Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-31-16, 11:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 182/182/142 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress: 0%
Question Hi and help

My name is Lisa. I have never been this heavy in my life. Just to give you a quick background, I lost my Mom in January, stopped smoking in May and also had a total hysterectomy in May as well. I must say, I feel great, but I don't look so good anymore.

I feel alone in this. I need help and encouragement. I plan to post my before picture this evening when I get home. I'm on break at work, and wanted to make a shopping list. What would you recommend that I always keep on hand? I have an induction menu, and I will follow that as well.

Also, how much exercise do you all get and what do you do? I wanted to join a gym, but I know I won't have success if I go alone.

And finally, do I have to give up wine and coffee all together during induction, or do any of you have weight loss success by allowing yourself the extra treats?

I look forward to getting help and advice, and soon hope to give it back!!

Thank you
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-31-16, 11:26

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa1017
...What would you recommend that I always keep on hand?...

Eggs if you can tolerate them. Next might be spinach, cabbage or bok choy. Meat would be chicken thighs or well marbled beef like a roast.

Those are just some ideas that come to mind.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-31-16, 13:39

Plan: ZC (started w/Atkins)
Stats: 164/132.8/124 Female 5x2"
BF:27%
Progress: 78%

Hi Lisa & welcome to a healthy way of life!!!

I am new to this form as well & am starting week 2 if Adkins Induction diet. BUT I can share what I have learned!

I keep hard boiled egg in the frig in the event I need a snack, also cream cheese & celery sticks are a good snack too very low carbs.
3 small celery sticks filled with cream cheese:
Carbs: 4.5 - Protein: 4.4 - Fat: 16.8 - Fiber: 1.7 - Calories: 181
3.9 x 1 Ounce (oz) Celery, raw
1.7 x 1 Ounce (oz) Cheese, cream
I weighed the celery before & after filling to get an a curate count!
Carrots are not good during induction because of their glycemic index!
No fruit for awhile!

I know coffee is allowed on induction but I think wine is not.

If you use artificial sweetners only use 3 packs a day & only use Splenda all the others are a no no.

Count your carbs & keep them under 20! VERY important!!!

You also want to get more fat than protein so bacon & very marbled red meat are great! I have enjoyed the taste of bacon & eggs so much I have eaten them for lunch & dinner some days lol!

Having a food scale helps take the guess work out of things! I got a small one at Wallyworld for $14.95! Game changer!

Tracking what you eat on the "My Plan" on this forum is a great way to see what you are eating daily! & a good way not to over do the carbs! Plus you can click & have that days food go into a journal so others can see & help you if need be!

If you have not read Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution book you should! VERY informative! You can download an ebook for under $7!

Eating any package foods that say "low carbs" is not a good idea because they always have hidden carbs, use artificial sweetners not allowed on Adkins & even artificial sweetners gives your brain a sweet taste that keeps those cravings coming back!

For some good tips look here:
https://www.dietdoctor.com/how-to-lose-weight#1

Hope this is some help for you!
Congratzzz on your choice of eating better & making the low carb way of eating your new way of life!

Last edited by Charms09 : Mon, Oct-31-16 at 14:23.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Oct-31-16, 15:25

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Hi, Lisa. You've come to a great place for not being alone. You've been through a ton of big change this year. Stopping smoking is probably the best thing you've ever done, and starting Atkins is the next best. You can do this!

Let's start with spelling Atkins (not Adkins) and reading the actual Atkins induction plan which is posted here at the Atkins thread. Click Here. I agree that you would do well to have your own copy of Dr. Atkins's New Diet Revolution. This book has been around for a while, but the tone of the writing is very upbeat and encouraging.

Don't worry about exercise for now. Get the eating going in the right direction, and you can add something pleasurable like walking as you feel like it.

Wine? No, sorry. Coffee? Mixed messages. Me? I could NEVER give up my coffee. As we often say around here, YMMV--your mileage may vary.

The main thing is: you're on your way to a way of eating you'll actually enjoy--enjoy enough to eat in a healthy way forever.

Best wishes.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Oct-31-16, 18:15

Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

One of the best parts of eating a low carb diet Dr. Atkins' way is that you don't have to force yourself to exercise. You'll lose anyway.

And then, what's even better is that, as you are losing and feeling even better (congrats on stopping smoking!) you will actually start to WANT to get moving.

I am so sorry about your mom. Mine has been gone for 19 years. It's always there, but I promise it gets less all-the-time painful. Consider this something you are doing in her memory, because moms want the best for their kids, right? And being healthy is the best!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Oct-31-16, 23:28

Stats: 176/154/155 Female 5ft 8 inches
BF:
Progress: 105%

Hi Lisa,
I'm on week 2 of induction too. I have coffee, but not with milk. Use cream, which has way less carbs than milk. Lots of low carbers have it with cream or double cream apparently. For my exercise I walk at least 3 times a week for 20 mins, and sometimes twice a day with a 15 min walk and a 20 min. I also dance a bit for 10- 15 mins. You don't have to exercise during induction though, in fact in A New Atkins for a New You they say not to and just let your body adjust.
You can do it.
Ignore standing on the scales for at least a week and measure yourself with a tape messure instead. I went and bought one and have lost inches because the water weight is coming off.
A good quote I read on this forum is dieting is hard. Being overweight is hard too. Pick your hard.
Cando.

