trying a low fat diet and being so hungry I wanted to chew off my arm I tried Atkins. It was so great and I lost 110 pounds and kept it off for a while until I took a job that involved a lot of commuting and stress. The weight gradually came back 10 pounds year. I seem to be holding steady now at about 185 - but I am starting officially tomorrow morning so the weight will be official then . I'll be following Atkins 1972 edition. We can do this together!
Jennifer
Just want to say that I've been using Atkins since the book came out in 1972. That was the year I had my daughter and my highest weight ever. Even though I stayed true most of the time, my body still keeps trying to go back to that highest weight.

It's a sad fact that we have to be vigilant. Carb creep leads to weight creep and we're right back where we started or heavier.

This forum can keep you true. Start your own journal. Find buddies. Read the posts and experiences of all these veterans.

You can do it. You can.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Nov-21-16, 06:20

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Welcome Teri (and Jenn)

Teri, some of those meds might make weight loss this time a bit slower, but you have two more important reasons to consistently eat a very low carb diet. Please read through the threads on the Diabetes forum, there are so many terrific new resources to help you Reverse your Diabetes. http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=45
First read the caution thread, here is a newer post in it. http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2015/...w-blood-sugars/
Also recommend this terrific 17 minute TedTalk, http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=467426. And everything on the new DietDoctor website: https://www.dietdoctor.com/diabetes

The second important reason to eat LC is its possible benefit preventing a cancer recurrence, why I started LC more than six years ago. I was also on tamoxifen and it did not prevent me from losing weight initially but any hormone type treatment (and our increased age) may slow the process. This is a super-simple explanation of sugar and cancer from CBN https://youtu.be/q2QRoNW3pQc . I am involved with my oncologists survivor clinic and keep up with many new articles, videos and books on this topic, happy to share them with you if you want to learn more about exciting new research.

Great that you avoid processed food and eat at home, easy to accommodate your husband with a loaf of bread or add potatoes to a dish only for him. I have a super skinny husband but he does not eat Wheat because doing that cured his Long-standing GERD. Sugar and Ice cream is far game for him Along with No sugar and No Grains/starch I also avoid all processed seed oils due to its possible role in cancer. Make my own mayo, rarely eat out because restaurants use the cheapest oils possible, and cook only with natural fats like olive, coconut, butter, avocado oil, etc.

The Atkins 1972 induction plan is a great place to start and stay if you have weight to lose. Dr Westman's Clinic diet, what is also used in the DietDoctor Two Week Challenge, is based on it but a bit stricter. For cancer prevention there other new resources on the ketogenic diet to consider. So much to read! this forum organized by topics allows you to dip into it as time allows, and is a huge help.

All the best to you both,
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Nov-21-16, 09:09
Registered Member

Stats: 265.2/246.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 13%

Good morning 😀 thanks for the welcome and all the info. I've been lurking lol for about a week now reading up on the board etc. Lots of helpful info!