Last edited by Cando4 : Mon, Oct-31-16 at 23:35.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Nov-01-16, 07:36

Stats: 182/182/142 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress: 0%

All the best advice in one thread. This helped me out this morning, especially with how much everyone knows and still in Induction.

Thank you everyone.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Nov-01-16, 07:40

Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Me! I used heavy whipping cream in my tea, as well as in the scrambled eggs I make each morning. Also to deglaze the pan when I make pork chops, and then it becomes a glorious sauce for the chops.

When you first start on Atkins, calories are not important. Paying attention to appetite and sticking to induction list foods is. Dr Atkins said to eat when you are hungry, and stop when you are not.

Eventually, calories may end up being significant. But for a lot of us, as we lose, our appetites shrink, so we naturally lower them. Before eating LCHF, I couldn't imagine being one of those people who talked about skipping meals because "I just wasn't hungry!"
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Nov-01-16, 09:47
Memere to 4

Stats: 227/199/150 Female 5ft 3in
BF:Too much
Progress: 36%

Hi Lisa, you have received a lot of good information.
I too keep easy grab snacks on hand. Devilled eggs and pickled eggs, pepperoni and Landjaeger Stix (0 carbs for mine) prepackaged hard cheeses in one ounce or less pieces and good ol' pork rinds (sparingly)

I quit smoking 13 months ago and did gain approx 25 lbs. in that time. The best decision I have ever made. Welcome!
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Nov-06-16, 20:11

Plan: Atkins, 2002 induction
Stats: 210/195/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 30%

Hi everyone, my sister is already in week three I believe of her induction and I'm still saying I need to join her as I'm stuffing my face,she has done many different versions but the 2002 induction food list is the only one she has lost with. We have a lot of questions though, it gets really confusing, but I'm excited to finally be a member of a forum. Maybe it will help me be accountable
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Nov-07-16, 07:21

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Welcome Kimwarner,
Consider starting your own Introduction thread and members can help you answer those questions and suggest the ways to support you. You can write in a journal, join buddy group, read back through success stories and milestones, or threads on the Atkins forum. All the best,
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Nov-07-16, 08:55

Plan: general lc
Stats: 214/146/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Hi Lisa! This go round, I did drink wine and caffeine (tea) during my first two weeks. I lost 10 pounds in 8 days. I figure I'm giving up bread, and that's enough of a sacrifice for me. Too much more and I won't stick with the plan. YMMV. The hardest part for me when I transition to ketosis is the trouble I have sleeping. I'm also a little grouchy, but I think that could be from the lack of sleep.

For me, one thing I always keep on hand is precooked chicken slices (like Perdue short cuts) and individual Wholly Guacamoles. I dip the chicken in the guac. I usually put a little salt on the chicken and for me it makes a decent snack. Somebody mentioned deviled eggs. That would be great for me, but I'm unlikely to make them. I do make crustless quiche and always have that in the fridge the first few weeks. Another thing I personally keep on hand even after induction is over is Bubba Burgers.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Nov-08-16, 02:03

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa1017
I'm on break at work, and wanted to make a shopping list. What would you recommend that I always keep on hand? I have an induction menu, and I will follow that as well.

Also, how much exercise do you all get and what do you do? I wanted to join a gym, but I know I won't have success if I go alone.

And finally, do I have to give up wine and coffee all together during induction, or do any of you have weight loss success by allowing yourself the extra treats?

Hi Lisa, welcome to the forum.

I keep a selection of meats in my freezer, which I try to remember to take out each morning to defrost across the day before getting home from work, although sometimes even now I still forget, hehe. Veges in the vege drawer like cauliflower, zucchini, spinach, lettuce, mushrooms, plus cherry tomatoes and strawberries when in season. Plenty of eggs, full-fat milk, cheese, butter, sour cream. Oh and macadamia nuts, mmmm...

Exercise is the half of the equation that I've been a little lacking in to date. I walk to work and back every day which is a 5km/3mi round trip, but not much other than that. I'm currently eyeing up additional home-based options, looking to get back on my bike etc, but no real routine established beyond the walking just yet.

Finally, I can't answer regarding the wine and coffee as I don't drink either of them myself anyway, but I did discover fairly early on that the wrong food would immediately cause me to stall for a few days or so, so I learned pretty quickly that I simply couldn't afford to cheat. It's amazing what hard results can do for one's motivation!

Good luck.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Nov-08-16, 11:32

Plan: Atkins 20
Stats: 237.6/150/155 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 106%

I don't think that what I did is any sort of great shining example, but it did work for me -- I kept drinking coffee with MILK (lattes!) on my version of induction (though I have since switched to cream) AND I drank one small glass of wine every night (I have since stopped drinking wine except very occasionally). Nonetheless, I lost nearly 15 pounds in 2 weeks on induction.

However, I now feel that cream is better in the coffee than milk, and if IO have wine in the house, I drink it too often, so I had to stop that.

In general, I still try to keep carbs between 20 and 30, even after 6 months of doing this. I am now losing weight VERY slowly (about 2 - 3 pounds a month). But that's okay -- I like the food, so I'm not tempted to go off plan, and progress is progress.

I do now think that the stricter you can be the better.... But if it works for you to have a few treats and IF you can control any urges and addictions associated with those foods or drinks, then fine. You'll find out soon enough.